Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MHoC By-Election: Voting Watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be elected as an MP in seat 50?
    Aph
    2.94%
    adam9317
    21.57%
    Birchington
    22.55%
    george_c00per
    33.33%
    ABoyHasNoName
    16.67%
    (Spoilt ballot)
    2.94%

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Good to know what you're all into...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the act itself is absolutely abhorrent. It's just that I don't see why it should be illegal if it does not harm anyone.

(Original post by Life_peer)
    What's next, opt-out?
    I think that'd be pushing it
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cBay)
    I'm your proxy haha (100% record), and your other MPs haven't missed any votes of late looking at your voting record.

If you want to replace me with TBM or whoever though then go ahead... I don't really intend to be involved with MHoC much anymore, just proxying when I'm needed.
    I'm referring to Little Toy Gun's seat, as they are currently on holiday; not the seat you're occupying.

(Original post by RayApparently)
    Lol. I look forward to hearing how Andy managed to not notice this.
    See above

(Original post by PetrosAC)
    They sign something before they die giving consent. I'm not saying I'd support absolutely any bill under any circumstances on it though. Just that with the right regulations etc, I do not see why it shouldn't be decriminalised.
    Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Well let's see:

UKIP: The usual. Nope
    Adam: Plenty of stuff there but the policies are a bit meh for me.
    Your guy: The manifesto looks OK but it doesn't do anything for me and there's a few ideas in there that I'm not keen on.
    Aph: The formatting was so horrible I couldn't read it.
    Birch: There's not much there, but mostly agreeable stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Our party is putting forward the only left-wing alternative. The Liberals, bless them, have put forward something bland, noncommittal and uninspiring. Ultimately, as much as I love Birch, a vote for the Liberals is a vote to strengthen the Tory-led government that lost the seat and can't even organise a way of ensuring they keep it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I think the act itself is absolutely abhorrent. It's just that I don't see why it should be illegal if it does not harm anyone.

I think that'd be pushing it
    So what abhorrence are you going to try to legalise next?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm referring to Little Toy Gun's seat, as they are currently on holiday; not the seat you're occupying.

See above

Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough. As I said TBM may be able to help you. Or picklescamp.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Our party is putting forward the only left-wing alternative. The Liberals, bless them, have put forward something bland, noncommittal and uninspiring. Ultimately, as much as I love Birch, a vote for the Liberals is a vote to strengthen the Tory-led government that lost the seat and can't even organise a way of ensuring they keep it.
    I'll openly admit it is bland, but it's the most agreeable out of the bunch for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Necrophilia is grotesque.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    So what abhorrence are you going to try to legalise next?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll have to wait and see

Necrophilia is grotesque.
    I don't disagree
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'll openly admit it is bland, but it's the most agreeable out of the bunch for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm genuinely curious as to what policy of ours you disapprove of. Because if we assume that the Liberals agree with their own government then 'economically sensible' means spending about 6 billion more on defence and cutting corporation tax receipts by 10 billion.

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope spoiled ballot gets elected.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm genuinely curious as to what policy of ours you disapprove of. Because if we assume that the Liberals agree with their own government then 'economically sensible' means spending about 6 billion more on defence and cutting corporation tax receipts by 10 billion.
    Mainly number two if I'm honest. The RNLI are currently doing a bloody good job left to their own devices. Why would we want to **** it up with government oversight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Mainly number two if I'm honest. The RNLI are currently doing a bloody good job left to their own devices. Why would we want to **** it up with government oversight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would solve their funding difficult culture and eliminate the 'salvage' controversy. The protection of the people should not be left to charities or private organisations.

"Charity is a cold grey loveless thing. If a rich man wants to help the poor, he should pay his taxes gladly, not dole out money at a whim."

- Clement Attlee
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It would solve their funding difficult culture and eliminate the 'salvage' controversy. The protection of the people should not be left to charities or private organisations.

"Charity is a cold grey loveless thing. If a rich man wants to help the poor, he should pay his taxes gladly, not dole out money at a whim."

- Clement Attlee
    I agree with funding them; but i don't know what the salvage issue is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I agree with funding them; but i don't know what the salvage issue is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The minor but genuine concern that volunteers might abuse their position to claim the possessions of those they rescue.

Nontheless the real issue is that, for the sake of accountability, state funding must be accompanied by state oversight and the UK is one of few developed countries that don't centrally administer such an important service.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The minor but genuine concern that volunteers might abuse their position to claim the possessions of those they rescue.

Nontheless the real issue is that, for the sake of accountability, state funding must be accompanied by state oversight and the UK is one of few developed countries that don't centrally administer such an important service.
    Try telling that to DFID

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Try telling that to DFID

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I actually had the DFID in mind when I made the comment. I can assure that I believe foreign aid funds should be far, far more closely controlled so that they're actually used effectively and not used to fund corruption.

tl;dr When I'm Prime Minister, I will.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

That would be a concern either way

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I actually had the DFID in mind when I made the comment. I can assure that I believe foreign aid funds should be far, far more closely controlled so that they're actually used effectively and not used to fund corruption.

tl;dr When I'm Prime Minister, I will.
    Somebody seems confident

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That would be a concern either way

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Obviously less likely to be a concern with oversight. And the more critical point is accountability. I don't see how you, the leader of the Green Party, could possibly suggest that such democratising oversight would '**** it up'.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Somebody seems confident
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Confidence is key.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.