_gcx's GCSE Journey :D

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Day 19 & Day 20:
    • Maths - Helped @*Alisha* with a few C-B grade topics (inequalities, surface area, simulataneous equations, etc.)! (so that qualifies as some revision) In terms of D1, I started looking at Dijkstra's algorithm, Prim's algorithm and Kruskal's algorithm, and did a practice question each. The one thing I'd be worried about for D1 would be running out of time. Some of the algorithms are pretty time consuming, particularly bubble sorts, which can take quite a few passes. S1 looks quite boring to me, so aside from linear interpolation, standard deviation, and quartiles, I haven't really done much. In terms of C1 I looked at the application of pythagoras' theorem in the context of line lengths, expressed normally as surds/radicals.
    • Physics - Did a bit of work on P2, in terms of nuclear power. P2 seems to be quite a small module, but I will scan through the specification to see what I've missed at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Day 21 & Day 22:

Pretty much just chilling over the past few days, little work done. I looked at definite integrals for C2, and did a few practice questions. I also continued my P2 notes, and that's about it! Not very eventful! XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I just did my mocks, with medium effort.
    What did you get in your mock exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ɓonnie)
    What did you get in your mock exams?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • [AQA] English Literature: 7 [Target: 8/9]
    • [AQA] English Language: 6 [Target: 7/8/9]
    • [Edexcel] Maths: 9 [Target: 9]
    • [Edexcel] Biology: A [Target: A*]
    • [Edexcel] Chemistry: A [Target: A*]
    • [Edexcel] Physics: B [Target: A*]
    • [AQA] French: C [Target: A/B]
    • [OCR] Religious Studies: A [Target: A*]
    • [OCR CamNat] IT: A* [Target: A*]
    • [OCR] History: A* [Target: A*]

I put it in the OP, but just in case you missed it. ^

Colour coding is self-explanatory, based off how far I am under target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • [AQA] English Literature: 7 [Target: 8/9]
    • [AQA] English Language: 6 [Target: 7/8/9]
    • [Edexcel] Maths: 9 [Target: 9]
    • [Edexcel] Biology: A [Target: A*]
    • [Edexcel] Chemistry: A [Target: A*]
    • [Edexcel] Physics: B [Target: A*]
    • [AQA] French: C [Target: A/B]
    • [OCR] Religious Studies: A [Target: A*]
    • [OCR CamNat] IT: A* [Target: A*]
    • [OCR] History: A* [Target: A*]
    I put it in the OP, but just in case you missed it. ^

Colour coding is self-explanatory, based off how far I am under target.
    Great work! Continue the effort and you're well on your way to achieving 7/8A*s! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Hi, well done on your progress so far!

(Original post by _gcx)
    What I'm seeking to improve:

French, especially. I ****ed up my French speaking, while getting a high B/low A in my writing.
    Have you tried Acapela Group? It's a really accurate type-to-speech site, recommended by my French teacher. You can type in any French extract or your Speaking assessment (if you've got another one coming) and hear how it's pronounced, with good intonation and at a good speed - it's also quite useful for your listening exams.

Also, here are some A* phrases for your writing assessment :thumbsup:

Best of luck to all your exams, and I hope you'll get into those top universities! :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honour)
    Hi, well done on your progress so far!

Have you tried Acapela Group? It's a really accurate type-to-speech site, recommended by my French teacher. You can type in any French extract or your Speaking assessment (if you've got another one coming) and hear how it's pronounced, with good intonation and at a good speed - it's also quite useful for your listening exams.

Also, here are some A* phrases for your writing assessment :thumbsup:

Best of luck to all your exams, and I hope you'll get into those top universities! :^_^:
    Thanks! I'll definitely make sure to check that out!

(Original post by Ɓonnie)
    Great work! Continue the effort and you're well on your way to achieving 7/8A*s! ^_^
    Thanks, and good luck on achieving your aspirations!

ReputationRep:
    I'm off on holiday in Dublin from Monday, until Thursday, so I will be taking a break from work, and I won't be updating this thread. I haven't achieved too much since my last update, but I've done a bit of D1 practice and I improved my C1 notes to encompass far more topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I'm off on holiday in Dublin from Monday, until Thursday, so I will be taking a break from work, and I won't be updating this thread. I haven't achieved too much since my last update, but I've done a bit of D1 practice and I improved my C1 notes to encompass far more topics.
    How do you find D1 so far? I learnt alot if it in a day and tbh i find it quite boring and repetitive, however dijkstra's algorithm is quite interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashtosh302)
    How do you find D1 so far? I learnt alot if it in a day and tbh i find it quite boring and repetitive, however dijkstra's algorithm is quite interesting
    Some algorithms are quite tedious and boring, like bubble sorting, although most algorithms see clear practical usage in CS and other fields. Most of the stuff I've looked at, probably with the exception of Dijkstra's, which took a bit to get, was pretty straightforward. I still need to look at route inspection, bipartite graphs, and functions. Running out of time might be a worry with D1, since it can get really reptitive. D1 overall is pretty straightforward, but it requires quite a bit of logical thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Some algorithms are quite tedious and boring, like bubble sorting, although most algorithms see clear practical usage in CS and other fields. Most of the stuff I've looked at, probably with the exception of Dijkstra's, which took a bit to get, was pretty straightforward. I still need to look at route inspection, bipartite graphs, and functions. Running out of time might be a worry with D1, since it can get really reptitive. D1 overall is pretty straightforward, but it requires quite a bit of logical thinking.
    for me you dont even have to think, just remember how to do it( ie how to do quick sort), so its more of common sense

