Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    You're still stuck on 10 hours ago or so. I've modified the first post to reflect that, it doesn't apply anymore.
    In waht way did you edit the first post so it doesn't apply anymore? It still implies that 5 were robbed and 5 were blessed...

ReputationRep:
    It still implies that it's a lottery, just more encouraging in between. The criteria you picked for the 5 cases thingy was also dubious, certainly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Really? I know loads of Medics who weren't to keen on A-Level Chemistry but absolutly love Medicine. It certainly isn't a massive part of the courses, not from what I understand anyway.
    i joined this thread too late to read it all.. but i thoroughly agree with Baz here.

Invisible - have you taken chemistry/applied for medicine/know many medics??

in my experience Chemistry is normally the most hated medical student subject (& the one most feared before results day!) & most only take it because without it your application options are limited.

& from my experience of a first year medical course, there's very little directly relevant to A2 Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    i personally didn't mind chemistry actually.. nice to have so right/wrong-ness in my subjects! & something that involved more thinking & less boring parrot learning than Biology!

but lots of people were terrified about chemistry & ended up doing crazy numbers of resits, or missing their offer by 1 chemistry grade (oh how evil tagged ones can be! &how grateful i was to my unis)

ah, & yes 'Magdalen' is pronounced 'maudlin' - terrible faux pas otherwise..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)

Invisible - have you taken chemistry/applied for medicine/know many medics??
    I accepted I was wrong regarding the medics, no need to rub it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    I accepted I was wrong regarding the medics, no need to rub it in.
    sorry! like i said..thread was too big & scary to read all in one go!

ReputationRep:
    I was mainly trying to point out how competitive Economics was. The vast majority of people I talk to refuse to believe that Economics can be as competitive as law or medicine, et cetera. This quite annoys me.
    I don't understand why anyone should get annoyed for that! The only reason that i can think of is that you are trying to show off to other "people" that ur applying to do a course just as "competitive as law or medicine" !!
    If that is your intention, then yes of course you get annoyed if people say economics is not that "competitive"

From a prospective student opinion, I would have wanted to know this information. In light of it, I am considering applying to universities with a lower standard offer to increase the chances of getting an offer somewhere. Thus, you cannot argue it is useless if someone finds the information useful.
    I say this again, Admissions tutors select the most suitable students! They are looking for students who have the passion for the subject! AND they can see that once they interview you or read your personal statement.
    They are NOT looking for students just with “A reasonable amount” of “Extra-curricular” and AAAAA at a-level... So you can’t say it’s a lottery! That’s why I said this thread is useless as it is misleading because there are many students who do get accepted AT TOP unis with AAA-AAB!
    I just don’t see the point that you are trying to make, are you trying to help people who are thinking of applying to do economics next year or are you trying to scare them off?

ReputationRep:
    She's not trying to deter anyone from applying, and as has been said before, if a thread is all it takes to scare you off, you shouldn't be applying to Economics in the first place. The point of the thread is just to make people aware that these things do happen, and that it might be useful to apply to a less competitive univeristy you'd be happy to attend, just to ensure you get at least one offer, and don't end up in the position of some of the case studies mentioned earlier. Plus, our year can't take a gap year if we don't get in without being hit by the top up fees, so it's quite a serious situation.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, you can now take a gap year and pay the same amount of tuition fees as the people going to university in 2005. Even better, you get to pay it back after you graduate
    That's only if you apply for deferred entry though, not if you reapply in 2005 following 6 rejections.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

Oh...damn. We're all screwed.
    I think it's pretty unlikely we'll get 6 rejections tbh. Just hope our PSs and references shine. Though I don't get to see my reference grr!

ReputationRep:
    I'm still quite confused by how some people think Economics is a special course, it isn't. There's no point in comparing it to Medicine or Law which are vocational subjects for a lot of students. Economics is just like English, History, Geography or Theology; academic subjects which are quite competitive at some universities but fairly avaerage at others.

ReputationRep:
    Nor me. And my school operates the cashing in of ASs policy!

No one from my school's ever got 6/6 rejections before. I bet my Head'll love that, especially as I'm the person she points out to prospective parents and newspapers. :mad:
    Well if no one else has ever got 6 rejections before, then your school must write pretty good refrences. You'll be absolutely fine! As long as we both get the grades we want next month, we've no reason to do badly really. I'm trying to stay optimistic!

