Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does tsr support the #blacklivesmattermovement Watch

(Original post by Playmaker#10)
    Well unlike liberals and BLM supporters.

We actually have brains
    (Original post by Playmaker#10)
    If Cops were so evil and corrupt how come you're still alive, why hasn't an officer knocked our door down and killed me or you?
    you certainly do not have brains :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke Kostanjsek)
    Again, you haven't presented any logical rebuttal to racial profiling. The police are disproportionately stopping people who belong to a demographic which disproportionately commits crime. Similarly, they are more likely to stop a young person than an old person, and more likely to stop a man than a women. This doesn't mean that they're saying being young or a man is a crime, it means that they are more likely to have done something criminal so there is a higher chance that a stop-and-search will reveal something. I don't hear anyone getting on their high horse over the police being ageist or sexist though.

As you may have read, I followed that with 'and more pertinently, the police were called out because someone was out on the streets waving a gun around'. My point wasn't 'he's got a track record, so he should have been shot'. My point was 'he's a convicted criminal, who the police know has a firearm in his possession; he is visibly resisting arrest; you just heard someone shout "he's got a gun"' so it is understandable that the copper feared for his safety and that of those around him, and took action.

The police kill plenty of whites and latinos too. The fact that they're more likely to own a weapon is besides the point. Black people are massively, disproportionately involved in gun crime. It is therefore fairly understandable that more black people would be killed, given as they are more likely to be involved in the kind of serious crimes which necessitates such a response.
    "Again, you haven't presented any logical rebuttal to racial profiling"

Yes, I have, you just chose to ignore it. It's wrong because:

a) It doesn't work and doesn't make it any easier to "catch criminals". As I said, white people are more likely to do drugs, yet Black people are more likely to get arrested for it. They're also more likely to get pulled over, despite the fact that when whites were pulled over, drugs and illegal material was found 24% of the time, while when blacks were pulled over, they were only found 19% of the time according to a 2005 study by the Missouri attorney general.
    b) It makes black people not trust the police, meaning they're less likely to report crimes, come forward as witnesses and cooperate in police investigations.
    c) It makes police waste time on innocent suspects, instead of actually doing their ****ing job, which is protecting our community from ALL criminals, because white people commit crimes too.

"who the police know has a firearm in his possession" except, they didn't know because there wasn't sufficient evidence, and no gun was found. they could have tazed him and shot him in the leg. he was on the ground already. he didn't deserve to die. he didn't deserve to die. he didn't deserve to die.

"It is therefore fairly understandable that more black people would be killed, given as they are more likely to be involved in the kind of serious crimes which necessitates such a response"

Yeah, I'm sure if Tamir Rice and Eric Garner hadn't been thugs and hadn't sold cigarettes on the street or played with toys that they'd still be alive today.
    You're making no ****ing logical sense. These men that I'm talking about were unarmed and I've said so repeatedly.

ReputationRep:
    Odd how so many people seem to think being unarmed means you pose absolutely no threat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Not really. I think that black lives matter but I don't agree with the organisation's aims. The fact that one of the Dallas cop killers shouted Black Lives matter makes me dislike them more.

#alllivesmatter
    #bluelivesmatter
    #whyamiusingahashtagontsr
    Repped for the last sentence :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Can someone inform me on what the movement does? All i know is the hashtag and the fact that they protest?
    Read an article!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabstercat)
    you certainly do not have brains :rofl:
    Decent argument you moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizah)
    "Again, you haven't presented any logical rebuttal to racial profiling"

Yes, I have, you just chose to ignore it. It's wrong because:

a) It doesn't work and doesn't make it any easier to "catch criminals". As I said, white people are more likely to do drugs, yet Black people are more likely to get arrested for it. They're also more likely to get pulled over, despite the fact that when whites were pulled over, drugs and illegal material was found 24% of the time, while when blacks were pulled over, they were only found 19% of the time according to a 2005 study by the Missouri attorney general.
    b) It makes black people not trust the police, meaning they're less likely to report crimes, come forward as witnesses and cooperate in police investigations.
    c) It makes police waste time on innocent suspects, instead of actually doing their ****ing job, which is protecting our community from ALL criminals, because white people commit crimes too.

