Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    From Wikipedia: Psychopathy (/saɪˈkɒpəθi/), also known as—though sometimes differentiated from—sociopathy (/soʊsiˈɒpəθi/), is traditionally defined as a personality disorder characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, diminished empathy andremorse, and disinhibited or bold
    behavior.

I'm not stating all terrorists have to be Muslim, as previously stated the IRA was around long before 9/11 etc. However you stated a guy just shoots up a bar because he's angry, I don't see how this is a terrorist? A terrorist is someone who aims to promote and enforce their cause through the medium of terror, therefore you need a cause to be a terrorist - which is typically but not always religious. Just shooting some people simply makes you a nutter with a gun. As you say, you won't get them to give up their beliefs, but you can still lock them up and throw away the key. No need to kill them.

Which points do you feel I have missed/ignored?

If you're referring to the example you gave with the women who were imprisoned and abused, I agree it's sick and the Japanese result was offensive in how limited it was. But I've not really got anything further to add to it.
    Oh ffs don't know where my response went. Think I clicked something so anyway gotta write it again, lovely:

you looked up psychopathy. I already said psychopaths have little remorse, but don't realise what they did. This is when I bring up missing my point and repeating things that I already said. Now look up sociopathy. I know what I'm talking about. Wikipedia is a collage of editors from different sources and sites. Go to a medical website and look up sociopathy.

Anyway again martyrs are doing it for religious causes. So it's not an emotional or mental reason they did what they did. It's off a set of beliefs that they have every right to believe as wrong as these beliefs might be to someone else. So you can't exactly counsel them to not believe something in a religion. As for the ones who go on mass homicide rages, they need all the help in the world, as I said possibly they can be rehabilitated. The other terrorists are so bad they go to Guantanamo Bay, as I said, and sometimes they can go free whether they mostly die there or not, because the Bay is run by the US judicial system which grants the right to be tried in court once charged, and sometimes they go free once tried. The pedos as I said don't always need to be killed depending on the extent of cruelty, and it's my right to think this. But they get out in no time with no rehab usually, as I've also said. So this is obviously dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    You looked up psychopathy. Now look up sociopathy. I already said psychopaths have little sympathy but said it's because they didn't reaise what they did.

Also wikipedia is a collage of editors from other sites. Go to a medical website and look up sociopathy. I know what I'm talking about.

Anyway anytime someone repeats something to me I've already mentioned as if I didn't mention it is what says to me, you're deliberately ignoring. Not saying you did, the rest of the sentence was that maybe you didn't even see the post.

because like I said martyrs kill because they have a cause. So it's certainly less likely an emotional reason that needs to be corrected. It's their right to a belief as wrong as it is that led them to kill for their religion. As opposed to angry people who kill, who probably just need to be talked down and get therapy. Sort out their issues. Right. As I said they're normally, the terrorists who don't off themselves, are put in Guantanamo Bay because they're so bad. They're not necessarily killed, people have been freed from the Bay because it's a US judicial system and in the US system you have a right to be tried to court. So sometimes they get off. But as for the ones who are domestic terrorists and go on mass homicide rages, they in my eyes, should be sentenced for life with no chance of getting out no matter how much people cry for justice on social media and the lot. But IF the cap punishment is brought, then I think and it's my right to think this, they should be the ones getting sent. Until then, lifers. Pedos can be rehabilitated because I feel it's a mental disorder so. But give them lengthy times because they get out in no time usually. With no rehab.
    Elivercury oh here it is. Thought it got removed.

ReputationRep:
    You looked up psychopathy. Now look up sociopathy. I already said psychopaths have little sympathy but said it's because they didn't reaise what they did.

Also wikipedia is a collage of editors from other sites. Go to a medical website and look up sociopathy. I know what I'm talking about.

Anyway anytime someone repeats something to me I've already mentioned as if I didn't mention it is what says to me, you're deliberately ignoring. Not saying you did, the rest of the sentence was that maybe you didn't even see the post.

because like I said martyrs kill because they have a cause. So it's certainly less likely an emotional reason that needs to be corrected. It's their right to a belief as wrong as it is that led them to kill for their religion. As opposed to angry people who kill, who probably just need to be talked down and get therapy. Sort out their issues. Right. As I said they're normally, the terrorists who don't off themselves, are put in Guantanamo Bay because they're so bad. They're not necessarily killed, people have been freed from the Bay because it's a US judicial system and in the US system you have a right to be tried to court. So sometimes they get off. But as for the ones who are domestic terrorists and go on mass homicide rages, they in my eyes, should be sentenced for life with no chance of getting out no matter how much people cry for justice on social media and the lot. But IF the cap punishment is brought, then I think and it's my right to think this, they should be the ones getting sent. Until then, lifers. Pedos can be rehabilitated because I feel it's a mental disorder so. But give them lengthy times because they get out in no time usually. With no rehab.
    We can agree to disagree on your definitions of psychopath/sociopath. It's somewhat irrelevant to the debate over capital punishment anyway.

