Turn on thread page Beta

Becoming a pilot....... ( Raf and maybe flying a boeing later on ) watch

• CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I have ADD But you're right, you couldn't fly with it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Strange, I'm actually heading in the same direction, a few years behind and all, but yeah.

I'm looking to be an airline pilot, I don't think I actually want to join the Royal Air Force, maybe it wouldn't be for me. Don't take peoples crap, if that's what you want to do, I say go for it. You have the same chance as everyone else. They take experience over qualifications, although qualifications do make a big difference as well. A degree is not required, but it probably would help a lot, and it would look much better, giving you a better chance.

If you're heading in the airline direction, I'd recommend starting flying lessons now, and gaining your PPL. From there you can add additional ratings to your license and then go on and achieve your commerical pilots flying license and then finally your airline transport pilots license. It is expensive. So you could always take out a loan or work at the same time, it will take time, but it would be worth it in the end.

Or, you could go in the other direction, and find a sponsership, I know applying for a place on the BA sponser scheme may be competitive but why not give it a try? I think they're looking for determined people who want to do well, rather than what you know about flying. As long as you have the right attitude and you're prepared to put 100% effort into it, you have as much of a chance as anyone else out there.

As for the RAF, that's just the same, it is competitive but work hard and you'll get there. Fitness and health tests are what the problem is for many 'wannabe pilots'. It's a great career though and a great life, definitely worth working for.

As for your GCSE's and A levels, well done, nice set of results. An A level in maths and physics may be needed, but again, that's something you could always go back to if necessary. There's no age limit for airline pilots really. Unless you're like above 60, lol, maybe then. For an RAF pilot, this is probably different.

Also, finally....lol...I say you should look around and check out some websites, especially the BA career website, check all of them out......get loads of details and read them through so you know exactly what direction you're going into.

Might see you in the skies one day

CLaiRe
    [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairezay)

Or, you could go in the other direction, and find a sponsership, I know applying for a place on the BA sponser scheme may be competitive but why not give it a try? I think they're looking for determined people who want to do well, rather than what you know about flying. As long as you have the right attitude and you're prepared to put 100% effort into it, you have as much of a chance as anyone else out there.
    If you apply for a sponsorship with BA, you'll find yourself competing with no one else for no places. It doesn't run. It hasn't run for a couple of years now. The BA website even says that they only recruit direct entry pilots.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by clairezay)
    maybe it wouldn't be for me. Don't take peoples crap, if that's what you want to do, I say go for it.
    Ask me how many times I've "taken peoples' crap" in nearly a decade of service?

For goodness' sake, joining the RAF as a pilot is nothing like being a squaddie in a WW2 film....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Ask me how many times I've "taken peoples' crap" in nearly a decade of service?

For goodness' sake, joining the RAF as a pilot is nothing like being a squaddie in a WW2 film....
    Its not? Bugger me backwards and heres me postponing my interview

Oh Wzz, new questions to pester you with, i've postponed my filter interview cos i just got a career in a power company, so was thinking of perhaps the RAF reservists (Or maybe the TA), but are they going the same way as the TA seems to be going? Basically becoming part of the frountline troops instead of being a reservist force to defend the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main..._requestid=940

and

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m..._requestid=893

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)

I do not intend to be mean, but it is extremely unlikley that Flyer will achieve a career in flying either in or out of the RAF with this disorder, which incidentally lasts throughout life.
    that's a lie, ive grown out of it and those symtoms you mentioned i do not have, i was diagnosed with it 7 to 8 years ago and was considered a mild case......
    i just used to get into a lot of fights as a kid and used to want attention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyer_2k3)
    that's a lie, ive grown out of it and those symtoms you mentioned i do not have, i was diagnosed with it 7 to 8 years ago and was considered a mild case......
    i just used to get into a lot of fights as a kid and used to want attention

Then you never had ADD - you were just an attention seeker. Even if you have a 'mild case' history you would NOT, under ANY circumstances, be accepted into a career that involved flying for your Country, or (God forbid) passengers.

If you really had ADD, you would know that this a lifelong condition, which although it improves with age, does not completely go away. You may want to look at some of the professional ADD websites and respond to them in the same manner, for they must all be lying too!!

ReputationRep:
    Then you never had ADD - you were just an attention seeker. Even if you have a 'mild case' history you would NOT, under ANY circumstances, be accepted into a career that involved flying for your Country, or (God forbid) passengers.

If you really had ADD, you would know that this a lifelong condition, which although it improves with age, does not completely go away. You may want to look at some of the professional ADD websites and respond to them in the same manner, for they must all be lying too!!
    that's a lie as there are a couple of people i know that are in the RAF as officers that had my condition

and most of the airline flights are done my computer.... and i don't need you trelling me what i do, i'm happy thanks and got into a good university

ReputationRep:
    that's a lie as there are a couple of people i know that are in the RAF as officers that had my condition
    I'm going to have to agree with you on that one.