"who the police know has a firearm in his possession" except, they didn't know because there wasn't sufficient evidence, and no gun was found. they could have tazed him and shot him in the leg. he was on the ground already. he didn't deserve to die. he didn't deserve to die. he didn't deserve to die.

"It is therefore fairly understandable that more black people would be killed, given as they are more likely to be involved in the kind of serious crimes which necessitates such a response"

Yeah, I'm sure if Tamir Rice and Eric Garner hadn't been thugs and hadn't sold cigarettes on the street or played with toys that they'd still be alive today.
    You're making no ****ing logical sense. These men that I'm talking about were unarmed and I've said so repeatedly.
    1) Yes it does. You're singling out drugs, but if we look at criminal activity as a whole, black people disproportionately commit offences. This is especially the case in firearm offences, which are the ones most likely to end with a fatality. If racial profiling didn't work, then why do our secret services do it when trying to stop terror attacks? They concentrate their attentions on those most likely to commit offences because it's pretty obvious that if you focus on those, you're more likely to find those who commit offences.

2) They were called out to deal with a man waving a gun around, whilst they were trying to arrest him someone shouted 'he's got a gun!' and after the fact, a gun was removed from the body. You can actually see the cops removing the gun from the body in the footage.

They couldn't tase him if they didn't have a taser. And also, a taser is an electric shock. It makes you spasm. If you're holding a gun with your finger on the trigger and you're tased, you are almost certainly going to fire that gun. So that's a ridiculous suggestion. And since when does being on the ground stop you from firing a gun?

I didn't say he deserved to die, I said I have a lot of sympathy with the police in the US and that the Alton Sterling case was not necessarily racially motivated.

3) Again, you're putting words in my mouth. I never said that there was no racism in the US police. I'm quite sure that there is. What I said was that in a country where every other person has a handgun, the police have to be heavy handed and that will inevitable result in fatalities. And if black people disproportionately commit serious crimes like homicide, then black people will disproportionately suffer these fatalities.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    People should look at their website to see what their aims are, its all there

ReputationRep:
    I fully support the idea of eradicating racial inequality, but I do not support the attitudes of the leader(s?) of the organisation who think that it's an absolutely fantastic idea to fight racism with... racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke Kostanjsek)
    1) Yes it does. You're singling out drugs, but if we look at criminal activity as a whole, black people disproportionately commit offences. This is especially the case in firearm offences, which are the ones most likely to end with a fatality. If racial profiling didn't work, then why do our secret services do it when trying to stop terror attacks? They concentrate their attentions on those most likely to commit offences because it's pretty obvious that if you focus on those, you're more likely to find those who commit offences.

2) They were called out to deal with a man waving a gun around, whilst they were trying to arrest him someone shouted 'he's got a gun!' and after the fact, a gun was removed from the body. You can actually see the cops removing the gun from the body in the footage.

They couldn't tase him if they didn't have a taser. And also, a taser is an electric shock. It makes you spasm. If you're holding a gun with your finger on the trigger and you're tased, you are almost certainly going to fire that gun. So that's a ridiculous suggestion. And since when does being on the ground stop you from firing a gun?

I didn't say he deserved to die, I said I have a lot of sympathy with the police in the US and that the Alton Sterling case was not necessarily racially motivated.

3) Again, you're putting words in my mouth. I never said that there was no racism in the US police. I'm quite sure that there is. What I said was that in a country where every other person has a handgun, the police have to be heavy handed and that will inevitable result in fatalities. And if black people disproportionately commit serious crimes like homicide, then black people will disproportionately suffer these fatalities.
    "you're singling out drugs"

I don't think you even understand what I'm saying. If you specifically target a certain demographic and ignore other ones, those people are more likely to be arrested. That is the case in all offenses, drugs is just one example. Black people are more likely to be stopped at traffic stops, yet less likely to commit crimes related to that.

Even in a scenario like this, the police did not have to kill him, and there is other video footage showing he didn't have a gun. He was on the ground and there were two officers surrounding him. His death was unnecessary, he needed not to die. They could have shot him in the hip. Or the leg or the foot or the arm. They intended to shoot fatally because they directed it at his chest.

