Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    Help please guys.

Is the military on the street supporting the coup, or are they army rebels, against the coup? thanks.
    It appears they're leading the coup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grumpyteen)
    Lol I'm supposed to be going on Tueaday. I don't want to go now. I don't want to die. I have a whole great life ahead of me!
    Oh god it probably won't be over by then either. Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Help please guys.

Is the military on the street supporting the coup, or are they army rebels, against the coup? thanks.
    It appears that those on the street are in support of the coup. It seems like it's the police force in Turkey that are defending the government.

ReputationRep:
    Help please guys.

All of the military I've seen in Istanbul is supporting the coup, including the helicopter shooting and the jets.

Also a few pictures of soldiers arresting police officers - looks like a video game!

Help please guys.

Both

Army rebels took the army chief as a hostage, apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Just like all the other ones were...

Nope.
    Nostradamus predicted WW3 would start in 2016. He also predicted you would say that

ReputationRep:
    Help please guys.

Army in streets coup support, not sure but I think the pro erdogan military have yet to mobilise. It has been only 2-3 hours.

ReputationRep:
    The usual fear mongering WW3 idiots are at it again.

ReputationRep:
    It appears they're leading the coup.
    (Original post by The Financier)
    It appears that those on the street are in support of the coup. It seems like it's the police force in Turkey that are defending the government.
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    All of the military I've seen in Istanbul is supporting the coup, including the helicopter shooting and the jets. Also a few pictures of soldiers arresting police officers - looks like a video game!
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Army in streets coup support, not sure but I think the pro erdogan military have yet to mobilise. It has been only 2-3 hours.
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    BothArmy rebels took the army chief as a hostage, apparently
    Thank you for the replies guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Filler)
    Nostradamus predicted WW3 would start in 2016. He also predicted you would say that
    He also said your mum would give birth to an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Turkish military have imposed Martial Law

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how Turkey fighting itself is WW3.
    Turkey is a very important country for the balance of power in the Middle East. If Turkey goes to the dogs as well as all the other failed states it is surrounded by then who knows what could happen next in the region.

Plus Russia always has Black Sea aspirations, we saw what happened in Crimea when the troubles kicked off in Ukraine (yes Russia just patched up their Turkey relations but does that really mean much?)

It's a NATO member which raises the stakes as well if things kick off.

In all likelihood it will pass and we'll just end up with another equally abhorrent Islamist as president, but there is potential for things to happen if Erdogan wants to play like Assad.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm supposed to be going on Tuesday. I don't want to go now.
    Maybe you shouldn't go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    Oh god it probably won't be over by then either. Good luck!
    Thanks. I want to just cancel the holiday now and go somewhere peaceful instead like Italy. I will probably still end up going to Turkey though... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Filler)
    the Summer it raineth everye daye, but the May cometh into flower in Julye

ReputationRep:
    Looks like the military have the upper-hand so far. Worst-case scenario would be substantial opposition to the coup resulting in bloodshed.

I'm meant to be going there in just over two weeks as well: travellers will have to wait for advice, it seems.

The line of the government seems to be all talk; there hasn't been any significant opposition to the coup except from scattered police forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    Maybe you shouldn't go.
    You think so? I am going to the south of Turkey though... Nowhere near Ankara or Istanbul...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I want to just cancel the holiday now and go somewhere peaceful instead like Italy. I will probably still end up going to Turkey though... :/
    Be safe and go somewhere else seeing as though you're going in 5 days. Italy is lovely!!

ReputationRep:
    He also said your mum would give birth to an idiot.
    Keep telling yourself it wont happen. Ill be in my safe safe safe cave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    "Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law and general security that was damaged. "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...gunfire-ankara

I think I support the coup...
    Isn't a similar narrative pushed by any coup? You don't get all those soldiers to march through their own streets if you tell them you're going to be the next big dictator.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.