MAT Prep Thread - 2nd November 2016

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    i just completed the square
    ah yea completing the square is useful

ReputationRep:
    is the question 4 that was on the first page of this convo actually a part of the MAT?
    the one with the stochastic differential equations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BManMagic)
    is the question 4 that was on the first page of this convo actually a part of the MAT?
    the one with the stochastic differential equations
    no

ReputationRep:
    im running out of things to do, how are all you revising for this? I have too much time and not enough work

ReputationRep:
    im running out of things to do, how are all you revising for this? I have too much time and not enough work
    probably means you should chill out a little...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    probably means you should chill out a little...
    i need to do well in MAT to compensate for my **** grades lol.

Ive already done 6 papers but dont want to do any more as I need to save some for later

So far I am just doing C1,C2 papers and some aea,smc and nrich questions.

ReputationRep:
    i need to do well in MAT to compensate for my **** grades lol.

Ive already done 6 papers but dont want to do any more as I need to save some for later

So far I am just doing C1,C2 papers and some aea,smc and nrich questions.
    Take it easy I need the MAT to compensate for my slightly lower than expected AS grades but you don't need to do so much so quickly

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling with too much time - in Scotland timetables are designed around 5 subjects, yet I'm sitting 3 (Advanced Highers), so I've got a bunch of time in school to study and the like.

In terms of preparation, I've been doing one paper a week, then closely reviewing the paper, and giving myself the week to understand the bits I don't get. If I'm still not sure, I ask my maths teacher for help. It seems to be going fairly well so far - at least I get the logic question instead of geometry .

If you look up something called the "Reimann Zeta Club", they've got quite a number of things for the MAT. In particular, I liked their PowerPoints for the multiple choice - it goes through it all very well, particularly looking at certain question types in more depth, and pointing out some common tricks/shortcuts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmanGottu)
    Hey guys if anyone is interested in having group skype sessions to practice for MAT be sure to message me! I'm a US applicant btw and I'm trying to practice so I can try to get a 90-100 on the exam. Here are my test scores to show some sense of credibility. Please message me!

ACT - 36
    Math2 - 800
    Bio - 790
    Chem - 770
    AP CalcAB - 5
    AP Com. Sci - 5
    AMC 12A (Feb. 2016)- 117
    Heyy
    Add me to this Skype chat!

Im doing the MAT and definitely need to start preparing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewman99)
    I know the feeling with too much time - in Scotland timetables are designed around 5 subjects, yet I'm sitting 3 (Advanced Highers), so I've got a bunch of time in school to study and the like.

In terms of preparation, I've been doing one paper a week, then closely reviewing the paper, and giving myself the week to understand the bits I don't get. If I'm still not sure, I ask my maths teacher for help. It seems to be going fairly well so far - at least I get the logic question instead of geometry .

If you look up something called the "Reimann Zeta Club", they've got quite a number of things for the MAT. In particular, I liked their PowerPoints for the multiple choice - it goes through it all very well, particularly looking at certain question types in more depth, and pointing out some common tricks/shortcuts.
    thanks, these power points look the ****

ReputationRep:
    thanks, these power points look the ****
    Do some BMO and step.
    Last years questions 2 of them were easy full marks since I had done BMO and STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Do some BMO and step.
    Last years questions 2 of them were easy full marks since I had done BMO and STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    which step?

ReputationRep:
    which step?
    Just do Step I id say for now. If you do around 2000-2010 it will be overkill but worth it imo.
    The question that was repeated was from a step II i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Just do Step I id say for now. If you do around 2000-2010 it will be overkill but worth it imo.
    The question that was repeated was from a step II i think.
    ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    Im stuck on this mat question from 2010 paper, part iii, I've found the equation of the line, but i can't seem to understand why the line would be tangential when h=2/root5, would it not be tangential when h=root3/2???
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    If h is between the two values given, then the right side of the triangle will intersect the circle in two points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redsquared)
    Im stuck on this mat question from 2010 paper, part iii, I've found the equation of the line, but i can't seem to understand why the line would be tangential when h=2/root5, would it not be tangential when h=root3/2???
    Well if you're stuck on this sort of thing you can just plug things in. Try solving for x^2 + y^2 = 4 when y is given by the line with h = 2/root5. If you get only one solution (which you do) then clearly the line is tangent to the circle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    If h is between the two values given, then the right side of the triangle will intersect the circle in two points.
    oh yeah thanks i just hadn't thought about it like that

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, thought i'd join in here! Been prepping for about a month now, the DR Frost resources are definitely something i would recommend to anyone. How is everyone finding the MAT? To start with i was doing terribly, as this is the first thing like this i've tried, but i find the question styles are definitely easier to prepare for once you've looked at a few past papers. Need to sharpen up my geometry, but the rest of the questions im not finding to bad now. Feel free to message me to talk about any questions, would be a help to me too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Non-Euclidean)
    Hey guys, thought i'd join in here! Been prepping for about a month now, the DR Frost resources are definitely something i would recommend to anyone. How is everyone finding the MAT? To start with i was doing terribly, as this is the first thing like this i've tried, but i find the question styles are definitely easier to prepare for once you've looked at a few past papers. Need to sharpen up my geometry, but the rest of the questions im not finding to bad now. Feel free to message me to talk about any questions, would be a help to me too!
    It's been going quite well - I'm doing roughly a paper a week, and I'm doing the 2011 paper tomorrow. I haven't been focusing too much on scores so far, moreso on tackling and understanding the questions, but I feel I understand most of it. Let's just say I'm very happy to do the logic question rather than geometry. I feel I've been rushing through the papers a bit, though - I usually have quite a bit of time left, and I'm unsure whether going a bit more slowly would help me or just cause me to doubt myself.

Also, can somebody explain 1H from the 2009 paper? I'm in Scotland, and the trapezium rule isn't taught here at all, not even as Advanced Higher. I know a little bit about it (approximating an integral with trapeziums, if the graph curves up it'll be an overestimate otherwise it's an underestimate), and that's been enough for some of the other trapezium rule questions so far, but I just don't get this one.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.