Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Saying"white lives matter" to counter "black lives matter" is ridiculous.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    :facepalm: Your ignorance is incredible! Are black people not subjected to police brutality in America? Please get your head out of the clouds and face reality!
    Yes they are. Are white people also? Yes.
    Are Hispanics also? Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Yes they are. Are white people also? Yes.
    Are Hispanics also? Yes.
    I know whites are oppressed. I know hispanics are especially oppressed and subjected to cruel stereotypes. But YOU were being ridiculous when saying 'BLACK PEOPLE ARE NOT OPRESSED' because lets face it they are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    I know whites are oppressed. I know hispanics are especially oppressed and subjected to cruel stereotypes. But YOU were being ridiculous when saying 'BLACK PEOPLE ARE NOT OPRESSED' because lets face it they are!
    Ok well everybody is oppressed by Americas crappy police. My point was its not a racism issue.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well everybody is oppressed by Americas crappy police. My point was its not a racism issue.
    You did'nt put your point out there very well by saying 'black people are not oppressed' :lol:
    :yep: I agree American police are sh*t. British Police is much better thank God. :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radmanistan)
    Most people killed by the police in America are White and most Black people killed in America, are killed by other Black people.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...lled-cops-2016
    Blacks are a minority in the US. They form 12% of the total population.

A black man will be shot for having his hands up in surrender, his back turned to police or lying on the ground with several policemen holding him down but a white man can have his gun pulled and will claim it is his constitutional right.

Go figure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessZara)
    Black lives matter
    More whites have been killed by cops then blacks have. Why dont the white people get the credit

Black lives Matter ❤❤❤
    You're so confused lol I was wondering why all your one-line posts keep being edited...

ReputationRep:
    No lives matter.

All we are is dust in the wind.*

ReputationRep:
    Before I start I'd like to say that I myself am black so don't even try to accuse me of being racist.

So basically the reason why black lives matter is a bad movement is because it has not only sparked a lot of racism against whites, it is also based on the completely incorrect premise that black people are disproportionately shot by police. Yes, it is true that black people only make up 13% of the population but they also commit 52% of the murders, and over 30% of the violent crimes. Therefore if black people, black men in particular, commit crimes at such a disproportionally high rate, then it makes sense that they would make up a higher proportion of police interactions with relation to their population size. You could say the same thing for men and women, just because men make up over 90% of the people shot by police does not mean police are discriminating against men, the reason is that men sinply commit more crimes and are therefore more likely to interact with police.

The only reason we are constantly bombarded with the 'racist police' sentiment, is because we constantly see videos where unarmed black men are unjustly shot by police, because these stories are the ones that make the news, since the racial aspect of the story makes it more interesting. Of course, some of these killings truly are unjustified and I agree that the American police needs better training and are just trigger-happy in general, but there is little evidence to suggest that racism is rampant amongst the police department. What we aren't shown by the media are cases like in 2015, where an unarmed white man had 16 bullets shot into his vehicle by two black police officers, which ended up killing his 6 year old son and putting him on life support. In the last week alone I've seen a handful of videos of unarmed white men being shot for no reason by police, yet nobody ever seems to talk about race here, even when the policemen are black.
    Blacks people are simply taught to believe they are the victim, and black lives matter does nothing more than to reinforce this fallacy.
    Oh and just another fun fact: black police officers are more likely to shoot black people than white officers. Try and use the race card there.

Now at this point most black lives matter supporters will realise they have lost the factual/statistical argument and will try to argue a red herring, saying that the reason why black people commit more crimes in the first place are because of society discriminating against them causing them to live in poverty. While this not only an irrelevant argument considering the topic at hand, it is also wrong. I would say that nowadays there is equal opportunity among the races with regard to succeeding in life. Yes, historical factors have put some people at a starting disadvantage to others, but some people are born rich, some are born poor, that's simply the nature of capitalism. All we can do, and have done, is set an equal playing field for people to succeed, rather than to do favour one group as a way of providing retribution for the past. The reason black people continue to live in poverty is mainly due to black culture. There are two things you need to do to not be permanently poor in America: graduate high school, and not become pregnant while young and not in a commited relationship. And black kids are dropping out of high school at an extremely high rate, and the single motherhood rate among the black community is over 70%. There isn't any evil white man making them do this, they choose to, and the fact that white kids under the same socio-economic conditions do not do these things at such high rates would suggest it's a problem caused by black culture not poverty. Poor white kids aren't shooting eachother at huge rates, poor black kids are, simple.