linear programming in D1 is really useful for CS, if you've done it before

also i dont understand what you mean when you said your running out of time? do you mean in lessons or when your learning it yourself, otherwise you shouldt have a time limit

ReputationRep:
    for me you dont even have to think, just remember how to do it( ie how to do quick sort), so its more of common sense

linear programming in D1 is really useful for CS, if you've done it before

also i dont understand what you mean when you said your running out of time? do you mean in lessons or when your learning it yourself, otherwise you shouldt have a time limit
    I just haven't timed myself with any AS problems yet, and I'm worried that I'm not doing, for example, Dijkstra's/bubble sorting, quick enough, ie. for an exam situation. I suppose it's too early to worry, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I just haven't timed myself with any AS problems yet, and I'm worried that I'm not doing, for example, Dijkstra's/bubble sorting, quick enough, ie. for an exam situation. I suppose it's too early to worry, really.
    Ohh i understand what you mean now, it doesnt matter you have plenty of time to work out your timings when you start your a levels

ReputationRep:
    Ohh i understand what you mean now, it doesnt matter you have plenty of time to work out your timings when you start your a levels
    I know, sometimes it's hard not to worry about those sort of small things! :P But yeah, I have ages before I start this seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Due to an overall lack of progress/interest at the moment, I'm postponing updates on this thread until the new term starts, unless I see a need to update with anything of note. I'll continue Maths work, and some revision, but I'm not making significant progress, since atm I'm just trying to enjoy my holiday. I've already made far more progress than I was expecting to make, and I'm very happy with that. A likely outcome is that I'll do another few updates before the new term starts, but I can't promise much. When school starts back up I'll continue making my notes. So, therefore, this is my final update for now:
    • Maths: Continued my C1 notes, with a few topics I was a bit iffy on, and added to my D1 notes with Dijkstra's algorithm and route inspection. Again, those were two topics that were caused somewhat significant difficulty.
    • Science: More of a TODO, but I'm planning on starting B1/C1/B2 notes. I'd call myself around halfway through science, atm. Not much progress.
    I'm going to be doing some revision next week with the Year 11 Skype group, so that should give me some content for my next update. So, overall, thanks to anyone who's reading this, and expect an update in the following weeks, and an increase in frequency when the next term starts.

Thanks

-George

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Due to an overall lack of progress/interest at the moment, I'm postponing updates on this thread until the new term starts, unless I see a need to update with anything of note. I'll continue Maths work, and some revision, but I'm not making significant progress, since atm I'm just trying to enjoy my holiday. I've already made far more progress than I was expecting to make, and I'm very happy with that. A likely outcome is that I'll do another few updates before the new term starts, but I can't promise much. When school starts back up I'll continue making my notes. So, therefore, this is my final update for now:
    • Maths: Continued my C1 notes, with a few topics I was a bit iffy on, and added to my D1 notes with Dijkstra's algorithm and route inspection. Again, those were two topics that were caused somewhat significant difficulty.
    • Science: More of a TODO, but I'm planning on starting B1/C1/B2 notes. I'd call myself around halfway through science, atm. Not much progress.
    I'm going to be doing some revision next week with the Year 11 Skype group, so that should give me some content for my next update. So, overall, thanks to anyone who's reading this, and expect an update in the following weeks, and an increase in frequency when the next term starts.

Thanks

-George
    good cause I find it quite interesting reading through this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forre)
    good cause I find it quite interesting reading through this
    Well, good to know I wasn't just talking to myself!

ReputationRep:
    You seem like you've been working hard! Are you getting results back for the May exams tomorrow? (sorry if that's an answered question, only just been skimming over people's threads)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iso.lde)
    You seem like you've been working hard! Are you getting results back for the May exams tomorrow? (sorry if that's an answered question, only just been skimming over people's threads)
    Yeah, I'm getting the results for my IT exam, today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Yeah, I'm getting the results for my IT exam, today!
    Good luck!! I just got my Science results back, hope it goes well ^^

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.