Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women worry about walking alone at night but not men? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Just curious as to why people have this belief.

The reason people would be worried is because of the number of victims, so, when we look at victims, we see that around 33% of violent crime victims are female.

Women are half as likely to be attacked on the street as men, so why do people think this way?
    Getting shanked isn't as bad as getting raped 🤷🏿*♂️
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    but twice as likely as a man to be raped walking home alone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob15)
    Getting shanked isn't as bad as getting raped 🤷🏿*♂️
    This is retarded.

ReputationRep:
    I carry pepper spray disguised in a perfume bottle lol just kidding. I'm literally not afraid to walk at night. If there are rapists about they don't care what time of day it is you know...You just gotta live. These boots were made for walking and God dangit I'm gonna walk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    This is retarded.
    Would u rather get stabbed and have everyone know about it or raped and everyone know about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob15)
    Would u rather get stabbed and have everyone know about it or raped and everyone know about it?
    Why have you thrown in 'and have everyone know about it'?

I would choose the rape. Unless you want to get incredibly pedantic and mention the extremely unlikely chance that you contract HIV which you then leave untreated for ten years then it's not going to kill me.

A stab wound could though, easily.

ReputationRep:
    Because media and society and stuff care more about women then men, it's not directly anyones fault, it's

1. an attempt of balancing the scales not going quite as planned
    2. Kind of part of the patriarchy because the idea of men being stronger is in there (But also this is a part of the patriarchy, less often challenged by 'feminist' activists)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Men are physically stronger. We can protect ourselves better but women sometimes can’t.

ReputationRep:
    Is that statistic specifically for men who have been targeted without provocation and excluding gangs/brawls/personal matters? Because I feel like you've lumped together 2 different things.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I used to be fearless but now there's so many attacks and robberies happening at the moment it's simply not worth the risk. I'll walk home from work but after 9pm there is absolutely no chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Why have you thrown in 'and have everyone know about it'?

I would choose the rape. Unless you want to get incredibly pedantic and mention the extremely unlikely chance that you contract HIV which you then leave untreated for ten years then it's not going to kill me.

A stab wound could though, easily.
    Well I threw the 'everyone know about it' part so I remain correct, but u ruined that didn't u?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I worry about it, but I'm always really aware of my surroundings wherever I am, so risk is sort of mitigated in that sense.

I think the idea is that blokes can scrap and women can't, but I'd sooner get caught up in a scrap with two blokes than with two women :laugh:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.