"the police have to be heavy handed and that will inevitable result in fatalities"
    No they don't, they need be in lethal harm and have sufficient evidence in order to kill someone or they are breaking the law. They weren't in lethal danger.

ReputationRep:
    Disgusted by the people who are against the black lives matter movement.Whoever killed those police officers was wrong and will be punished.However the police officers that have killed hundreds of black people which were not posing any threat won't get punished.This is the main difference between the two crimes.All lives matter however in America some police officers do not apply this to black lives.Even if one of the men had a previous criminal record it doesn't justify him being killed now.There is literally video evidence of what happened and people are still trying to find excuses for the officers.If a black person gets killed and the first thing that comes to your mind are reasons they deserved it,then you my friend are racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizah)
    "you're singling out drugs"

I don't think you even understand what I'm saying. If you specifically target a certain demographic and ignore other ones, those people are more likely to be arrested. That is the case in all offenses, drugs is just one example. Black people are more likely to be stopped at traffic stops, yet less likely to commit crimes related to that.

Even in a scenario like this, the police did not have to kill him, and there is other video footage showing he didn't have a gun. He was on the ground and there were two officers surrounding him. His death was unnecessary, he needed not to die. They could have shot him in the hip. Or the leg or the foot or the arm. They intended to shoot fatally because they directed it at his chest.

"the police have to be heavy handed and that will inevitable result in fatalities"
    No they don't, they need be in lethal harm and have sufficient evidence in order to kill someone or they are breaking the law. They weren't in lethal danger.
    We're clearly going round in circles here. I'm not for one minute suggesting that any of these people deserved to die. All I was saying is that the police have a hell of a job to do in the States, and that if you imagine being in their shoes, you can understand why they're trigger happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    I don't think black lives matter any more than lives of other skin colours.
    Furthermore, I don't feel that 'BLM' is entirely justified.
    Yes but the USA is agrees that white lives matter.

There is a problem with racism against non white people, especially black people. Hence black lives matter is saying that black lives matter, which lots of Americans could do with remembering... It is not saying black lives should matter more than white lives, rather they should be brought up to have the same worth as a white life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubiquitousking)
    First bold: Belonging to a particular demographic isn't cause to stop someone on the street, though. Suspicious behaviour is, though. It's likely the case that, because of the fact that a certain demographic is more likely to commit a crime, police officers are more likely to perceive their behaviour as suspicious. Adhering to any biases they have, which is human but unprofessional.

Second bold:
    Why is it besides the point? Your first paragraph asserted that black people are more likely to be stopped because they are more likely to commit a crime. So it should follow that whites and Hispanics/Latinos are more likely to be killed by cops as they're more likely to possess firearms (ergo lethal action is "necessary" -- disputable).
    It isn't cause, but if you see a white guy and a black guy acting suspiciously, you'd check the black guy first because statistically, they are more likely to be the one who is a threat. It may not be a nice thing to say, but it is a fact.

It's besides the point because it isn't a crime to own a gun. If you're talking about firearm offences, well they are hugely disproportionately carried out by young black men. Which is precisely why there are so many fatalities within this demographic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Do you support it or are you against it?

ps i'm not hopeful about your answer.

I do not really have much objective feelings of opinions towards it.
    I like to understand things from both perspective, and can see why people are protesting, and people have that right.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    I do not really have much objective feelings of opinions towards it.
    I like to understand things from both perspective, and can see why people are protesting, and people have that right.
    Then why address it to TSR or were you asking the TSR community?
    Have you done any research?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Then why address it to TSR or were you asking the TSR community?

Have you done any research?

I was asking the tsr community, and yes I have done some research.

ReputationRep:
    No. I do not like the way they go about what they do and the divide they create between black and white people.
    But I fully support equality.

ReputationRep:

:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

ReputationRep:
    Yes 100%.

Do I walk into a breast cancer research facility and scream "BUT WHAT ABOUT OTHER CANCERS???!!".

All lives matter crew need to stfu. Black people can't even have movement to ourselves.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.