Turn on thread page Beta

What would you do with £100,000? watch

ReputationRep:
    £50,000 university fund
    £10,000 holiday
    £10,000 game fund (to spend on new games on Steam or in-game currency)
    £5,000 New gaming PC, 2016 Macbook Pro 13", Jaybird X2s
    £25,000 erm.. donate to the UK post-Brexit? or intensive courses in a European MFL? maybe both...

If we had remained in the EU I would have used the £100,000 as a deposit for a London flat. But seeing as house prices are going to fall, I don't really think it would be a good idea. http://uk.businessinsider.com/finnca...-brexit-2016-7

ReputationRep:
    Buy a few gold bars :scrooge:

ReputationRep:
    find a gap in the market and start my own business :cool:

ReputationRep:
    appartaments, travel

ReputationRep:
    I'll spend 20% of the money on personal use i.e. cars, clothes etc.... and I'll invest the rest of the 80% of the money in the financial markets and watch my money grow into millions within 5-10 years. I will then build my life long dream a.....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    MEGAZORD
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Despite starting University in September, not one penny would be going towards my loans.

If I had £100,000 now I'd probably start by putting it all into a savings account and not touching it for as long as possible. Since I'll be starting Uni soon and have all my loans sorted I have no need to touch it. Even with a low return it would grow fairly significantly over the year. If I was able to leave it alone for all 3 years of university I'd be sitting on a nice bit of extra cash.

After/during my time at uni I'd buy a better car. This wouldn't happen until my second or third year though, since it would have to stay at home for my first year. If I was unable to use it at uni I'd wait until I left completely.

A good portion of the remaining money would likely go on a house deposit.

On the whole I'd like to spend no money than £5000-£10000 on things for myself and just general goods. Maybe after leaving university I'd go on a holiday (been planning a trip to Japan for a while).

So I guess my final answer is to save it away, let it build up until I need money for a house deposit, spend some on a car, some on a holiday and some on random odds and ends. I'd likely buy stuff for a few close friends and family as well.

ReputationRep:
    Give my Mum some money to buy a house, and pay off the mortgage.
    Give some to my sister and my friend, Jack.
    Buy a new phone (I have a nokia, the struggle is real xD)
    Use the rest to travel the world, perhaps with my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a new phone
    Laptop
    New clothes and shoes
    Treat my parents
    Holiday
    Some towards uni costs & rren

Save the rest

ReputationRep:
    Pay off university debt
    Pay off mum's debt
    Split the rest between my mum and myself and put it into a savings account till I leave uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    I would buy a forest.
    This is a nice plan.

I will chip in for a shrub. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Travel the world, deposit a house, buy everything I've ever wanted, save the rest
    wouldn't get you very far these days

(Original post by makelifeeasy)
    wouldn't get you very far these days
    The things I want don't exceed over £5000 in total so I think I'll be okay

ReputationRep:
    Order of importance:
    1)Help the homeless & adopt a child,
    2)Support the family,
    3)Education,
    4)Holiday,
    5)Car,
    6) Save the rest for House Deposit, and Honeymoon
    If I want, maybe a VIP ticket at a Maroon 5 Concert

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    The things I want don't exceed over £5000 in total so I think I'll be okay
    good to know not everyone is greedy

ReputationRep:
    Use it for my education and living and put the rest into savings for a deposit for when I buy my own place. Should be around 60k left for it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    £50k would clear my mortgage (which is the equivalent of a £400 pm pay rise).

My OH needs a new wheelchair so that's £20k (including a trailer and insurance).

The rest I'd probably put towards the charities I work with. Maybe take £5k for a holiday in a year or so - but then with no mortgage I could triple my monthly savings which would add up to that pretty quickly anyway.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Also OMG at the housing comments on this thread - £100k is loads towards a first home. Very few people stay in their first home longer than 5 years. They're supposed to be either pokey or in less pricey areas. The house I grew up in sold last year for £35k (leasehold is running out) it was small and not a rich area but it wasn't a crime riddled hell hole. Even equivalents that are freehold are £75k. My house was bought to last - that's why we bought a house with no kitchen on the edge of a council estate. our neighbours are lovely and we've had the money to expand and grow the house)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Go to as many Coldplay concerts as I possibly can
    Spoiler:
    Show
    And get myself a good wheelchair, and donate some to charity

ReputationRep:
    3 months of muay thai at a good camp abroad.

ReputationRep:
    put 95k into mortage fund

5k on holiday / physical items

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.