Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    between you and Chinese, what hope do i have
    I speak English! Sometimes, when I'm not having random German conversations with a couple of the other medics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I speak English! Sometimes, when I'm not having random German conversations with a couple of the other medics

Are you German?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i'll do it for you at cam if you want I do my boyfriend's all the time. And my brother's. And mine, and my sister's, but not with clippers. sadly i can't find a picture of me when i cut it myself but i assure you it was very nice.
    We believe you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Are you German?
    Nope, though I do have German relatives, so I speak it fairly fluently (I did A-Level and went out there to stay with them for practice.) Some of my friends also have German relatives, so we talk to each other in German for some unknown reason

ReputationRep:
    Nope, though I do have German relatives, so I speak it fairly fluently (I did A-Level and went out there to stay with them for practice.) Some of my friends also have German relatives, so we talk to each other in German for some unknown reason
    The reason is not unknown... I understand it completely! If there are some fellow Gaelgeoiri around I like to speak Irish so that people don't know what I'm saying about them (only joking... or am I? :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    so we talk to each other in German for some unknown reason
    Just to show off.

But it's good to keep up fluency in another language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Just to show off.

I think my reason is more likely

ReputationRep:
    helenia, are there many germans at Clare?

ReputationRep:
    I think my reason is more likely
    To talk about people without them understanding you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    To talk about people without them understanding you?

But of course!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    But of course!!!!!!!!!!
    Tu pues comme un chien rance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomek J.)
    helenia, are there many germans at Clare?
    I know of a couple

And I don't do it to show off - I never deliberately speak German to block out other people. It's just fun; I speak it with my sister as well at home.

ReputationRep:
    And I don't do it to show off - I never deliberately speak German to block out other people. It's just fun; I speak it with my sister as well at home.
    I know, I was only joking. It's quite obvious when people burst into other languages to show off...none of my friends do it though. Many of them really don't like using English for casual conversations because school isn't really a home for them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah one of my friends constantly bursts into French to show off. Does my head in, especially as I was always better than her at French

ReputationRep:
    I am linguistically challenged

i did the 1st year of GCSE ancient greek (for some reason - i didnt finish it and get the GCSE) and its only benefit was that we could write notes to each other in greek letters so no one else understood them

oh, and it's handy for physics (no sir, that's not a diameter sign, that's a phi, ok?)

ReputationRep:
    all this talk about languages is making me jealous ...i only did french until year 9. no foreign languages at GCSE (i can speak a bit of arabic and am fluent at understanding tamil though- but thats not much use here now is it?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    all this talk about languages is making me jealous ...i only did french until year 9. no foreign languages at GCSE (i can speak a bit of arabic and am fluent at understanding tamil though- but thats not much use here now is it?)

Um... you do realise that being able to translate rare languages pretty much guarantees that sooner or later you will get paid a thick wad of cash for a days work? I wouldn't discount Tamil just cause it isn't a 'popular' language choice. ( Are you telling me there's no call for the translation of English manuals into Indian languages? )

I can speak French to a considerable standard ( not fluently, but I'm reputed to show promise by people that would know ) and have the smallest smattering of German and Italian.

I drew up a list at some point of a dozen or so languages I'd like to learn sooner or later. Since making it I have progressed not one iota to making it a reality. I blame Anthony Burgess; *******!

Edit... why was this text so large?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)

Um... you do realise that being able to translate rare languages pretty much guarantees that sooner or later you will get paid a thick wad of cash for a days work? I wouldn't discount Tamil just cause it isn't a 'popular' language choice. ( Are you telling me there's no call for the translation of English manuals into Indian languages? )

I can speak French to a considerable standard ( not fluently, but I'm reputed to show promise by people that would know ) and have the smallest smattering of German and Italian.

I drew up a list at some point of a dozen or so languages I'd like to learn sooner or later. Since making it I have progressed not one iota to making it a reality. I blame Anthony Burgess; *******!

Edit... why was this text so large?
    i see your point, but im afraid i wasnt too clear in my previous post **nww feels like i cant even do english :rolleyes: )**. i meant that i could understand spoken-tamil in all its forms but i cannot read or write. i can speak a fair but most tamilians wont be able to understand me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    i see your point, but im afraid i wasnt too clear in my previous post **nww feels like i cant even do english :rolleyes: )**. i meant that i could understand spoken-tamil in all its forms but i cannot read or write. i can speak a fair but most tamilians wont be able to understand me
    Uh... hate to be drawing conclusions based on your username but are one or both of your parents from a Tamil speaking part of India?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.