Robot wars is BACK!

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    I was psyched to see this back, but did anyone else think the editing was abysmal?

During the fights, they switch camera every 2 seconds, so it's impossible to follow the fight or track what's actually going on. All the weird angles should be used for replays and highlights after the fight, not while it's going on. Unwatchable.
    Agreed, I didn't like the live house robot cam shots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    I was psyched to see this back, but did anyone else think the editing was abysmal?

During the fights, they switch camera every 2 seconds, so it's impossible to follow the fight or track what's actually going on. All the weird angles should be used for replays and highlights after the fight, not while it's going on. Unwatchable.
    Totally agree with that, the first fight was unwatchable. Got better as they moved on but wasn't great.

Carbide is monstrous. Imagine if carbide and hypnodisc had a face off. Amazed how much Behmouth got ripped apart by Carbide, they always looked super strong against everyone else.
    Gutted Razor went out so soon.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping Hypno Disk would return this series but after seeing Carbide I think it's a great replacement.
    I really didn't expect Carbide to damage Behemoth in the way it did - it shows how much damage that spinner can do. The whole structure of Carbide must be very tough to handle the kinetic energy dished out during contact at full RPM - I did expect it to damage itself if it hit the arena wall but this didn't actually affect it too much. Still, it does look like the spinner isn't 100% reliable but when it is working it's very destructive.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else dislike the new arena? We won't get to see anyone flipped out of it now. Dislike those spikes that stick up too.
    Dead Metal seems to have a much better saw though, actually made an impact into terrahertz, doubt it would have in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Official BBC upload of Carbide vs Behemoth.

ReputationRep:
    It was nice of Carbide not to keep trying to shred Behemoth apart, Wouldn't have been surprised to see one more hit at least. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    It was nice of Carbide not to keep trying to shred Behemoth apart, Wouldn't have been surprised to see one more hit at least. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
    I think the spinner failed (it had certainly stopped) otherwise they definitely would have had another hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I think the spinner failed (it had certainly stopped) otherwise they definitely would have had another hit.
    I thought it had spun back up as they backed it into the pit? Just hadn't reached its full rpm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't blown away by the first episode, but it was fun.

I still wish Craig Charles was still the presenter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    I thought it had spun back up as they backed it into the pit? Just hadn't reached its full rpm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah yes, just re-watched the ending and you're correct

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, just re-watched the ending and you're correct
    Imagine if two bots with spinners like that went head to head :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Imagine if two bots with spinners like that went head to head :coma:
    It would be the LHC black hole all over again...

Actually there's a few spinners in the comp.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti..._flush_cache=1

ReputationRep:
    It would be the LHC black hole all over again...

Actually there's a few spinners in the comp.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti..._flush_cache=1
    Ironside vs Carbide could be big!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Ironside vs Carbide could be big!
    Indeed I hope the bullet-proof plastic around the arena really is that strong!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really hoping that Pulsar lives up to its potential, it could be the one to watch in terms of destruction, as vertical drum spinners can be even more impressive than horizontal spinners. Looking to BattleBots for examples (again, these are official uploads):

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I'm really hoping that Pulsar lives up to its potential, it could be the one to watch in terms of destruction, as vertical drum spinners can be even more impressive than horizontal spinners. Looking to BattleBots for examples (again, these are official uploads):

True, Matilda has had some massive hits, in the old series when her flywheel was introduced and upgraded it was fierce

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)

:eek3:

That's shamazing.

ReputationRep:
    AJ's Episode 2 predictions :blow:

Chimera - An axel bot, built by Team Death. The axe doesn't look very scary, and the wheels look very vulnerable. Can't see it lasting very long.

DisConstructor - Failed to damage any opponents in its sole Series 7 appearance, and robot armour has come a long way since then, so I guess it depends how much they've improved the weapon.

Draven - Failed to qualify for Series 4, 5 or 6 due to reliability issues, and lost to King B in its only televised fight in Extreme. Again, here's hoping the new team have made some huge improvements!

Foxic - I love the look and design; much lighter than the rest of the robots in this episode, though. I'm not sure whether Draven can self right, so their flipper could see them through the first melee at least.

M.R. Speed Squared - New robot from the creators of Trouble 'n Strife. An invertible full body spinner sounds great, I just hope it's reliable. Predicting them to advance alongside Foxic.

Shockwave - The weapon sounds interesting, a 360 degree lifter that can flip the robot itself onto/away from its opponents. Hopefully we'll get to see it do just that.

Thor - Completely redesigned from the Series 6 - 7 machine. Thor has looked amazing in the live show battles, their axe looks far more dangerous than Terrorhurtz's did last week.

Tough as Nails - Another veteran, and the only Dutch robot to qualify. Should be able to make good use of the new quickly descending pit, though its grab and drop tactics aren't the most thrilling to watch.

My prediction to win the heat: Thor.

Wish Razer was still in in :emo:
    that girl on the razer team was really attractive :getmecoat:

looking forward to today's one though :banana:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.