Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Hof123)
    I think it'll be a great idea. It's our future. Especially with the EU referendum. I wish I could've voted remain, as then I might've benn able to go to a German Uni, but now that seems to be impossible...

What on earth are you talking about? Comments like yours show why 16 year olds should not be able to vote, you are very uninformed and ignorant if you think that you are now unable to study in Germany.

ReputationRep:
    I think that for important decisions, like the EU referendum, younger people should be able to vote as it will effect them more than older people... Other voting I wouldn't mind as much...

ReputationRep:
    Completely against it. Teenage brains aren't fully developed yet and this has some pretty dire consequences when teenagers are given positions of power and responsibility. To see why you need to look at the neuroscience behind it.

"In terms of the volume of gray matter seen in brain images, the brain does not begin to resemble that of an adult until the early 20s."
    "The parts of the brain responsible for more "top-down" control, controlling impulses, and planning ahead—the hallmarks of adult behavior—are among the last to mature."
    "One interpretation of all these findings is that in teens, the parts of the brain involved in emotional responses are fully online, or even more active than in adults, while the parts of the brain involved in keeping emotional, impulsive responses in check are still reaching maturity. Such a changing balance might provide clues to a youthful appetite for novelty, and a tendency to act on impulse—without regard for risk."
    http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publi...on/index.shtml

"Most specifically, teenagers lack many of the nerve connections that tie the frontal lobe to the rest of the brain, limiting their ability to think ahead."
    "In the teenage brain, these connections aren’t fully formed yet, and it, unsurprisingly, impacts the brain’s ability to process information in a way that looks at the entire picture. It’s been found that the last part of the brain to finish developing its connections is the frontal lobe, which is also the part of the brain that governs attention span, impulses, and motivation."
    http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/07/25/...-adult-brains/

"It now appears the brain continues to change into the early 20's with the frontal lobes, responsible for reasoning and problem solving, developing last."
    "The frontal lobes help put the brakes on a desire for thrills and taking risk -- a building block of adolescence; but, they're also one of the last areas of the brain to develop fully."
    http://www.edinformatics.com/news/teenage_brains.htm

As I said before, it's a terrible idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabstercat)
    How do you know "our generation" complain about not having kids at 50? None of the young generation are 50. You absolute melt.
    1) Take a deep breath and calm your wrinkled balls.

1) Considering you take verything way too literally I assume you're new to the internet. Its called an hyperbole.

2) Thirdly, to answer your question, about "not having kids at 50": Thats what many people belonging to the pre-millenial generation have exhibited, and since our attitude towards children and marriage has worsened ever since its safe to assume it will be somewhat similiar.

4) And last but not least, thats my subjective oppinion.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Please put more than 1 second of thought into your question, the next time you ask one.

ReputationRep:

16 Year olds should be allowed to vote.
    Fullstop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisN)
    == We believe 16 and 17 year olds deserve to be heard in elections. If you agree and would like to get involved in researching our approach and then campaigning for change, please get in touch==

Having worked at The Student Room for 10 years, and as a College Governor at Brighton and Hove Sixth Form College, I've been overwhelmed by the number of highly engaged young students having really well informed debates on key political issues. This is sometimes more than can be said for much of the adult population.

As you turn 16 and 17 you gain the rights to get married, have children, join the army, drive, fly planes, as well as the to go to adult prison. As young people, you will also have to live with the consequences of political decisions for longer than any of the rest of us. To me it feels like a relic from the past that your voice is excluded from important political decisions. You have a right for your opinions to be listened to at the highest levels, and on the most important issues.

During the EU referendum our polls showed that 82% of 16 and 17 year olds wanted to Remain, so clearly your views were not well represented by the general voting population. Interestingly though, 16 and 17 year olds polled similarly to 18-24 year olds - 75% of whom voted Remain (YouGov after the vote), so broadly in line with your closest peers.

Scotland lowered the voting age to 16 in 2014 for the independence vote, and are now extending it for all elections. With the current sweeping political change in the UK we feel that the time is right to follow their lead, and to push to get the UK parliament to adopt this progressive position.