Black lives matter however shifts the blame completely on white people and blames them for all the misfortune in the black community. If they actually cared about black lives they would try to address the fact that about 90% of blacks who are murdered are killed by other blacks. Funnily enough, while 12% of white homicide victims are killed by the police, only 4% of black homicide victims are killed by the police. So going by those statistics, when a black person is killed it's three times less likely to be commited by a police officer. Oh and one more fun fact: an officer is 18.5 times more likely to be murdered by a black man than the officer is to shoot an unarmed black man

Don't get me wrong, police brutality is a big issue in America, it's simply not a race issue. I am yet to have one person offer me a statistic or supported statement which stands up to basic scrutiny, that suggests that blacks are disproportionately shot by police or discriminated against by police. People simply argue with abstract claims catering to public opinion rather than using a full, supported argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsapRocky)
    The reason for black lives matter is because evidentially the general thinking is that they dont.. White people do not need to start saying white lives matter as clearly they seem to matter the most.. Black lives matter movement is basically saying "our lives matter just as much as yours..." So stop being an idiot, history proves white lives have been priority since day 0. But yeah go ahead and try to continue to oppress people and try to act like they are being unreasonable for speaking out, typical

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think what we should be saying is 'all lives matter', the situation in the USA is complex and goes back to the foundation of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, SLAVERY,CIVIL WAR. The blacks in America always conveniently forget, that before slavery got under way, the people toiling in the sugar fields, cotton fields, and plantations, were for the most part poor indentured white labour from ENGLAND, SCOTLAND, IRELAND, AND WALES...Judge Jefferies started it all in 1684, by shipping out thousands of poor white working men and women from DEVON, SOMERSET, CORNWALL...most were worked to death, by brutal and un caring plantation owners...who were white, but only cared for profits..The only good thing to be said about black slavery, is that the owners, who bought the slaves, at least tried to keep their property alive, to get a return on their investment...In total over 250,000 white working people were in effect transported from the British Isles over 200 years as slave labour in either the USA, WEST INDIES, AUSTRALIA or other penal settlements...Did anybody ever say'their lives mattered'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xelfrost)
    If black lives matter can organise a load of street marches surely they can organise some community groups to sort our their own neighbourhoods in an attempt to fix crime and generally improve life conditions. But they don't. The entire movement is just people rioting for the sake of it and none of them have made any effort to actually make a difference.
    How can you be stupid enough to say "but they don't"?! Clearly you know nothing! So much has been done to "sort out THEIR own neighbourhoods" and there are many initiatives used to keep people off the street and out of trouble. And the very fact that you separate black people by saying THEY should sort out THEIR own problems, shows that you are part of the very problem of racism, discriminationand segregation. What happened to people helping one another and holding others up when there are times of trouble?
    Also mate you could do the least and face the facts - history shows that black people literally used to be forced to fix the problems that white people couldn't be bothered to attend to themselves. And fools like you are dumb enough to even say that they should at least do things to help themselves (because you think they DON'T so they SHOULD - seemingly without the help of OTHER communities).

You can't try to generalise the BLACK LIVES MATTER movement like you know everything about it because clearly you don't. You say none of them made any effort to make a difference, but drawing attention to problems that are hidden or looked over is making an effort and I can happily inform you that MANY people are trying their best to make a difference, not only with marches (NOT riots) but with legal and direct approaches. Don't judge something you know NOTHING about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yung.fro)
    Before I start I'd like to say that I myself am black so don't even try to accuse me of being racist.

