TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcsurfer)
    Oh no that sucks so much if it's fallen through . What are you doing?
    If you need a drinking partner I'm here the whole time haha. Some of my friends are here for 4 weeks then everyone but 1 is gone away!
    Well I ma currently at work and its 29C, flys everywhere and no air conditioning... Who needs an exotic elective!
    How did you find writtens?
    Just doing A&E locally in London - it does feel like another country going by today's weather, I totally did not handle the heatwave today! *Writtens were trickier than I expected! *CHDA was okay though I thought, what about you?*

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, me too! 2 days in and a patient in resus called me a C&^% haha you 8 weeks in A&E?
    I thought EMTL was hard, RSH i think i made so many silly mistakes, CHDA meh... So glad that not much deem came up but it felt like every other question was paeds cardiology... Only the time will tell tomorrow! 2pm urgh *

This might sound really strange, but I want to know if anyone else like this. Literally just finished first year and boyfriends parents have bought me a cute little mug that says top doctor on the side of it, its an adorable little present and very well thought out, but I am so superstitious and feel like by using it i'm tempting fate, i'm not a doctor yet.
    Anyone else weirdly superstitious about things like that or am I just the strange one here?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    This might sound really strange, but I want to know if anyone else like this. Literally just finished first year and boyfriends parents have bought me a cute little mug that says top doctor on the side of it, its an adorable little present and very well thought out, but I am so superstitious and feel like by using it i'm tempting fate, i'm not a doctor yet.
    Anyone else weirdly superstitious about things like that or am I just the strange one here?
    Not answering your question per se...
    And not my story, but had a guy on my course who got a pretty sweet leather bag as a gift from his parents with the words "Dr. (name here)" when he returned in 2nd year. Joked bout the implied additional pressuring from his parents.

He didn't make much of it though.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I won't even wear my class hoodie with the date of expected graduation on the breast pocket under the university logo like 'Blank university class of 20xx' haha.

ReputationRep:
    Passed 4th year officially a final year medic woohoo
    Commendation too in my paediatrics paper and 2nd decile so very very happy.
    Running home with the beers! *

Honest Q for those of you in FY1 and beyond: how much pre-clinical stuff do you truly need to remember? I'm hoping I can just about get through all of this stuff for resits, but there's no way it's going to stick throughout the next few years.

ReputationRep:
    Accidental anonymous there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Remember, as in the semantic detail? None.

I do subscribe to the ideas behind teaching it though. If medicine were just about memorising 'cough and fever -> treat as pneumonia', 'dysuria -> treat as UTI' then medicine would have been computerised long ago. That is what you are learning at preclinical - getting those basic concepts down so that you can truly understand the pathology later. That is what will separate you from the nurses, or support staff who can only follow guidelines all day.

That said, some practices clearly are just archaic. Any med school still forcing its students to memorise the krebs cycle intermediates is stuck in the dark (i.e. pre-internet) ages and needs to move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Remember, as in the semantic detail? None.

I do subscribe to the ideas behind teaching it though. If medicine were just about memorising 'cough and fever -> treat as pneumonia', 'dysuria -> treat as UTI' then medicine would have been computerised long ago. That is what you are learning at preclinical - getting those basic concepts down so that you can truly understand the pathology later. That is what will separate you from the nurses, or support staff who can only follow guidelines all day.

That said, some practices clearly are just archaic. Any med school still forcing its students to memorise the krebs cycle intermediates is stuck in the dark (i.e. pre-internet) ages and needs to move on.

Why would you see prothrombin time change in chronic pancreatitis? Vitamin K due to insufficiency? Or something to do with pernicious anaemia maybe? Can't think!

ReputationRep:
    FFS another accidental anonymous. I'm sure I turned that off... anyone know how to keep it off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    FFS another accidental anonymous. I'm sure I turned that off... anyone know how to keep it off?
    You can't unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Malabsorption in general and poor fat absorption.

So yes vitamin K deficiency.

(Original post by Newtothis83)
    Malabsorption in general and poor fat absorption.

So yes vitamin K deficiency.
    PRSOM, thanks One exam down this morning, two to go...

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god three times in a row. I quit. Sorry :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Oh my god three times in a row. I quit. Sorry :P

Good luck for the last 2 exams! hopefully you can chill out soon *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcsurfer)
    Good luck for the last 2 exams! hopefully you can chill out soon *
    Thanks! I still feel this SAQ was a bit close for comfort but marginally better than the last. I don't care if I'm bottom of the year, just want to pass!!

On the upside this post isn't anonymous, so there's that minor success for the day :P

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to do a PhD after final year of medicine and then re-enter clinical medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    Is it possible to do a PhD after final year of medicine and then re-enter clinical medicine?
    As in, start FY1 4 years after doing any medicine at all?

Even if its possible its definitely not recommended!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.