So with that in mind, we would like to identify driven members of the TSR community who would like to get involved in researching, refining our position, and campaigning for this change, with the support of TSR to assist with political contacts, public relations and lobbying. We will consider whether to go this alone, or to join up with other organisations.

As TSR is used by 75% of the 16-24 population, and gets 8.5 million visits to our websites each month, we are often approached, and listened to, by the political establishment as well as other media, and we feel it is right to use this position to help drive through a change we feel so passionately about.

If this is a cause that you feel strongly that you would like to help with, then post your interest in here, and we will get a private forum set-up to start discussing the best route forwards.

We want to do our bit to ensure your voice is heard. We hope you do too, and will join us in making this happen.

We understand their will be differences of opinion on this subject, and that's fine too.

Thanks

Chris
    Wait, So I can get a PPL at 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter either way. Young people don't vote.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    All these salty stay voters, only 36%(that means under 1/3 of young adults actually voted to stay btw) of 18-25 came out to vote in the brexit, there is no way that 16-17 year olds would come out in enough numbers to make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how so called "liberals" are advocating tests as a prerequisite as a right to vote....... There shouldn't be any gets. Wait till your 18 then exercise your right to vote simple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galaxie501)
    Absolutely 100% against it. I dont even believe 18 year olds should be able to vote due to a lack of experience and understanding of how the world works. Just look at the great majority of Bernie supporters: College/University educated people with very little understanding of politics and economics - despite their education.

I know this is not possible, but around 30 seems a good age to make an educated vote.

Also, whats next, 12 year old vote?
    lol

ReputationRep:
    If anything the voting age should be raised to 21, not lowered to 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATW1)
    If anything the voting age should be raised to 21, not lowered to 16.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    == We believe 16 and 17 year olds deserve to be heard in elections. If you agree and would like to get involved in researching our approach and then campaigning for change, please get in touch==

Having worked at The Student Room for 10 years, and as a College Governor at Brighton and Hove Sixth Form College, I've been overwhelmed by the number of highly engaged young students having really well informed debates on key political issues. This is sometimes more than can be said for much of the adult population.

As you turn 16 and 17 you gain the rights to get married, have children, join the army, drive, fly planes, as well as the to go to adult prison. As young people, you will also have to live with the consequences of political decisions for longer than any of the rest of us. To me it feels like a relic from the past that your voice is excluded from important political decisions. You have a right for your opinions to be listened to at the highest levels, and on the most important issues.

During the EU referendum our polls showed that 82% of 16 and 17 year olds wanted to Remain, so clearly your views were not well represented by the general voting population. Interestingly though, 16 and 17 year olds polled similarly to 18-24 year olds - 75% of whom voted Remain (YouGov after the vote), so broadly in line with your closest peers.

Scotland lowered the voting age to 16 in 2014 for the independence vote, and are now extending it for all elections. With the current sweeping political change in the UK we feel that the time is right to follow their lead, and to push to get the UK parliament to adopt this progressive position.

So with that in mind, we would like to identify driven members of the TSR community who would like to get involved in researching, refining our position, and campaigning for this change, with the support of TSR to assist with political contacts, public relations and lobbying. We will consider whether to go this alone, or to join up with other organisations.

As TSR is used by 75% of the 16-24 population, and gets 8.5 million visits to our websites each month, we are often approached, and listened to, by the political establishment as well as other media, and we feel it is right to use this position to help drive through a change we feel so passionately about.

If this is a cause that you feel strongly that you would like to help with, then post your interest in here, and we will get a private forum set-up to start discussing the best route forwards.

We want to do our bit to ensure your voice is heard. We hope you do too, and will join us in making this happen.

We understand their will be differences of opinion on this subject, and that's fine too.

