Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    No-one will replace him. you know what we need, new political parties, the Labour party clearly needs to split in two and the Blairite wing of Labour and the Tories needs to become one, and the left of Labour another, and social Conservative Tories another. General elections resulting in a coalition system between these three and some others may work rather well.
    I agree that we need new political parties but I would say it has to be a bigger change than that.

ReputationRep:
    Shame, the world of politics will be that much less interesting/entertaining without him! Let's hope UKIP doesn't become to 'nativist', as he cautions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I agree that we need new political parties but I would say it has to be a bigger change than that.
    I know, but it would at least be much more demoratic than this ludicrous false dichotomy and puppet show between 'evil Tories' and 'Labour'(they have nothing to do with Labouring classes anymore) that believe in basically the same economic and domestic policies and offer no electoral choice.

ReputationRep:
    I know, but it would at least be much more demoratic than this ludicrous false dichotomy and puppet show between 'evil Tories' and 'Labour'(they have nothing to do with Labouring classes anymore) that believe in basically the same economic and domestic policies and offer no electoral choice.
    Except from 1 or 2 different policies they are basically the same party.

I think we need to change the voting system then a change could really happen and we would get more smaller parties running.

ReputationRep:
    Deserves some kind of award from the Queen. History will judge him as a hero of Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Who will replace Farage: Nuttall? Evans? Carswell?
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I think Douglas Carswell should replace Nigel Farage as leader because he is the party's only MP.
    I also think Carswell, I don't always agree with him, but I feel as if they someone with genuine Westminster experience leading them. Put Nuttall as 2nd in command.

ReputationRep:
    Except from 1 or 2 different policies they are basically the same party.

I think we need to change the voting system then a change could really happen and we would get more smaller parties running.
    Not sure about this. Where they have PR, it has been proven that the social and economic liberal, pro-Globalization parties with the same outlooks have even more of a monopoly. I think first past the post is pretty democratic.It's the parties that need changing more than the system.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36702468

When he was like "my political ambition has been achieved......I want my life back", I thought what a selfish being! You want your life back after all the calamity you've caused, feeding the nation lies? Now that the nation is in turmoil you're hiding away from the whole situation. Typical. He should finish what he had started. I hate it when things become difficult or do not go as people planned and people like him cowardly chicken out. I'm tired of this, if Brexit is happening for sure we need strong leaders with a proper vision. This is still a complete mess and to those saying the pound will rise that we should simmer down, it's been a week plus and the pound is STILL DROPPING! If it was going to rise it should have risen at least by now:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...flags-stimulus

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, what a setup. Divide the nation and leave. Wish him the best with his life.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about this. Where they have PR, it has been proven that the social and economic liberal, pro-Globalization parties with the same outlooks have even more of a monopoly. I think first past the post is pretty democratic.It's the parties that need changing more than the system.
    I'm not talking about full pr but from what I have heard there are countries that have a fttp system and then a few seats for pr I think something like that could work better than just fttp as fttp gave 12.7% of voters 0.2% of MPs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Two borderline whackjobs and one nice but rather confused old man.

The choice is amazing, makes me wish I was in UKIP.
    Steven Woolfe.

I'm not talking about full pr but from what I have heard there are countries that have a fttp system and then a few seats for pr I think something like that could work better than just fttp as fttp gave 12.7% of voters 0.2% of MPs
    Wales and Scotland use that system to elect their devolved legislatures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-...on?wprov=sfla1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Honestly, what a setup. Divide the nation and leave. Wish him the best with his life.
    The nation has been divided due to the conditions imposed upon them.. he merely gave the people a choice! 52% of the voters really just want change and real improvements.. the rest, well they are clearly happy with how things are or feel safer in the EU! One lady who voted to remain and demonstrated with a Euro Mask, even stated that she did not like the EU but felt more social within the EU!! She was worried about breaking up from the other European countries and this was bad from a Social aspect! CRAZY!! I have many friends over the internet from many different European countries.. my social relationships have not changed at all!

ReputationRep:
    He'll be back! I bet ya!

ReputationRep:
    You said it wasn't clear, was my example clear or not? It also had a 4% difference

No you just talk about holding more referendums just after a referendum has been held

i never said you said you were a remainer but the demand for a second referendum is coming from people who want to remain that is who the 'you' refers to in that statement

Where did I say you had said he was an mp?

People have heard of him and he is well known, you do not have to be part of a party to put pressure on politicians.
    Your example was about proportions, in the context of a vote it's irrelevant or what was being discussed. If you had asked 'is 13 significantly more than 12?' that would've been a slightly relevant question, and the answer would still be no.

Good to see you concede your point.

Then please refrain from saying 'you' to me if it's not the 'you' you're referring to, it clouds your judgement.

Being an MP would be beneficial to having a voice and wielding some sort of power. He said, I quote, "now I want my life back". He's done. He has no interest in seeing it through. He's abandoning the political ship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    There were any number of white people on the streets in TV interviews after the referendum coming forwards to blame it all on the immigrants in areas with particularly low inward migration, eg, rural Tory constituencies.

I don't think any major vote in modern times has mobilised the grotty racism that lurks beneath the surface to the extent that this one did.

Cameron has also been a big player in creating the hysteria, he repeatedly used phrases like "swarming" and talked about 'good immigrants' and 'bad immigrants', etc, etc.

Basically the entire Tory political class (and I include Farage in that) threw off their post-Enoch Powell shame and wholeheartedly engaged in the worst gutter and yob politics.
    I don't agree.

Farage was messianic about leaving the EU.

His personal economic views were clearly to the right hand side of the Tory Party. His views on race were of the "golf club bore" variety, I think without real hatred. However as far as he was concerned, I think genuinely, everything was subordinated to getting out of Europe. If dyed in the wool racists would back Leave he would say and do anything that got their vote. Likewise, he would promise any sort of spending spree to get Labour voters on board.

He doesn't care enough about how the NHS is organised or whether we should renew Trident or whether a new runway should be built at Heathrow or Gatwick to become a mainstream politician.

People say they go into politics to change things. Farage has only ever wanted to change one thing. Everything else was just a means to an end.

ReputationRep:
    I think he deserves this, he has always been zealously anti-EU, I imagine that's tiring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    Deserves some kind of award from the Queen.
    I think it would be very unfair if Farage was not given a peerage when he steps down from being an MEP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    I also think Carswell, I don't always agree with him, but I feel as if they someone with genuine Westminster experience leading them. Put Nuttall as 2nd in command.
    Carswell won't put himself forward

The choice will be Evans Wolfe and nuttal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Still not over the referendum result, are you?
    No, the country won't be over it for 10 years at least, and that's if we keep all our soft credibility. It's EEA or the highway now I'm afraid.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.