Turn on thread page Beta

Is it harder to get the grades at Oxbridge? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why you are so fussed Jools. You're pretty much set up for life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Like they should have worked harder perhaps?
    Yes, that they would have needed to work harder to be on level ground with someone else who did half the work they did.
    Oh btw, I spoke to my mum over dinner. She said she had to do 4 or 5 papers per week plus reading for tutorials.
    That is for each of three subjects.
    :eek:
    Whilst at Glasgow you have 4/5 papers + reading for tutorials weekly, for the same subject at ___ uni you'll have 1 paper per fortnight.

ReputationRep:
    Like they should have worked harder perhaps?

Oh btw, I spoke to my mum over dinner. She said she had to do 4 or 5 papers per week plus reading for tutorials.
    I agree.

What about degrees such as law? (the content of which is decided by the law society). I think the idea that a degree from Oxbridge is any harder is a bit silly with a sprinkling of snobbery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I know, I was saying this! Everything that bothers me in education - this thread's topic, top-up fees, anti-50% targets, (positive) discrimination, NUS's "representative" whinging etc is actually of no relevance to me.

Bah, you're all a waste of my time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    I agree.

What about degrees such as law? (the content of which is decided by the law society). I think the idea that a degree from Oxbridge is any harder is a bit silly with a sprinkling of snobbery.
    You really think so?

ReputationRep:
    Do you get 2 essays a week at every other university which does LLB Law?

ReputationRep:
    I gather it is not that harsh - at least in the arts - right now. A friend of mine went there, and she was expected to produce an essay of roughly equivalent quality to my weekly essays every fortnight. HOWEVER, with twelve week terms, that means she produced six of them (only two less than I do a term), and hence the workload there for her was more spaced out, but worked out to almost (though not quite) as much as she would have to do a term in Cambridge. This is why Glasgow is at least in my mind a good university and one I would rank quite highly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Do you get 2 essays a week at every other university which does LLB Law?
    I have friends at LSE who on average get this and sometimes more.

I also have friends at Kingston and Surrey who i know get around the above number of essays a week.

ReputationRep:
    I have friends at LSE who on average get this and sometimes more.

I also have friends at Kingston and Surrey who i know get around the above number of essays a week.
    Now look at unis at the bottom end of the table which offer LLB Law. They won't have 2 essays a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Tell me about it. :rolleyes:
    Poor underpriveleged Oxford students eh? :rolleyes: Whatever next?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Now look at unis at the bottom end of the table which offer LLB Law. They won't have 2 essays a week.
    Kingston is near the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    Poor underpriveleged Oxford students eh? :rolleyes: Whatever next?
    Well we have a lot of protestors whinging that we have to pay tuition fees, that some of us need to work, that we're living in poverty... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Don't even mention tuition fees...... :mad: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Well we have a lot of protestors whinging that we have to pay tuition fees, that some of us need to work, that we're living in poverty... :rolleyes:
    Probably whinging that mummy and daddy have reduced their allowance from 2 zillion pounds to 1 zillion.

ReputationRep:
    Kingston is near the bottom.
    One thing that would counterbalance Acalia's accusation that this is "intellectual snobbery", i.e. workload related to league table position, is that a lot of it is quite random. For several courses at Nottingham, Sheffield, Leicester etc they have one short essay a term. Whereas I have a few mates at Teesside up to their eyeballs in work constantly.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I'm calling intellectual snobbery dear

ReputationRep:
    (Don't even mention tuition fees...... :mad: )
    No, don't get me started either

ReputationRep:
    {stomps on stupid 50% idiocy}

ReputationRep:
    {stomps on stupid 50% idiocy}
    Isn't Scotland over the 50% mark already?

ReputationRep:
    It's around it. Still doesn't make it right.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.