Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Owen Jones embarrasses himself on Sky News debate about Orlando Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I have admitted multiple times the attack was homophobic, it was also caused by radical Islam I believe it needs to be said that this was both.

To ignore either part is a bad position to take as it doesn't fully describe what has happened.
    Oh sorry. I misinterpreted and thought you didn't acknowledge it was a homophobic attack. But yeah I agree.

ReputationRep:
    This attacker does not represent Islam and the vast majority of Muslims.

He represents a minority of psychopaths, who are currently misusing Islam as a justification for their actions.

Psychopaths exist in every walk of life, he and others like him are no different to troubled men from other backgrounds?

If ISIS represents the whole of Islam, do the KKK represent the whole of Christianity?

ReputationRep:
    3:08-3:12

Owen: "I'm being yelled at, this is incredible..."
    Julia: "You don't stop talking so we have to"

That woman is a piece of work, that's for sure... Not gonna even comment on her little bit at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Maybe the part where he said you can't possibly understand if you're not gay or the snide little comments, and who storms off a TV debate because someone disagrees with you lmao
    Funnily enough if this was any other member of society defending their group (e.g a Jew after an anti-semitic attack or a black man after a racial hatred crime) who acted like a biatch people would be here criticising them, the gays get a free pass to whine about whatever they want and all logic flies out the window

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    3:08-3:12

Owen: "I'm being yelled at, this is incredible..."
    Julia: "You don't stop talking so we have to"

That woman is a piece of work, that's for sure... Not gonna even comment on her little bit at the end.
    Dismissing other people's arguments because of their orientation will result in you being yelled at.

ReputationRep:
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    Dismissing other people's arguments because of their orientation will result in you being yelled at.
    Don't see your point. That wasn't her reason, nor is it a good reason to yell at someone anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Don't see your point. That wasn't her reason, nor is it a good reason to yell at someone anyway.
    Nor is it good to act like a spoilt brat on live television

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    Nor is it good to act like a spoilt brat on live television
    Call him what you will, I'm interested in the arguments not the way they were said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    He had just said it dismissing what they were saying and when they called him out for it he got upset.

If this had happened the other way around and someone had said "you don't understand this because you are gay" people would be outraged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Call him what you will, I'm interested in the arguments not the way they were said.
    He was intolerant of her opinion when he felt she was intolerant of what had transpired, so at best he's a hypocrite, at worst he's an *******.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

If this had happened the other way around and someone had said "you don't understand this because you are gay" people would be outraged
    Agree with this. So two faced and hypocritical lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He had just said it dismissing what they were saying and when they called him out for it he got upset.

What's your point?

(Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    He was intolerant of her opinion when he felt she was intolerant of what had transpired, so at best he's a hypocrite, at worst he's an *******.
    So you defend her opinion that it's okay to yell at someone in a discussion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    What's your point?

If you dismiss someone's view in such a way you should be prepared for people to react like that.

And the sjw's need to get consistent with their outrage.

ReputationRep:
    If you dismiss someone's view in such a way you should be prepared for people to react like that.

And the sjw's need to get consistent with their outrage.
    Again, what's your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epage)
    Okay, most members then.
    Where's the stats? Or are you basing this on your own assumptions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)

I defend her right to yell at someone in a discussion, he didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with her calling the attacker a lunatic ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildleaves)
    Whats wrong with her calling the attacker a lunatic ?
    Calling them a lunatic places them in the same bracket as those who are mentally ill. By stating that the person is a lunatic, you are drawing similarities between the attacker and those who are being treated for mental health issues.

It's an insult to those people who have mental disorders that are out of their control. To simply label someone with a term to fit society's view of them is wrong, and clearly demonstrates how incompetent she was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    Where's the stats? Or are you basing this on your own assumptions?
    I'm basing it on the assumption that all of the following support Owen Jones' and my view on Orlando:

LGBT MP for the SNP

LGBT journalist for the independent

Nicola Sturgeon SNP MP and Leader

LGBT Scottish MP

Wilson Cruz actor who is gay and lost a family member in the shooting

The Independent's view

go to twitter and search 'orlando attack on LGBT' you'll find many LGBT voices and allies also supporting owen jones etc.

do you want more?? because i could find more.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.