Surely by the definition of the word the terrorist needs to die to be a martyr? You can't be alive and be a martyr. Therefore killing a terrorist is what creates one, not locking one up.

I agree that rehab and appropriate prison sentences are the way forward and that in most situations people should be given a chance to change and be released.

(Original post by cherryred90s)
    perhaps for serial killers/rapists/paedophiles who show no remorse. Why should they have the opportunity of being reintegrated back into society?
    yes! Yes! Yes! We need to bring it back for these scums!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    We can agree to disagree on your definitions of psychopath/sociopath. It's somewhat irrelevant to the debate over capital punishment anyway.

Surely by the definition of the word the terrorist needs to die to be a martyr? You can't be alive and be a martyr. Therefore killing a terrorist is what creates one, not locking one up.

I agree that rehab and appropriate prison sentences are the way forward and that in most situations people should be given a chance to change and be released.
    No it's not irrelevant and again you haven't proven that you're right and I'm wrong about the definition. It's not irrelevant because I've not spoon fed why I mention it?

With psychopaths they are given light sentences for claiming insanity...did you know that?
    Which is why serial killers are not considered psychopaths, most are seen as sociopaths and so they don't get off. They get life mostly, if not death. Now why would they get if they're psychopaths, when psychopaths instead get off and are sent to wards and asylums instead? But not sociopaths? Serial killers are put right there with all the other criminals, and live and might get out on parole, some were probably let out as I said in Cook County Florida because they just let people out, all sorts of people because it was overpopulated. So my point is, sociopaths>serial killers>terrorists>kidnappers. Ok? And they don't get off. Which means this applies to them, not getting death and getting lengthy sentences. When I think that they should get death if cap punishments exists, because they can't be rehabilitated, since their issues isn't mental.

(Original post by cherryred90s)
    Perhaps for serial killers/rapists/paedophiles who show no remorse. Why should they have the opportunity of being reintegrated back into society?
    Because the people in charge of the country are unbelievably fudging stupid aswell as stubborn. They are all into this human rights cobblers, even if your name is Hitler or Laden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Because the people in charge of the country are unbelievably fudging stupid aswell as stubborn. They are all into this human rights cobblers, even if your name is Hitler or Laden.
    Yeah because the allies really respected the rights of the captured Nazis...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if in the future there is a way to find out definitely without any doubt that someone is guilty of something. And what the person did was really bad.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not irrelevant and again you haven't proven that you're right and I'm wrong about the definition. It's not irrelevant because I've not spoon fed why I mention it?

With psychopaths they are given light sentences for claiming insanity...did you know that?
    Which is why serial killers are not considered psychopaths, most are seen as sociopaths and so they don't get off. They get life mostly, if not death. Now why would they get if they're psychopaths, when psychopaths instead get off and are sent to wards and asylums instead? But not sociopaths? Serial killers are put right there with all the other criminals, and live and might get out on parole, some were probably let out as I said in Cook County Florida because they just let people out, all sorts of people because it was overpopulated. So my point is, sociopaths>serial killers>terrorists>kidnappers. Ok? And they don't get off. Which means this applies to them, not getting death and getting lengthy sentences. When I think that they should get death if cap punishments exists, because they can't be rehabilitated, since their issues isn't mental.
    I said it is irrelevant because it is a side argument at best and I don't really feel like searching the internet for a link to a definition you will accept and agree upon. However as you would prefer not to let it go, I've one attempt:

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archive...-vs-sociopath/

This is obviously a blog article so I'm hardly going to treat it as gospel, it also doesn't go especially in depth and is quite high level. However it more or less reflects my understanding of the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath and I agree with it on the whole.

Psychopaths are incapable of feeling guilt/empathy, it is something inherently missing and they have absolutely no control over it. This is not to say that they have no control over their actions, they are fully aware of what they do they just feel no guilt or remorse if they do something bad. Apparently 1/50 people is a psychopath, however they manage to live perfectly normal lives.

A sociopath on the other hand has been conditioned to not care about other people except for themselves and tend to be a lot more unstable.

I'd agree that you're more likely to get through to the psychopath and rehabilitate them, not because they didn't know what they were doing is wrong necessarily, but because their lack of empathy/guilt does not stop them from recognising that it is in their own best interests to comply with the law. Likewise there is ultimately nothing they can do about their "condition".

If you disagree and would like to provide a superior article/definition from a medical website then feel free, I would be interested to read it. I still maintain though that it's at best a side issue as far as capital punishment is concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    Yeah because the allies really respected the rights of the captured Nazis...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not to mention the American soldiers (and some British) were incredibly friendly towards the native Iraqi's, if you would like a more recent example of how lovely we are.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think Gandhi's quote, "An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind", sums this issue up.
    I can understand the view point that we should have it, but personally I think a life without parole sentence is sufficient punishment.
    After all, killing the killer let's them out of their punishment sooner, right?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.