Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Maker)
    Which of those three are you?
    None of them, I'm somebody that actually believes in democracy and don't become a massive pessimist when I lose

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    None of them, I'm somebody that actually believes in democracy and don't become a massive pessimist when I lose

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bless.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure being consistently concerned about the implications of Brexit both pre and post-referendum is really the same as 'becoming a massive pessimist on losing'.

ReputationRep:
    This is great!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Apart from beer and bar tenders, what does Austrialia produce that Britain would want to buy?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    I'm not sure being consistently concerned about the implications of Brexit both pre and post-referendum is really the same as 'becoming a massive pessimist on losing'.
    No, it's massively pessimistic from day 1. I'm yet to see any of you lot that are still in denial say a SINGLE positive thing, rather you're all massive patronising pessimists

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, it's massively pessimistic from day 1. I'm yet to see any of you lot that are still in denial say a SINGLE positive thing, rather you're all massive patronising pessimists

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Jeez, something positive? Well for me I'm pleased that I'm in a solid financial position and fairly insulated from the mild economic disaster that is Brexit.

And that's me being optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, something positive? Well for me I'm pleased that I'm in a solid financial position and fairly insulated from the mild economic disaster that is Brexit.

And that's me being optimistic.
    Mild and disaster..... Does not compute

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Mild and disaster..... Does not compute

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I could care less.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I could care less.
    So how much do you care?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So how much do you care?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't.

ReputationRep:
    GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is to invest £275m to expand its UK manufacturing sites, saying the country remains "an attractive location" despite Brexit.
    GSK's outgoing chief executive Sir Andrew Witty has previously said that a vote to leave the EU would be "a mistake" as the company benefited from the free movement of highly qualified scientists across Europe and a single EU framework for regulating and approving drugs.But the company has clearly decided that Britain's highly-skilled workforce, relatively low tax rates, and incentives for investing in research outweigh Brexit concerns.

Source 1: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36901027

Source 2: http://www.gsk.com/en-gb/media/press...uring-network/

Businesses are investing heavily in Britain after the country voted to Leave the European Union. Can the Remain whingers please stop with the scare stories? - Farage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is to invest £275m to expand its UK manufacturing sites, saying the country remains "an attractive location" despite Brexit.
    Seems to be a reaction to the increasing likelihood of a 'soft' Brexit.

It seems that Britain will stay in the single market - and with that comes freedom of movement and following EU rules.

These are the things GSK (and other businesses) were most concerned about. However, now that it seems that not much will be changing, then I don't see why they would want to leave.*
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Seems to be a reaction to the increasing likelihood of a 'soft' Brexit.

It seems that Britain will stay in the single market - and with that comes freedom of movement and following EU rules.

These are the things GSK (and other businesses) were most concerned about. However, now that it seems that not much will be changing, then I don't see why they would want to leave.*
    I do love europhiles trying to explain why they were wrong without simply saying "we were wrong, the country hasn't become!e worse than Zimbabwe overnight"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do love europhiles trying to explain why they were wrong without simply saying "we were wrong, the country hasn't become!e worse than Zimbabwe overnight"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And I do love Brexiters making things up.

No one said that we would become Zimbabwe overnight or all business would cease.

What was predicted was a currency devaluation and worsening business confidence with decreased investment. Both have happened.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Basically what Dorian said above.

And I stand by what I said in the post you quoted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Apart from beer and bar tenders, what does Austrialia produce that Britain would want to buy?

Raw materials (metals): http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/visual...gbr/show/2014/

The UK has a $2.4bn surplus with Australia (2014), thanks to its exports of cars, machinery and chemical products. The British industry would therefore really benefit from a free trade deal with Australia, but Australia shouldn't be so much interested as trade of gold and raw materials isn't impacted by such deals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Raw materials (metals): http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/visual...gbr/show/2014/

The UK has a $2.4bn surplus with Australia (2014), thanks to its exports of cars, machinery and chemical products. The British industry would therefore really benefit from a free trade deal with Australia, but Australia shouldn't be so much interested as trade of gold and raw materials isn't impacted by such deals.
    So there is not much incentive for the Australians to have a free trade deal with Britain unless they can sell more stuff to Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    GSK's outgoing chief executive Sir Andrew Witty has previously said that a vote to leave the EU would be "a mistake" as the company benefited from the free movement of highly qualified scientists across Europe and a single EU framework for regulating and approving drugs.But the company has clearly decided that Britain's highly-skilled workforce, relatively low tax rates, and incentives for investing in research outweigh Brexit concerns.

Source 1: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36901027

Source 2: http://www.gsk.com/en-gb/media/press...uring-network/

Businesses are investing heavily in Britain after the country voted to Leave the European Union. Can the Remain whingers please stop with the scare stories? - Farage
    How do you know they would not have invested more if there was not a Brexit?

£275M is a lot but one single drug costs £500M to get from the lab to market so in that context, its a pretty modest investment that will most likely be done in stages and could be reallocated to a different country if there were problems with finally leaving the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    So there is not much incentive for the Australians to have a free trade deal with Britain unless they can sell more stuff to Britain.
    For goods only, but the British government can persuade Australia to sign a deal by saying that British tourists and pensioners will look for the Sun in Australia instead of Europe.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.