Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B993 – Politics of Jealousy (Rectification) Bill 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    You can control the things in the exact way that I mentioned. Some people being born richer than others isn't an issue as long as there is social mobility. Money and wealth fluctuates, it can be gained and it can be lost, it doesn't mean that much at all when you get down to the bare bones of it.

If everyone knew that no matter how hard they worked, how much they accumulated, that it would all be taken away and not passed onto their children, do you really think that they'd be as productive, that they'd work as hard?

And your ad hominem didn't devalue mine.
    Yes but that is different...

Yes I do... I mean almost every country is more productive then the UK dispite us having, I believe some of the most generous inheritance laws...

What ad hominem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yes but that is different...

Yes I do... I mean almost every country is more productive then the UK dispite us having, I believe some of the most generous inheritance laws...

What ad hominem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In what way is that any different?

I'm not in favour of this bill, I think it's an example of the politics of greed. However, arguing for a 100% IT rate is what I'm arguing with you about.

look back at your posts.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    He got lucky he was born to you. I know you hate the fact that most of your wealth is due to luck but that is simply the case.
    also it is selfish, its wanting to live on and pass your genes to your child...
    Something being due to luck does not justify the state using its coercive power to fix what is perceived as an injustice by some individual in society. In life some people are lucky but some people are unlucky, tough, that is life, you have provided no argument for there being a need to remove luck.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    In what way is that any different?

I'm not in favour of this bill, I think it's an example of the politics of greed. However, arguing for a 100% IT rate is what I'm arguing with you about.

look back at your posts.
    one involves prevention of injustice the other is applied after the injustice has been done.

Except that I'm not saying 100%...
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Something being due to luck does not justify the state using its coercive power to fix what is perceived as an injustice by some individual in society. In life some people are lucky but some people are unlucky, tough, that is life, you have provided no argument for there being a need to remove luck.
    no person should be disadvantaged due to circumstances beyond their control as much as possible.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    one involves prevention of injustice the other is applied after the injustice has been done.

Except that I'm not saying 100%...

no person should be disadvantaged due to circumstances beyond their control as much as possible.
    That is your opinion, you have not provided any justification for why the state should choose to target luck, the state could leave bad luck for philanthropy to deal with.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That is your opinion, you have not provided any justification for why the state should choose to target luck, the state could leave bad luck for philanthropy to deal with.
    I take it that you believe that all people should work hard to get somewhere in life? That's why you are right wing because you believe that the state shouldn't be large and that people should work to do well. Such a principle is completely incompatible with the idea of monetary inheritance.

As for why, The answer is hope.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I take it that you believe that all people should work hard to get somewhere in life? That's why you are right wing because you believe that the state shouldn't be large and that people should work to do well. Such a principle is completely incompatible with the idea of monetary inheritance.

As for why, The answer is hope.
    No, I am of the stance individuals should work hard to better their own circumstances by choosing not to rely on handouts, if an individual has wealth at the start of life there is no need to work hard to better their circumstances; there is no contradiction. My political doctrine is simple, all people should work hard in life to better their circumstances, but if people start ahead of other people that is fine by me, circumstances can always be improved. It is vile to think the fortunate should be dragged down to be at the same level of the unlucky to bring equality because moves to do that are founded in jealousy, anger, and laziness.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No, I am of the stance individuals should work hard to better their own circumstances by choosing not to rely on handouts, if an individual has wealth at the start of life there is no need to work hard to better their circumstances; there is no contradiction. My political doctrine is simple, all people should work hard in life to better their circumstances, but if people start ahead of other people that is fine by me, circumstances can always be improved. It is vile to think the fortunate should be dragged down to be at the same level of the unlucky to bring equality because moves to do that are founded in jealousy, anger, and laziness.
    But that individual is relying on hand outs from their parents... So it is a contradiction.

It's not laziness, jealousy and anger... It's people seeing others which a massive head start and deciding that they can't win because they can't. And it isn't about dragging people down but raising them up.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.