So basically the reason why black lives matter is a bad movement is because it has not only sparked a lot of racism against whites, it is also based on the completely incorrect premise that black people are disproportionately shot by police. Yes, it is true that black people only make up 13% of the population but they also commit 52% of the murders, and over 30% of the violent crimes. Therefore if black people, black men in particular, commit crimes at such a disproportionally high rate, then it makes sense that they would make up a higher proportion of police interactions with relation to their population size. You could say the same thing for men and women, just because men make up over 90% of the people shot by police does not mean police are discriminating against men, the reason is that men sinply commit more crimes and are therefore more likely to interact with police.

The only reason we are constantly bombarded with the 'racist police' sentiment, is because we constantly see videos where unarmed black men are unjustly shot by police, because these stories are the ones that make the news, since the racial aspect of the story makes it more interesting. Of course, some of these killings truly are unjustified and I agree that the American police needs better training and are just trigger-happy in general, but there is little evidence to suggest that racism is rampant amongst the police department. What we aren't shown by the media are cases like in 2015, where an unarmed white man had 16 bullets shot into his vehicle by two black police officers, which ended up killing his 6 year old son and putting him on life support. In the last week alone I've seen a handful of videos of unarmed white men being shot for no reason by police, yet nobody ever seems to talk about race here, even when the policemen are black.
    Blacks people are simply taught to believe they are the victim, and black lives matter does nothing more than to reinforce this fallacy.
    Oh and just another fun fact: black police officers are more likely to shoot black people than white officers. Try and use the race card there.

Now at this point most black lives matter supporters will realise they have lost the factual/statistical argument and will try to argue a red herring, saying that the reason why black people commit more crimes in the first place are because of society discriminating against them causing them to live in poverty. While this not only an irrelevant argument considering the topic at hand, it is also wrong. I would say that nowadays there is equal opportunity among the races with regard to succeeding in life. Yes, historical factors have put some people at a starting disadvantage to others, but some people are born rich, some are born poor, that's simply the nature of capitalism. All we can do, and have done, is set an equal playing field for people to succeed, rather than to do favour one group as a way of providing retribution for the past. The reason black people continue to live in poverty is mainly due to black culture. There are two things you need to do to not be permanently poor in America: graduate high school, and not become pregnant while young and not in a commited relationship. And black kids are dropping out of high school at an extremely high rate, and the single motherhood rate among the black community is over 70%. There isn't any evil white man making them do this, they choose to, and the fact that white kids under the same socio-economic conditions do not do these things at such high rates would suggest it's a problem caused by black culture not poverty. Poor white kids aren't shooting eachother at huge rates, poor black kids are, simple.

Black lives matter however shifts the blame completely on white people and blames them for all the misfortune in the black community. If they actually cared about black lives they would try to address the fact that about 90% of blacks who are murdered are killed by other blacks. Funnily enough, while 12% of white homicide victims are killed by the police, only 4% of black homicide victims are killed by the police. So going by those statistics, when a black person is killed it's three times less likely to be commited by a police officer. Oh and one more fun fact: an officer is 18.5 times more likely to be murdered by a black man than the officer is to shoot an unarmed black man

Don't get me wrong, police brutality is a big issue in America, it's simply not a race issue. I am yet to have one person offer me a statistic or supported statement which stands up to basic scrutiny, that suggests that blacks are disproportionately shot by police or discriminated against by police. People simply argue with abstract claims catering to public opinion rather than using a full, supported argument.
    Out of genuine interest in your argument and thoughts, do you believe in white prejudice?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I would consider police brutality to not really be a problem in the UK and racism in the UK police has significantly diminished since the Stephen Lawrence.

Black Lives Matter is ineffective and illogical as all ethnicities are under threat from police in the US due to their use of arms as something immediate rather than a last resort. Using Black Lives Matter devalues the lives lost by other ethnic groups and draws boundaries between ethnic groups which in itself creates further division which may lead to increased racism.

