Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Labour leader? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who would make the best Labour leader now?
    Jeremy Corbyn
    46.10%
    Tom Watson
    4.14%
    Angela Eagle
    5.97%
    Hilary Benn
    8.66%
    Yvette Cooper
    4.91%
    Andy Burnham
    7.31%
    Dan Jarvis
    3.66%
    Someone else
    19.25%

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Fenice)
    Corbyn is never going to get anywhere close to No 10. All you are doing by supporting him is giving the next Tory leader easy pickings and it will probably result in the largest Tory majority since 1983.
    It will be difficult, but have some optimism! In a choice between Labour and Tory-lite, vote Labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    It will be difficult, but have some optimism! In a choice between Labour and Tory-lite, vote Labour.
    What you have isn't optimism, it's delusion, and a selfish one at that because as we both know you are not one of the millions of people who really need there to be an electorally successful Labour leader at the next election.

In a choice between Thatcherite and Blairite, vote Blairite.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of Corbyn winning was that a majority of members voted for him. This isn't a matter of a minority governing the rest. That's sort of why we have elections.
    Sure. A majority of members.
    But a minority of the public.

If you value idealism over the actual chance to change things, then you're fine.

Leaving Corbyn in charge guarantees a Conservative Government. You have to know that.

ReputationRep:
    none

split the party

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Sure. A majority of members.
    But a minority of the public.

If you value idealism over the actual chance to change things, then you're fine.

Leaving Corbyn in charge guarantees a Conservative Government. You have to know that.
    Yes I agree with you. I was just pointing out that Labour isn't allowing 'a few' firebrands control of the party. These people previously were in a majority.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree with you. I was just pointing out that Labour isn't allowing 'a few' firebrands control of the party. These people previously were in a majority.
    And, worryingly for Labour, they still are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    She's not that bad to be fair. However:

"In April 2008 Eagle took part in a debate in Parliament on the UK economy in which the Liberal Democrats tabled a motion suggesting that the country was facing an "extreme bubble in the housing market" and the "risk of recession". Eagle responded stating "Fortunately for all of us ... that colourful and lurid fiction has no real bearing on the macro-economic reality."[5]

In 2009 Jeremy Browne, who led the debate, reflected on her comments, stating "A year ago, Angela Eagle’s comments summed up the Government's delusional attitude"

Just one of many politicians who have cause to regret things they once said. :rolleyes:

I think she would be quite a good leader, but she does less well in interviews and TV panels - she was on during referendum night alongside Duncan-Smirk and she was a bit underwhelming tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Just one of many politicians who have cause to regret things they once said. :rolleyes:

I think she would be quite a good leader, but she does less well in interviews and TV panels - she was on during referendum night alongside Duncan-Smirk and she was a bit underwhelming tbh.
    You would be a better leader than her, better than Hilary Ostrich Benn too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    You would be a better leader than her, better than Hilary Ostrich Benn too.
    Awww. Thanks. :teehee: :blush: :nah:

ReputationRep:
    I'm fuming.

Eagle is terrible, why do we expect she'll do any better? Absolutely bizarre and infuriating. I genuinely won't vote for either if it comes to this such is my apathy towards both Corbyn and Eagle right now.

Dan Jarvis is the only answer. Initially shocked at the low % of votes, but seems to be down to not being on the poll initially. Plus a lot of tories probably voted Corbyn, though I don't doubt he has popularity amongst the party's left still.

Tories until 2025, need to get the **** out of here and return when I'm in my early 30s when hope returns. British Politics is in a sorry mess and it's downward spiral is very concerning.

ReputationRep:
    Angela Eagle has a cool name.

ReputationRep:
    Has to be Edward John Smith.

ReputationRep:
    I watched some candidates on TV clips last night and personally I now think the one who comes over as most convincing is Dan Jarvis, but he probably doesn't stand a chance of being elected by the 'members', who mostly now consist of entryists and Tory party people out to cause trouble. :teehee:

Speaking of the latter, I wonder if people can join the Tory Party en masse to vote in Gove, the least likeable man in Britain?

ReputationRep:
    I watched some candidates on TV clips last night and personally I now think the one who comes over as most convincing is Dan Jarvis, but he probably doesn't stand a chance of being elected by the 'members', who mostly now consist of entryists and Tory party people out to cause trouble. :teehee:

Speaking of the latter, I wonder if people can join the Tory Party en masse to vote in Gove, the least likeable man in Britain?
    No, the cut off to join and have your vote counted was a few weeks ago, iirc.

ReputationRep:
    David Miliband needs to come back :fuhrer:

Spoiler:
    Show
    which won't happen. So realistically I can't comment until I look into all the candidates and decide which one I prefer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    No, the cut off to join and have your vote counted was a few weeks ago, iirc.
    It's amazing the extent to which Labour shot itself in the foot by making it so easy for people from a rival party to join and game them.

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing the extent to which Labour shot itself in the foot by making it so easy for people from a rival party to join and game them.
    And even then, the Conservative's method for selecting a leader would negate that effect as you wouldn't have a broad range of potentials - you'd only have the final 2 to select from. Have to say, that method does sound more sensible than Labour's.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Interesting to see Corbyn with less than half the support. This poll is likely skewed towards younger people, who are thought more likely to support Corbyn. It's a big assumption to make, but assuming this poll would be representative of those able to vote for Corbyn and with the assumptions on differing support across ages, it suggests Corbyns support from the wider group who can vote in the Labour leadership election would be significantly less than half.

If one challenger was presented to the leadership and people who want the other candidates back them, Corbyn could then lose by as much as 40% to 60%.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    The whole point of Corbyn winning was that a majority of members voted for him. This isn't a matter of a minority governing the rest. That's sort of why we have elections.
    That's not actually true. More than just members can vote in Labour leadership elections.

It is true Corbyn got the most votes out of the candidates, but it was just short of a majorty among members at 49.59% of the members votes.

Indeed, also, plenty of leaders, including Kinnock (twice), Smith and Blair got higher percentages of the votes from the members too.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Also, personally I think Labour needs a female leader. There are some damn good female Labour MPs who can be really inspirational and lead the party to victory. Yet I find most the 'top' male MPs, while good MPs and good politicians a lot less inspiring and a bit boring.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.