ReputationRep:

and most of the airline flights are done my computer.... and i don't need you trelling me what i do, i'm happy thanks and got into a good university

If you read my earlier posts, you will see that I did not, at any time, say people could not get into the RAF as officers with ADD - just that they would be unable to fly. Neither did I intend to tell you what you should do - if my message was perceived in that way, then I apologise - that was not my intention.

I suppose I am just trying to point out the unrealistic nature of your ambitions. However, as you quite rightly state, you should pursue whatever career you decide is right for you. The best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    If you read my earlier posts, you will see that I did not, at any time, say people could not get into the RAF as officers with ADD - just that they would be unable to fly. Neither did I intend to tell you what you should do - if my message was perceived in that way, then I apologise - that was not my intention.

I suppose I am just trying to point out the unrealistic nature of your ambitions. However, as you quite rightly state, you should pursue whatever career you decide is right for you. The best of luck!!
    omigod silly, officers are pilots!!!!!!!!!! you are very very very pessimistic, got help you whenever you communicate with people

unrealistic nature? what do you know about any of this? as far as i'm concerned you have just come in thinking you know it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadMedic)
    I'm going to have to agree with you on that one.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to clarify, that indeed you are correct in stating that all pilots in the RAF are officers. However, not all officers are pilots and this is the point of my response. If you read my previous posts, you can see that what I am trying to say is that although you have every opportunity to be an officer in the RAF, you cannot be a pilot as you have a history of ADD.

I would not consider myself to be a pessimist, moreso a realist. My response was not based on a pessimistic outlook on your chances of becoming a pilot, but was based on an informed opinion of reaserch into ADD i.e. the RAF will not accept people to be a pilot if they have had ANY history of ADD. But, if you have any doubts over this, I recommend contacting your local AFCO, as they will be able to confirm this fact for you. All the same, I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to clarify, that indeed you are correct in stating that all pilots in the RAF are officers. However, not all officers are pilots and this is the point of my response. If you read my previous posts, you can see that what I am trying to say is that although you have every opportunity to be an officer in the RAF, you cannot be a pilot as you have a history of ADD.

I would not consider myself to be a pessimist, moreso a realist. My response was not based on a pessimistic outlook on your chances of becoming a pilot, but was based on an informed opinion of reaserch into ADD i.e. the RAF will not accept people to be a pilot if they have had ANY history of ADD. But, if you have any doubts over this, I recommend contacting your local AFCO, as they will be able to confirm this fact for you. All the same, I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
    like i said, and like DeadMedic agreed, i know TWO pilot officers that were diagnosed with ADD!

you remind me of the nerds at school that used to get bullied

ReputationRep:
    omigod silly, officers are pilots!!!!!!!!!! you are very very very pessimistic, got help you whenever you communicate with people

unrealistic nature? what do you know about any of this? as far as i'm concerned you have just come in thinking you know it all
    Pilots are Officers, Officers are not always Pilots.

Look flyer if you can't communicate on an internet forum without anoying people are you really going to be able to lead people within the RAF?

ReputationRep:
    like i said, and like DeadMedic agreed, i know TWO pilot officers that were diagnosed with ADD!

Pilot officer is a rank, it does not mean you are a pilot!

for christ sakes do some research.

ReputationRep:

You obviously have very little knowledge of the RAF! Pilot officer is a rank within the RAF, and a person does not have to be a pilot to hold this rank! For example, you could have and Air Traffic Controller who holds the rank of Pilot Officer, but this in no way means that they are a pilot qualified to fly! I suggest that if you are seriously considering applying for the RAF that you do some background reading on the subject, like the rank structure for example!

As for your second comment, I'm not going to even dignify it with a response, it was simply immature and provacative. I thought this was a site for mature discussion.

ReputationRep:
    You obviously have very little knowledge of the RAF! Pilot officer is a rank within the RAF, and a person does not have to be a pilot to hold this rank! For example, you could have and Air Traffic Controller who holds the rank of Pilot Officer, but this in no way means that they are a pilot qualified to fly! I suggest that if you are seriously considering applying for the RAF that you do some background reading on the subject, like the rank structure for example!

As for your second comment, I'm not going to even dignify it with a response, it was simply immature and provacative. I thought this was a site for mature discussion.
    alls i know is that i want to become a boeing pilot, and it is in my grasp and there are people that fly with the attention condition

ReputationRep:
    alls i know is that i want to become a boeing pilot, and it is in my grasp and there are people that fly with the attention condition
    Then go away a prove it, you won't become a pilot by posting on internet forums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    Then go away a prove it, you won't become a pilot by posting on internet forums
    neither will you mr 700 posts

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.