So to the solution, if the US amends the second amendment and restricts gun ownership therefore there would be less of a need for every police officer to be scared of being shot during a traffic stop reducing the need for police officers to bear arms which can be seen in our very own country. Thus I really believe that rather than condemning police brutality as systemic racism, the activists should see the gun control as the solution to their problems. The Black Lives Matter movement simply fail to see the conflict from the perspective of the officers who are sincerely scared every time they do anything due to the prevalence of guns in the country meaning that they are at risk of being shot.

ReputationRep:

Would give you more rep if I could. Couldn't have put it across more clearly.

ReputationRep:
    It is stupid, and deflects from the very real bias and discrimination against black people in some areas of the US criminal justice system.

Name:  WhiteLivesMatter.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  35.0 KB

American cops are racist corrupt donuts
    I think it is the wider power structures in society that facilitate this volume of polarisation, primarily because an increase in poverty is conducive to stimulating growing outbreaks of frustration from the black community who resort to crime (theft, robbery etc). In turn, this results in higher arrests and creating a self-fulfilling prophecy which justifies the labelling of blacks in America as more likely to commit a crime and thus warrants negative stereotyping. I'm not saying the cops are good, nor saying that black people should be committing crime, instead it derives from the fact in society these communities are far less affluent than the mainstream.

ReputationRep:
    Black people ARE NOT OPPRESSED. Many Black lives matter supporters are racist supremacists
    I notice that in a City in Southern China, the Migrant Africans are leaving to return home to Nigeria, Ghana, Gabon, after their homes have been demolished, and the local authorities have indicated they are no longer welcome...Why is Chinese racialism never mentioned, always 'white racialism' , same in India, where Africans are always being stopped by the Police, beaten up and abused, some African student was beaten up, then set on fire, in the City of Bangalore..There is a word used extensively in Hindu to describe Africans..it is akin to the N Word...!

ReputationRep:
    #NoLivesMatter

ReputationRep:
    I thought the white lives matter movement is based on the idea black people can be racist :holmes:

I don't know you or what you think (I didn't even read your post) but it entirely possible for members of an oppressed group to join the side of and/or help facilitate the oppression of the group they belong to. Even if that just means denying there is any oppression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Yes I did: almost all of this violence is black-on-black motivated by black South Africans not wanting to have to share welfare payments extracted from whites and South Asians. If Somalis and Ethiopians move in, everyone's cheque has to get smaller, because only the whites and South Asians produce any significant economic value in South Africa.
    As an ex pupil of OBSERVATORY HIGH SCHOOL FOR BOYS...LITTLE MOWBRAY...Now re named RHODES HIGH SCHOOL it is interesting you have pointed out the present economic conditions in SOUTH AFRICA...I have been out of SA for over 26 years, and as far as I can see, it has been on a downward spiral since 1994...It is all very well singing SICOLESI AFRICA, but when I was a boy, we raised the UNION FLAG every morning, and sang with gusto DIE STEM both in ENGLISH and AFRIKAANS...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radmanistan)
    1. White people have as much right to shout White lives matter if their people are being killed in even greater numbers by police.

2. BLM doesn't really care about Black people or else it's foremost goal would be to end Black-On-Black violence in the ghetto, create a wealthy Black economy and generally improve relations between Black men and Black women rather than focusing on an outside enemy which largely doesn't exist.
    Largely doesn't exist??

Freddie Gray, Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin; this is just a list of people off the top of my head, not including the ones over the past few weeks or the ones who don't make international headlines. There were 100+ black people killed by police in 2015. Yet this enemy "doesn't exist"? 🤔

Creating a wealthy black economy - well, you make it seem simpler than it is. To do that you need black people in well paid jobs. They need a good education first and foremost. But most blacks people in the US live in "ghettos". And schools there aren't funded by the government like over here, they're funded by the district. So black people living in poor districts get worse schools. White people in rich districts get better schools. Black people often can't afford private schools, and white people don't need them because their schools are better off anyway.

Please don't act as though black people are simply too lazy to solve their own problems.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.