2017 Uni of Bristol applicants mega-thread

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me how likely i am to get an offer?
    i got ABC at AS however i am predicted A*AA (Too complicated to say, but lets just say my AS results shouldve been AAB lol )

I am applying for aerospace enginering, the requirements are A*AA.

I have quite a strong PS

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for BSc Sociology (and sociology with year abroad) for 2017 start, but my AS grades were pretty bad (CDD) because of family problems in the run up to exam season.
    My teachers have told me that they will mention my circumstances re my AS grades in their references, and I'm still predicted the ABB that I need to get an offer, but will my AS grades affect my chances of getting an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewelshtart)
    I'm applying for BSc Sociology (and sociology with year abroad) for 2017 start, but my AS grades were pretty bad (CDD) because of family problems in the run up to exam season.
    My teachers have told me that they will mention my circumstances re my AS grades in their references, and I'm still predicted the ABB that I need to get an offer, but will my AS grades affect my chances of getting an offer?
    If you can get your extenuating circumstances through to the University it will help a lot.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/applicants/...circumstances/
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-libra...ances-form.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    Can someone tell me how likely i am to get an offer?
    No-one can tell you this - for any subject, at any Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewelshtart)
    1) Only apply for one of those courses as its exactly the same course, just one is 4 years long, and the other is 3 years long. For this reason you wont get an offer for both, so go for one choice and pick another course for the other choice (Social Policy? Criminology?), otherwise they will reject you for one of them and so its a totally wasted choice. You stand as much chance of getting an offer on one as the other (promise) so just pick the one you want most.

2) Bristol doesnt look at AS grades. If your predicted grades meet the course requirements, that's all they will look at.

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm applying for English literature, however I got a C in my french AS (the subject I dropped) but as I'm on the new syllabus i don't have any other AS grades. Is It worth submiting a bad grade or would It look better as I did 4 subjects? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabelle99)
    Hello I'm applying for English literature, however I got a C in my french AS (the subject I dropped) but as I'm on the new syllabus i don't have any other AS grades. Is It worth submiting a bad grade or would It look better as I did 4 subjects? thanks
    You have to declare all grades on UCAS. But as per returnmigrant post above, Bristol doesn't look at AS-levels anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little concerned about hearing how only around 30% of law students at Bristol get a 2.1 or better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    I'm a little concerned about hearing how only around 30% of law students at Bristol get a 2.1 or better...
    Where did you hear that?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You have to declare all grades on UCAS. But as per returnmigrant post above, Bristol doesn't look at AS-levels anyway.
    Hey, how do you know Bristol don't look at AS Grades???

I got a U in general studies, it would be great if they don't see it xD

ReputationRep:
    Some quick Googling found this:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...fication_law_2

which requested LLB classifications from 08/09 to 13/14

In 2013/14, over 84% got a 1st or 2:1
    In 2012/13, over 76% got a 1st or 2:1

I'm sure the university would be happy to give more recent figures if you ask for them.

ReputationRep:
    nope

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subje...eturnTo/Search

1st 7%
    2:i 74%
    2:ii 18%

ReputationRep:
    Not sure where you read that, but it's certainly not true.

ReputationRep:
    Any econ offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JP0458B)
    Any econ offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yh i got mine on wednesday pretty much the day after i sent it, hoping i get an offer for economics and finance as well

ReputationRep:
    That's only for the first year (which doesn't count towards your degree).. It then improves massively.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Applied for biochemistry at UCL, Manchester, Liverpool & Warwick. Then cellular and molecular medicine at Bristol. UCAS have my application & it's been sent to all my choices but no acknowledgement emails or offers back from any universities yet!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heffalumpys)
    Just got an offer from Bristol which is pretty exciting, anyone else get any offers yet??
    Same, i got an offer earlier this week! and my friend got an offer for physics last week as well! it looks like there quite quick on replying this year which has been a relief

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else applying for Biology? i got an acknowledgement email on tuesday morning and then was given an offer of BBB in the evening Honestly so thrilled right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)

I got a U in general studies, it would be great if they don't see it xD
    No University cares what you got in General Studies, its a totally meaningless A level,

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.