Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who voted remain who aren't being dramatic and ridiculous post Brexit decision Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cecily Neville)
    I'm not being patronising, I'm being rational.
    You consider telling people to stop whining and discuss the benefits of brexit to those who clearly support remaining in the EU, to be rational?

ReputationRep:
    Again, this assumption that remain voters are somehow inherently better or more intelligent? Wtf.
    More educated /= better but according to stats we are more educated.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for making this thread. I've stated my beliefs since the vote but not intended to be rude to anyone spefically. (And if I have I apologise, but I can't help but be passionate). If anything I'm just genuinely frightened of the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    But if that is true, then you simply did not feel as strongly as others did about the issue in the first place. Your reaction is not a strong as those you referred to as 'cry babies' because you didn't hold as strong beliefs as those (including myself).

That is fine, and to be honest I envy that. To not care about this issue as much. But you have to see that others felt a lot more strongly about this than you. And I don't see anything wrong with that.
    I do care about this country and its future. Just because I didn't have a strong opinion either way doesn't mean I care less? Polarisation of opinion doesn't always equate to how much one cares.

ReputationRep:
    Again, this assumption that remain voters are somehow inherently better or more intelligent? Wtf.
    Well, Leave voters are less likely to have a degree.

Now.....are those with degrees likely to be more intelligent? Probably.

ReputationRep:
    For what it is worth, I work for somewhere with offices across the world. Getting visas to the US is extremely difficult and costly and a huge barrier. It's difficult under the current climate not to imagine the same fate resulting here.
    But now we have voted to leave we have to rally around that decision if we want our country to prosper.
    No we don't. As I said, I'm getting another passport, if the UK wants to descend into petty minded isolation - and let's not pretend that's not exactly what the majority of those who voted for this and aren't Daniel Hannan style libertarians wanted and will demand - from the modern world then good luck with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    all because a horde of chavs are apparently too stupid and feckless.
    Surely that would only highly the failures of our education system?

ReputationRep:
    i will say, i do feel reaaaally sorry for the people who have been screwed over by it, i'm sure it hits closer to home for people who work in international companies for eg. or people whose contracts depended on this... however the point is, this is how it's going to be and let's see the positives and the 'light at the end of the tunnel'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Well, Leave voters are less likely to have a degree.

Now.....are those with degrees likely to be more intelligent? Probably.
    This is the whole problem with the intellectual arrogance. You think because someone has a degree their opinion on Brexit is more valid?

This is what I'm pissed about with the remainers, this superiority that their vote is somehow more valid because they have a piece of paper.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, you're definitely a leave voter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Okay, you're definitely a leave voter.
    Omg, what is wrong with you? I will show you my voting slip if you really want.

I am becoming exasperated with people like you in the aftermath of this, that's all. I voted remain but I don't think people with a different people to me are stupid or read only the daily mail, I just think they have a different world view, maybe because of different experiences, a different path in life. It doesn't make them bad people. The judgement of the remain campaign is atrocious.

This elitism and classism crap is just as bad as the so called racism you condemn in the leave voters.

ReputationRep:
    This is the whole problem with the intellectual arrogance. You think because someone has a degree their opinion on Brexit is more valid?

This is what I'm pissed about with the remainers, this superiority that their vote is somehow more valid because they have a piece of paper.
    I don't think I'm superior to those who voted Leave, I just don't believe that I along with the rest of the graduates and skilled workers should be left to pick up the pieces from this mess that they've created. So it's a good thing that we generally have better opportunities, here and elsewhere.

ReputationRep:

Well, no one's said that. All they've said is that we are generally better educated and, by extension, more intelligent. It's not a dig at brexiters; it's just the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    I don't think I'm superior to those who voted Leave, I just don't believe that I along with the rest of the graduates and skilled workers should be left to pick up the pieces from this mess that they've created. So it's a good thing that we generally have better opportunities, here and elsewhere.
    What so Leave voters aren't graduates and are unskilled now? Look at the stereotyping going on.... Can you not see the irony?

ReputationRep:
    Well, no one's said that. All they've said is that we are generally better educated and, by extension, more intelligent. It's not a dig at brexiters; it's just the truth.
    So now how well educated you are is the same as raw intelligence and more valuable than life experience?

ReputationRep:
    So now how well educated you are is the same as raw intelligence and more valuable than life experience?
    ...Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It's wasn't and still isn't the outcome I want. But the world won't end and I don't think there should be another referendum.
    It will eventually.

ReputationRep:
    ...Yes.
    Admitting it at last at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    If the EU can't survive this, then it's a good thing we left. I think it will survive and indeed thrive as it takes the necessary steps to federalise free from the UK holding them back.

In any case the UK or what's left of it will rejoin piecemeal.
    This is pretty much where I am.

I'm in favour of ever closer union but as a whole the UK is committed to obstructing it so they're probably better of without us.

ReputationRep:
    Except I don't think this argument holds water. Statistically people with professional jobs regardless of whatever 'piece of paper' they may or may not have more generally voted to stay largely because such people actually understood the consequences of what leaving would be. We're talking complex international, political, economic, financial and social issues here which, as a lawyer friend of mine said would require him to spend a considerable amount of time understanding and fully digesting let alone someone with little knowledge of the complex issues at play.

But then, it's not actually the voters I'm angry with because this is inevitable. The real problem is the complete abdication of political responsibility both by Cameron's government and the Brexiters to now face up to the consequences of this - if you think many positive outcome will come from a crop of demagogues who have wilfully lied their way into a coup then I admire your optimism. Although, frankly, the rot goes deeper than that - we should never have joined the EU and remained in the EEA in a similar fashion to Norway in a way that would have made the situation (I think) far less politically explosive to the point it's reached now but repeated political cowardice by various governments over the last 40 years have, unfortunately pretty much led to this sad situation.

I mean I'm still hoping we get a Swiss style set of bilateral agreements which preserve the common market and the current labour movement, but I'm not really holding out much hope but frankly that's the only way anything good could come out of this debacle; if this does not happen then the UK is not going to be an attractive place to do business.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.