The Student Room Group

What does Brexit means for young people? Your questions answered

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gbanzer89
Even after 2 years nothing will change, that is unless the UK holds a referendum to also leave the EEA, but doing so would be absolutely disastrous because that is our last chance at trading with Europe, and the EEA also provides right of free movement across the EU and Swiss/Liechtenstein/Norway (non-EU countries that are signees in the EEA)

See http://www.efta.int/eea

If we leave the EU we would have to join EFTA to be part of the EEA. We left EFTA in 1973 http://www.efta.int/about-efta/european-free-trade-association.
That transition to join EFTA isn't a guaranteed outcome and there's no guarantee that membership could be negotiated without a break affecting free movement.
Reply 101
Original post by gbanzer89
Even after 2 years nothing will change, that is unless the UK holds a referendum to also leave the EEA, but doing so would be absolutely disastrous because that is our last chance at trading with Europe, and the EEA also provides right of free movement across the EU and Swiss/Liechtenstein/Norway (non-EU countries that are signees in the EEA)

I thought immigration is one of the key "Leave" arguments though? :confused:
Original post by Magdax
Thank you, so the changes do not come in before 2 years? I have read on sites that some of them are made before.

So if immigration rules only changes at the end, should I come in sooner as a freelancer and then I am likely to be able to stay? Or does it not affect visa application?

There's no timeline for negotiation yet - there's no official notification to the EU that we want to leave planned until October.There is a definite 2 year period once the UK government send official notice to the EU to negotiate the terms of leaving. It might be that terms are agreed within that period but they aren't likely to happen until the end of the period of negotiation (so they might say 12 months in "this is how we're going to handle EU citizens living in the UK and UK citizens living in the EU" but that just gives everyone 12 months warning and time to prepare)

Noone can predict what will happen with immigration rules but generally if you can demonstrate ties to the UK through living and working here for a period of time then that will count in your favour if freedom of movement rules are changed.
Reply 103
Original post by PQ
There's no timeline for negotiation yet - there's no official notification to the EU that we want to leave planned until October.There is a definite 2 year period once the UK government send official notice to the EU to negotiate the terms of leaving. It might be that terms are agreed within that period but they aren't likely to happen until the end of the period of negotiation (so they might say 12 months in "this is how we're going to handle EU citizens living in the UK and UK citizens living in the EU" but that just gives everyone 12 months warning and time to prepare)

Noone can predict what will happen with immigration rules but generally if you can demonstrate ties to the UK through living and working here for a period of time then that will count in your favour if freedom of movement rules are changed.

So the 2 years of the Article 50 applies after October only? :colondollar:

I see, would you recommend then moving before the 2 years is up (if I come as a freelancer after it would be hard to demonstrate ties) :smile:
Original post by PQ
See http://www.efta.int/eea

If we leave the EU we would have to join EFTA to be part of the EEA. We left EFTA in 1973 http://www.efta.int/about-efta/european-free-trade-association.
That transition to join EFTA isn't a guaranteed outcome and there's no guarantee that membership could be negotiated without a break affecting free movement.

Interesting, I never thought of EEA membership being revoked as a result of leaving the EU. We left EFTA if I remember correctly because until now, EFTA was useless as we gained EFTA benefits automatically as an EU state.

God I hope we regain EFTA membership!
Reply 105
How will this affect the dependency ratio and trade taxes? Because I'm assuming more pressure will be put on us young people as we have an ageing population already, and less people of the working age will be moving to the uk from the eu? And trade taxes will be introduced because we get free trade from the eu and we don't have the resources to maintain our own economy sustainably so all that will collapse making it more expensive to live here?
I am a 16 year old Dutch passport holder living in the UK for 15 years of my life. How will Brexit affect me and my chances of getting into university and funding for university?
Original post by TheWeekday
I am a 16 year old Dutch passport holder living in the UK for 15 years of my life. How will Brexit affect me and my chances of getting into university and funding for university?

If the Dutch government allows dual citizenship then you are eligible to apply for British citizenship: https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen

It costs a bit (~£1200 atm) but that would guarantee you will be treated as a British citizen for university fees and funding and for work purposes.

Be sure to check that you can get dual citizenship with the Dutch passport though - that way you have the freedom to live in the EU guaranteed as well.
I've been living in the UK since 2014 (originally from Greece) and I was planning to apply to British universities in 2016 for a 2017 entry. I was relying heavily on my eligibility as an EU national to apply for a student loan. How will Brexit affect those plans? Will I be eligible for a loan as long as I apply for it before Brexit is finalised?
If scotland leaves britain, will we have to pay international fees at university?
Will EU students be classified as international students? I've applied for student finance & im enrolling for uni in October, however I'm fearing that Brexit will mean that they'll consider me as an international student when it comes to re-applying for student finance next year?
Original post by PQ
If the Dutch government allows dual citizenship then you are eligible to apply for British citizenship: https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen

It costs a bit (~£1200 atm) but that would guarantee you will be treated as a British citizen for university fees and funding and for work purposes.

Be sure to check that you can get dual citizenship with the Dutch passport though - that way you have the freedom to live in the EU guaranteed as well.

Ah right. Thanks for the reply. But what if I didn't apply for a British citizenship in the 2 year space that I was to apply and hopefully get into Uni. Would the full force of Brexit have taken place by then or no? Thank you again.
Reply 112
Will my job prospects in IT or Business be less due to the Brexit? I am due to go to University in 2017, will study abroad courses be different?
Reply 113
What's going to happen to the Erasmus scheme? I'm presuming we will no longer be eligable, but where will funding come from?
Reply 114
I am an EU student (Germany) who originally had American citizenship (now German) I start my 4 year course in September 2016.
Will tuition fees rise and the student loans company reject us EU students? I've gotten my tuition fee loan confirmation this year..what about the other 3 years?
I've also been in a long distance relationship between England and Germany for nearly 3 years. What will our fate be once the UK cuts its ties with the EU? Will I ever be able to move in with him?
What will be the long-term implications on the economy, what are the ways things could backfire and what are the ways they could give us a great boost?
I'm a British student, and go to University in 2 years: I've always to study abroad in the Netherlands. Will this still be possible? If so, is it going to cost more money or something? - what are the effects of leaving the EU on my decision to study abroad?
Hold that result.
BBC NEWS. 11.03

David Cameron saying he would step down as prime ministerImage copyrightREUTERSImage captionDavid Cameron said he would step down as prime minister after the UK voted to leave the EUA petition calling for a second referendum on UK's membership of the EU has gained more than one million signatures following the vote to leave.The petition will be discussed in Parliament after it reached the 100,000 signatures needed to trigger a debate.The UK voted to leave the EU by 52% to 48% in Thursday's referendum but the majority of voters in London, Scotland and Northern Ireland backed Remain.
What about the year abroad on a language degree course? and the Erasmus programme?
what happens to those students like me that are enrolling into a UK's university? I have to do 3+ years of university. What will happen to the student loan that I'm able to ask right now? From 2018 do I have to pay the fees as an international student? I am worried because I don't know if I should enroll since I already know that I'll never be able to pay 12,000 pounds upfront...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending