Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

27% of young people (under 25) voted to Leave - has anyone met any of these 27%? Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Hi! I'll indulge you - I'm a postgraduate student and voted leave. I firmly believe that in nation state democracy and retaining our sovereignty, so voted to leave for those reasons. I think that we should work with Europe and be friendly neighbours, but not be governed by the EU or be part of a huge superstate in which we have very little say. I accept that we'll suffer some economic consequences in the short term, but we can't put a price on our democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Read. A. Book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parlia..._1911_and_1949

Meanwhile, the Commons can do absolutely nothing about EU law, however much their constituents oppose it or however much it is contrary to the national interest.
    The EU has a good probability, given it's record and disposition, of being a globalist, corporatist, Washington backed stitch up, hence if it genuinely benefited Europeans would the US be in favour? We have ludicrous arguments about getting token progressive measures from an authoritarian, anti-democracy as being better than sovereignty, as though you have no choice in who you vote for or what you get by reclaiming your own democratic process, so give it away for good, they say, give up on our own electorate, and our own countries constitution. Once again here we have the political and media class telling people what to think, rather than representing it. They lied about the nature of the project first time, and were doing it this time round. We see the trend here of corporations and big finance asking the people to be arranged for their benefit, rather than vice versa. We saw the same with the our relations with the US, it seemed like solidarity, and honour were gone, maybe that's naive and idealistic, but at the very least whilst there is cynicism in other countries, at least they are acting in some key senses in the national interests...how our ruling elites and opinion formers have become is perverse. The ones who are not on some payroll or acting totally in their own selfishness must be oddly indoctrinated as they seemingly lack any objectivity on the issue. I hope this is a turning point, however minor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    And any of those laws they formulate still have to be voted on by an unaccountable, unelected second chamber.
    The powers of the Lords are extremely limited in recognition of this fact. They can reject legislation for a short-term period only and have limited powers to amend it. They have a similar level of power in Parliament as British MEPs do in the EU; the only difference is that we have got that balance of power between the elected and the unelected the right way around; the Lords is so subservient to the Commons that Parliament is essentially a unicameral legislature. Whatever your opinion on the Lords the two set-ups are completely dissimilar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Hi! I'll indulge you - I'm a postgraduate student and voted leave. I firmly believe that in nation state democracy and retaining our sovereignty, so voted to leave for those reasons. I think that we should work with Europe and be friendly neighbours, but not be governed by the EU or be part of a huge superstate in which we have very little say. I accept that we'll suffer some economic consequences in the short term, but we can't put a price on our democracy.
    These are pretty much my exact sentiments.

It's just a perfectly sane argument that would not be shouted down hysterically were we not living in a hollowed out, manipulated(and even, to be a little grandiose, morally corrupted )country there to serve a globalist agenda and not our own national interests.

ReputationRep:
    I've met one. He's a massive UKIP supporter, and I have to share a room with him next year at college :'( He's from a white, middle-class background, never had to work a day in his life, and likes starting arguements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Own up? As if voting leave was somehow an immoral act? We voted for what we thought was best for our country and there's nothing immoral about that at all.

I hate to brag but I'm fed up with all this "leave voters are stupid" nonsense, so I'm not going to hold back. Sorry, this is going to come across really cocky. I'm 18, about to start a chemical physics masters at either Bristol or Sheffield and I also happen to be one of the 2015 International Space Design Competition UK champions. But obviously I'm a total doofus because I voted leave.

EDIT: As for my reasons, have you ever taken the time to look at how the EU functions? Or at what's actually written in the Lisbon treaty? The whole system is rotten to the core.
    Absolutely - but did you also take the time to see how the UK functions? The EU is quite simply better at governing us than the UK is. Watch our regions decline now we have left, as well as our consumer protections, worker's rights etc.

The EU is not great but it's all we've got against the inverted pyramid of incompetence, undemocraticness, self-interest and often open malice coming out of the Westminster government.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - both my age - one girl voted leave for bants and the other voted complaining about the uk losing its sovereignty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenice)
    The powers of the Lords are extremely limited in recognition of this fact. They can reject legislation for a short-term period only and have limited powers to amend it. They have a similar level of power in Parliament as British MEPs do in the EU; the only difference is that we have got that balance of power between the elected and the unelected the right way around; the Lords is so subservient to the Commons that Parliament is essentially a unicameral legislature. Whatever your opinion on the Lords the two set-ups are completely dissimilar.
    So why not stay and join up with similarly disgruntled European countries to reform this part of the EU? We did hold our nerve and do it to our own Lords you know a hundred years ago.

No, instead the plucky Brits throw an entitled **** fit and flounce out.

ReputationRep:
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards the superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation." - Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.

That is not the only quote by one of the founding fathers of the EU like that, either. There was a lot of fear of another world war and their actions were informed very heavily by their experiences during the war.

If you cared about national sovereignty, the EU was not for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19, about to do a degree in Japanese at the University of Oxford and live in London. But all brexit voters are stupid, uneducated and racist, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Absolutely - but did you also take the time to see how the UK functions? The EU is quite simply better at governing us than the UK is. Watch our regions decline now we have left, as well as our consumer protections, worker's rights etc.

The EU is not great but it's all we've got against the inverted pyramid of incompetence, undemocraticness, self-interest and often open malice coming out of the Westminster government.
    Well we can get cheaper consumer goods without EU protectionism and trading with more countries. The protections could be interpreted as over-regulation, given the EU's political history and disposition. And have you seen the regions? Neo-liberalism has gone on with a vengeance in the EU, larger swathes of the country outside 'the 'bubbles', and even bits of London are totally abject wastelands while the rich in the South-East and London cream it off. The regional decline was fueled by the destruction of manufacturing, aided by Thatcher, and has gone on within the EU.
    And sorry, but nothing is more undemocratic in our system than the EU, at an institutional level. The threats there are to our democracy from within have been due to such things as the homogenization of our major political parties, (incidentally all pro-EU), the lack of adversarial politics between people with deep moral convictions, attacks on the free press and then of course our civil liberties and judicial system, they all came in the Blairite era and within the EU of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Own up? As if voting leave was somehow an immoral act? We voted for what we thought was best for our country and there's nothing immoral about that at all.

I hate to brag but I'm fed up with all this "leave voters are stupid" nonsense, so I'm not going to hold back. Sorry, this is going to come across really cocky. I'm 18, about to start a chemical physics masters at either Bristol or Sheffield and I also happen to be one of the 2015 International Space Design Competition UK champions. But obviously I'm a total doofus because I voted leave.

EDIT: As for my reasons, have you ever taken the time to look at how the EU functions? Or at what's actually written in the Lisbon treaty? The whole system is rotten to the core.
    Can you explain how it works? I'm genuinely curious and not being sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    So why not stay and join up with similarly disgruntled European countries to reform this part of the EU? We did hold our nerve and do it to our own Lords you know a hundred years ago.

The EU has demonstrated itself to be fundamentally unreformable, as the recent stint of farcical 'negotiations' made clearer than ever

The Parliament Acts were undertaken by Commons majorities in a Parliament which already recognised the supremacy of the Commons. Britain has equivalents of neither of these two things in the EU.

Additionally, I make no bones about my entitlement to a healthy liberal democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    Not wanting Turkey to have the visa rights to come here is pretty sensible tbh.
    Turkey will never be allowed to join the EU as someone will veto. That's why its so funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Read. A. Book.
    The only book I'll be reading is the bible thank you.

Spoiler:
    Show
    But seriously if you're not going to read the chain of quotes don't get involved for cheap rep...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Why should he care?

It's not like he was doing well out of the current set up.

It's because of people like you sneering at these people instead of trying to provider solutions that we have voted to leave.
    You're finally getting it I see. I know I looked like a leave shill for these past few weeks, but this is my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    I've not met a single one.

Anyone under 25 care to own up why you did it and what is your background (granduate, unemployed, location) - Give us a clue..

Biggest leave voting areas Boston and Great Yarmouth.
    Any young people from those town? Gut feeling is they are not particularly poor areas - pretty average.

cheers FredOrJohn
    19, University student
    Voted leave as I am a proud xenophobe!

ReputationRep:

I would be interested to know what leads you to believe that the EU - a leviathan conglomerate of 28 member states each nurturing different interests and collectively totalling over 500 million people and employing god knows how many others, 10,000 of whom are paid more than our Prime Minister - is reformable while the British Parliament is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IYGB)
    19, University student
    Voted leave as I am a proud xenophobe!
    Staggering to think that minds as closed and simple as this have been admitted to actual universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gora The Xplorer)
    You're finally getting it I see. I know I looked like a leave shill for these past few weeks, but this is my point.
    I've been saying that for ages.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.