Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everglow)
    Nigel Farage is not the chancellor or the PM - how do you expect him to have any say in how the money is going to be spent?

We haven't even left the EU yet and won't for a number of years. Only after we've left can there be any legitimate demand for another referendum. Calling one because the pound has dropped or because Cameron has quit is nothing short of a knee-jerk reaction. The pound will recover and we will have a new PM in the next few months. Not everything happens overnight.
    We haven't even left the EU yet and all these things have already happened, what do you think will happen when we do actually leave?
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Midgeymoo17)
    Correction this petition is not ridiculous. Firstly it was not retaliation to the result. The petition received more than 100,000 signatures before the announcement of the result and was in itself created over two months ago. It is not really fair to say that asking the Government to consider how representative the Referendum was of public opinion before acting on the result is ridiculous. This is point Particularly heightened by the standards used in statistics dictate that the result is considered statistically insignificant.

Secondly while I would tend to agree the explosion of sharing a signing is a retaliation to the result, people signing might just have a point as the South East was a remain strong hold. In the South East there has been fairly extensive flooding for the last two weeks and suddenly the turnout at the polls was significantly poorer than expected when compared with the previous general election. If there turn out was affected by the flooding- could you really consider this a democratic decision as people from the South East were poorly represented through no fault of their own.
    Lets just rehold any elections affected by floods then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Ludicrous. Everyone's vote was equal in value, it was a fair vote and a clear cut win. The EU referendum was done so that whichever side got the majority of the votes would win, even if there was only 1 vote in it. Pre-referendum no one complained about this, but post-referendum it's suddenly a bad thing because the remain camp lost. You lot need to grow up.
    Petition was created before referendum- so the comment no one complained about this pre referendum is the biggest load of hot air I have ever heard. Petition reached 100,000 before the result was announced- therefore would have to be debated in parliament what ever the outcome. Petition was not result retaliation- reached 100,000 before result announced and called for the same on both sides.

And right now I think you might be living in a bit of a bubble about the definition of a fair win. Yes everyones vote is counted equally. However due to flooding on major rail lines (include the mainline out of Waterloo) and roads in the south East a significant number of people who wished to vote could not reach the polls- are you suggesting we should just ignore the voice of these people? Personally i think thats unfair. Hence not a completely fair Brexit Win as the South East was fairly strongly pro remain. If you think I am making the flooding up I suggest you may wish to exercise the power of google. The injustice to the South East has been reported in the Independent, Guardian and the Times.

And rather than us lot growing up maybe you lot suggesting that the petition is ludicras need to think more critically about what is written (or perhaps firstly learn to read???? you demonstrate an epic lack of ability to actually understand what the petition is calling for or its intention as it applied equally to both sides) and learn to evaluate the role of externally acting factors that can bias an outcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    Lets just rehold any elections affected by floods then...
    Personally I would be happy with that. Its not the inference of a second referendum I would want. It was the call in the petition to parliament to consider the statistical significance of the result- particularly in light of the factors effecting the South East.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    No, you see those sufficiently concerned about this outcome to sign a petition that sadly is never going to succeed are trying to not be stranded in a country inhabited by intolerant people.
    No it isn't even remotely close to the case. It's them trying to force their beliefs and principle through.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Guys this is stupid as heck. Leave one fair and square. We don't need a second referendum for the butt hurt remain side. Just grow a pair and accept you lost. You can't always win a vote, thats the point of why there even was a vote in the first place. Its obvious that if over 17 million voted to leave, that people were serious about it.

Look, I am a remain voter, but the result should not stimulate polarisation in this nation. If we can reclaim solidarity, promote social cohesion, then there is a chance the economic ramifications of this matter can be heavily mitigated. Expressing frustration is far more immature than productive, we can only move on and deal with the reverberations. Crucially, this would hold far more tangible benefits conducive to the recovery of our economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom y humber)
    No it isn't even remotely close to the case. It's them trying to force their beliefs and principle through.
    No, forcing it through would be going beyond the boundaries of what is allowed as part of our democratic process. They just started a petition.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like something social justice warriors would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiba_Inu)
    Guys this is stupid as heck. Leave one fair and square. We don't need a second referendum for the butt hurt remain side. Just grow a pair and accept you lost. You can't always win a vote, thats the point of why there even was a vote in the first place. Its obvious that if over 17 million voted to leave, that people were serious about it.
    As I have pointed out above due to the nature of the whether in the South East and flooding on the mainline out of Waterloo- the claim leave won fair and square is more debatable than it should be.

ReputationRep:
    Surely there is a margin of error of x%?

I don't think a 2% win either way should be sufficient to determine the result of such a referendum.

Secondly, this referendum vote means absolutely nothing.

Check this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post66074851

Look, essentially I am a remain voter, but the result should not stimulate polarisation in this nation. If we can reclaim solidarity, promote social cohesion, then there is a chance the economic ramifications of this matter can be heavily mitigated. Expressing frustration is far more immature than productive, we can only move on and deal with the reverberations. Crucially, this would hold far more tangible benefits conducive to the recovery of our economy.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Sore losers - the petition should be immediately dismissed and the result of the original referendum stand. Only one place on earth re-runs referendums to get the 'right result' and we've just voted to leave it.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Midgeymoo17)
    Personally I would be happy with that. Its not the inference of a second referendum I would want. It was the call in the petition to parliament to consider the statistical significance of the result- particularly in light of the factors effecting the South East.
    The defecit may have been smaller but I doubt 1.3 million remain voters were affected by the floods.

I also doubt whether if 'remain' had won the referendum, you'd still be calling for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    The defecit may have been smaller but I doubt 1.3 million remain voters were affected by the floods.

I also doubt whether if 'remain' had won the referendum, you'd still be calling for this.
    I think you would be surprised at the number of Voters actually affected. At least three polling stations had to actually be physically moved with no warning voters. Waterloo Station (main line to South East ) had to close due to an overcrowding from stranded travellers. One polling station shut on the day with no alternative location for voters to vote at. Granted you probably would not have got 1.3 million- but estimates do rrun easily higher than can be considered acceptable for the result to be considered completely fair and democratic.

And yes you are probably right because if remain had won I would probably not have looked beyond the end of my nose about how fair the vote was as I quite frankly still have 4 A level exams to worry about. However, if someone had alerted to me to an injustice of that scale on the leave side I would be equally concerned about the fairness of the result. .

ReputationRep:
    There should be a petition for fair age limits. If people below the age of 18 cannot vote, then why is it that people aged 65+ are allowed to vote for something that will affect a future they won't even be a part of for much longer?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully they will trigger Article 50 within the week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    There should be a petition for fair age limits. If people below the age of 18 cannot vote, then why is it that people aged 65+ are allowed to vote for something that will affect a future they won't even be a part of for much longer?
    This was debated and decided in Parliament last year. MPs voted 303 to 253 to reject a proposal for 16 and 17 year olds to vote in the referendum.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I for one am looking forward to October when we'll have a Prime Minister no-one voted for, a House of Lords stuffed with people no-one voted for and a Queen who, unsurprisingly, no-one voted for either.
    You don't vote for a pm you vote for an mp to represent your constituency

ReputationRep:
    No, forcing it through would be going beyond the boundaries of what is allowed as part of our democratic process. They just started a petition.
    What is the end goal of the petition?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.