ReputationRep:
    I'm still quite confused by how some people think Economics is a special course, it isn't. There's no point in comparing it to Medicine or Law which are vocational subjects for a lot of students. Economics is just like English, History, Geography or Theology; academic subjects which are quite competitive at some universities but fairly avaerage at others.
    Hear, hear.

A few choice statistics for Law courses:

Central Lancashire: 36 applicants per place
    Oxford Brookes: 18:1
    London South Bank: 22:1
    Middlesex: 25:1
    Westminster 29:1
    Manchester Met: 21:1
    Bristol UWE: 27:1
    UCE: 20:1

(This is just a sample, there are several other places which I could add)

No offence to the aforestated institutions, but they're not exactly the best in the game, and yet their application statistics could be the subject of a horror screenplay.

I just don't believe this is the case for Economics, not that it is any less of a worthy discipline. I look forward to any evidence to the contrary.

ReputationRep:
    Economics attracts a huge amount of money grabbers, who figure that as A-level Economics was easy, they'll just read that degree for 3 years then graduate to a cushing city job. View the word Economics as 'Morgan Stanley.' In my very humble opinion, that's why the number of applicants have shot upwards in the last few years.

It's no coincidence that Economics at Oxbridge is one of their most competitive courses and I think this is a trend reflected in a lot of universities. Rarely do you find the acceptancy rate to be lower than English, History or Geography, et cetera.

It's not special as such, just very competitive.
    Very few Economics graduates go into the City; it not nearly as prominent as prospective students think. Most, like every other subject, end up earning £30,000pa in middle mangement or some other average, boring job. I wouldn't even say an Economics was the best degree to take to be a brookers, Maths and an Economics Masters would be more favourable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Hear, hear.

A few choice statistics for Law courses:

Central Lancashire: 36 applicants per place
    Oxford Brookes: 18:1
    London South Bank: 22:1
    Middlesex: 25:1
    Westminster 29:1
    Manchester Met: 21:1
    Bristol UWE: 27:1
    UCE: 20:1

(This is just a sample, there are several other places which I could add)

No offence to the aforestated institutions, but they're not exactly the best in the game, and yet their application statistics could be the subject of a horror screenplay.

I just don't believe this is the case for Economics, not that it is any less of a worthy discipline. I look forward to any evidence to the contrary.
    Is there a place where the ratios are collated for all unis? Not that I don't believe what you're saying, I know law is uber competitive, there's just a few courses I'd like to take a look at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Is there a place where the ratios are collated for all unis? Not that I don't believe what you're saying, I know law is uber competitive, there's just a few courses I'd like to take a look at.
    Source: Brian Heap, Degree Course Offers 2005

There is a statistical breakdown of applicants to places for all the major courses.

Btw - I don't have the book yet. I'm quoting from some photocopies which I made of the Law section, so I can't give any Econ stats, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Source: Brian Heap, Degree Course Offers 2005

There is a statistical breakdown of applicants to places for all the major courses.

Btw - I don't have the book yet. I'm quoting from some photocopies which I made of the Law section, so I can't give any Econ stats, unfortunately.
    Nps, cheers anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using what I said above as the presumption. I had that example quoted to me by a friend who applied for Economics. She wanted to read it because she thought it would lead to a city job and as Economics A-level was easy, why not?
    It may do, but very likely the "City" job will be filing paper or phoning up contact: not special, not exciting, not more than a glorified secretary. I wouldn't want to work in the City anyway, horrible experience.

ReputationRep:
    It may do, but very likely the "City" job will be filing paper or phoning up contact: not special, not exciting, not more than a glorified secretary. I wouldn't want to work in the City anyway, horrible experience.
    So what do you envision yourself doing in 10 years time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    Anyone have any idea why in Clearing last year, SOAS had Economics available? Would it be due to Economics being taught crap there or something? I'm hoping to do Economics and Japanese there at Clearing as I doubt I will get into my firm choice of Mathematics at King's College. I got 2A*s, 6As, 2Bs and a C at GCSE and ACCC at AS level. I'm predicted ABB in A2 Psychology, Mathematics and Chemistry and B in AS Italian this year. I haven't done Economics before but I can easily catch up with any subject I need to because I really want to do this course and I want to use my Mathematics knowledge in different ways instead of sitting there doing algebra etc....
    Actually I've heard that they are supposed to be quite good, particularly when it comes to development economics. Obviously they arn't as good as neighbouring colleges LSE and UCL but they ask for 3 Bs (according to their website) so can't be that bad. I'm thinking about applying their next year for Economics.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 29, 2005

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.