Thanks

Chris
    All your post proved to me is the age of those other things should be raised

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

So they could get the right result, from naive inexperienced people. If anything the voting age should be raised, I knew nothing at 16, and barely anything at 18. I think 21 would be better. It's not 'progressive' to push the voting age down, the logical conclusion is that you could have children voting long term. Experience is pertinent. You're proposing that at an age where people can't drink or drive, that they can decide the future of a country. It's more important not less.

I presume this is to do with a second referendum, you can't change the rules then, it'd be totally corrupt.

(Original post by Galaxie501)
    Absolutely 100% against it. I dont even believe 18 year olds should be able to vote due to a lack of experience and understanding of how the world works. Just look at the great majority of Bernie supporters: College/University educated people with very little understanding of politics and economics - despite their education.

I know this is not possible, but around 30 seems a good age to make an educated vote.

Also, whats next, 12 year old vote?
    Exactly. However engaged they are, a sixteen-year-old can't be trusted to decide what's for dinner, let alone who should run the country and how.

I also agree about being around thirty... well, I'd say mid-twenties, and eligability to vote should depend on an aptitude test: examine a person to see if they're capable of making informed decisions before allowing them to make non-informed ones. Maybe even use the exam results in lieu of the ballot (anonymous examinations, in that case).

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a 17 year old, you're all forgetting that we attend school; politics lessons could be made compulsary.

Saying we're uneducated and that we shouldn't get the vote isn't really going to solve any problems. When do you become politically educated? Do you, on your 18th birthday, have an epiphany in which you magically form political opinions and become "educated"? Absolutely not! I'm actually sick of people who are older than me dismissing "my generation" for being "uneducated" and doing nothing about it. Educate us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatIsSleep)
    Speaking as a 17 year old, you're all forgetting that we attend school; politics lessons could be made compulsary.

Saying we're uneducated and that we shouldn't get the vote isn't really going to solve any problems. When do you become politically educated? Do you, on your 18th birthday, have an epiphany in which you magically form political opinions and become "educated"? Absolutely not! I'm actually sick of people who are older than me dismissing "my generation" for being "uneducated" and doing nothing about it. Educate us.
    Who's going to regulate what the teachers do in these classes? I'd say the children would be easily swayed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    Who's going to regulate what the teachers do in these classes? I'd say the children would be easily swayed.
    Teachers aren't allowed to advocate their political/religious beliefs in the classroom anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Completely against it. Teenage brains aren't fully developed yet and this has some pretty dire consequences when teenagers are given positions of power and responsibility. To see why you need to look at the neuroscience behind it.

"In terms of the volume of gray matter seen in brain images, the brain does not begin to resemble that of an adult until the early 20s."
    "The parts of the brain responsible for more "top-down" control, controlling impulses, and planning ahead—the hallmarks of adult behavior—are among the last to mature."
    "One interpretation of all these findings is that in teens, the parts of the brain involved in emotional responses are fully online, or even more active than in adults, while the parts of the brain involved in keeping emotional, impulsive responses in check are still reaching maturity. Such a changing balance might provide clues to a youthful appetite for novelty, and a tendency to act on impulse—without regard for risk."
    http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publi...on/index.shtml

"Most specifically, teenagers lack many of the nerve connections that tie the frontal lobe to the rest of the brain, limiting their ability to think ahead."
    "In the teenage brain, these connections aren’t fully formed yet, and it, unsurprisingly, impacts the brain’s ability to process information in a way that looks at the entire picture. It’s been found that the last part of the brain to finish developing its connections is the frontal lobe, which is also the part of the brain that governs attention span, impulses, and motivation."
    http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/07/25/...-adult-brains/

"It now appears the brain continues to change into the early 20's with the frontal lobes, responsible for reasoning and problem solving, developing last."
    "The frontal lobes help put the brakes on a desire for thrills and taking risk -- a building block of adolescence; but, they're also one of the last areas of the brain to develop fully."
    http://www.edinformatics.com/news/teenage_brains.htm

As I said before, it's a terrible idea.
    What has brain development got to do with forming political ideas? Just because we're still growing doesn't mean we can't have an opinion. Being generally uneducated in political matters is not because of our brains. It's because we're not receiving an education.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.