Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Approach a priest, or some leader in the church and ask him about it, perhaps I'm sure the leader can then direct you to the appropriate people. As for how to convert - well, as long as you're a Catholic who practises the message of Christianity, I consider you a Christian (just a matter of denomination names), and the practice amongst protestants anyway tends to be a prayer of giving your life to Jesus, asking Him to forgive your sins etc. This is standard practice but in the end, that prayer is not what makes you a Christian/Catholic - it's the faith, whether you really believe it, follow it, have faith in God. That makes you a follower, not the ceremony/prayers etc, though they tend to be just a symbol to say that you're now part of God's family and kingdom. So for Catholics, maybe the conversion tradition is different, but in the end, rituals don't matter - it's the faith that God is concerned about.

It seems like you've thought it through, so maybe ask one of your Catholic friends to take you to their priest or someone in their church, and they can redirect you to the appropriate person I'm really glad you've made such a brave decision, cus I know it must be hard and very scary when you know you won't have the support of your family. Make sure you get into a church and keep nurtured in God's Word (Bible) - you'll get the support and encouragement you need from friends around you who're Christians/Catholics. Trust in God, you can't go wrong

And hey, if you truly believe that Jesus is the truth, that Christianity is the right way - don't get put off by what other people say or by fear. You can't keep following what you believe is no longer right, just for family's sake. Jesus never said it would be easy, and yes you will have a hard time with your family, but in the end, truth matters most, and Jesus offers eternal life. I'm a Christian - not a Catholic but our doctrine is the same (eg, same Christian message) - so feel free to PM me if you've got any questions. I have a friend who's Catholic so if I don't know the answers, I'll ask her for you xxxx You're in my prayers x

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP,
    I, as well as many other ppl on this thread want to know your reasons for choosing Catholicism very carefully as this is a decision that you should not take lightly, especially at such a young age (assuming you are 17). I know a very close friend who nearly converted to Catholicism from Sunni Islam but then eventually discovered that Shia Islam is kind of like a combination of some of the main Muslim principles with some of the Catholic ones too. If you would like more info on this, please feel free to PM me as Shia Islam is something that seems really attractive to me at the moment...

ReputationRep:
    Dear friend,

İt's really up to you whether you remain as muslim or convert to catholicism...In my humble opinion catholics will welcome you happily, as they are sincere in their beliefs. Even, if you remain as muslim, they still must respect and get along well with you, because Jesus (upon whom be peace) said that his followers should love not only each other, but also their enemies. I don't mean to say that catholics see muslims as their enemies but even if they do so, they must love muslims, as Jesus said "love your enemies".

Regarding your decision, truly it is an important decision which must be tought carefully when applying it...It can lead to some parental problems, or make you get isolated from your society. But I must say that a true muslim will not react that negatively or cause problems to you because of your decision, even if they are your parents! Allah says in the Qur'an "Let there be no compulsion in the religion: Surely the Right Path is clearly distinct from the crooked path." (2:256)

But I personally wonder what it is that you found in catholicism, but not in Islam! Bear in your mind that if a catholic becomes a muslim, he/she will not reject his/her previous faith, but he/she will refine it, because Muslims already believe in Jesus and the Holy Bible. (but christians do not believe in Muhammed or Quran). So if a christian becomes muslim, he will not have many problems to embrace Islam and adjust it, hence it will be very easy, whereas if a muslim becomes a christian, he has to reject the Qur'an and Muhammed (upon whom be peace and blessings) in order to became a christian, which is a little bit more difficult than vice versa. İt's like the jews and christians. Christians believe in Moses and Torah, but Jews reject believing in Jesus. Muslims believe in all, Moses, Jesus, as well as Mohammed, but Christians and Judaists reject believing in Mohammed.

Anyway, if you still want to become a catholic, you just have to visit a church...But if you are having a dilemma, then I would suggest you to pray to your Lord for him to guide you to the correct path, whichever it is. If you are sincere, God will guide you to the straight path...

(Original post by Marie05)
    Catholics welcome anyone to their religion. But you do know that a muslim converting to another religion is punishable by death?
    Nowhere in the Quran does it say that apostates should be punished by death! On the contrary, there are some verses which can prove that such a penalty is not given. For example;

"Those who believe, then disbelieve, then believe again, then disbelieve, and then increase in their disbelief - Allah will never forgive them nor guide them to the path." (4:137)

This verse clearly shows that multiple, sequential apostasies are possible. That would not be possible if the person were executed after the first apostasy!

I hope I enlighted you...

With blessings and love,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schaak)
    "Those who believe, then disbelieve, then believe again, then disbelieve, and then increase in their disbelief - Allah will never forgive them nor guide them to the path." (4:137)
    Awesome, no death, just eternal damnation. As encouraging a message as any, i suppose.
    But, then again, there's stuff like that in most religions, so it shouldn't really come as a shock.

If i'm brutally honest, then you're just going to have to suck it up and do it. If you've seriously been thinking about it for 2 years and doing your reserach - and you take your spiritual wellbeing at such a high priority at your age - then there's no point being stuck in a religion you don't want to be in.
    Also, we don't know your family, or your local community, so i don't think it's possible for any of us to accurately predict the outcome of your revelation. Is your family strongly linked in the local Islamic community? If not, then that's not really a problem. Your immediate family... again, i don't know what they're like, so i don't know what to say. If you feel that you'll be put in a situation where you'll be threatened physically, then make sure you have somewhere to go while the sparks are flying.

I feel that might as well just ask: why not keep your religion to yourself? Is your family religious, do they go to the mosque etc etc ? As far as i understand it, it's between you and God/Allah, and not anyone else. Any questions, then go on the internet, or to a Vicar. Then again, your choice.

Best of luck mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schaak)
    Nowhere in the Quran does it say that apostates should be punished by death! On the contrary, there are some verses which can prove that such a penalty is not given. For example;

This verse clearly shows that multiple, sequential apostasies are possible. That would not be possible if the person were executed after the first apostasy!

I hope I enlighted you...

With blessings and love,

The Quran doesnt explicitly states that apostasy is punishable by death. But it is based on certain Hadith. Also traditional islamic law outlines that any muslim who commits apostasy should receive the death penalty.

"Narrated Abdullah: Allah's Messenger said, "The blood of a Muslim who confesses that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that I am His Messenger, cannot be shed except in three cases: in Qisas (equality in punishment) for murder, a married person who commits illegal sexual intercourse and the one who reverts from Islam (Apostate) and leaves the Muslims."

Narrated Ikrima, "Some atheists were brought to Ali and he burnt them. The news of this event, reached Ibn Abbas who said, "If I had been in his place, I would not have burnt them, as Allah's messenger forbade it, saying, "Do not punish anybody with Allah's punishment (fire)." I would have killed them according to the statement of Allah's Messenger, "Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him."

have a read for yourself..http://www.answering-islam.org/Silas/apostasy.htm

ReputationRep:
    Personally I say the only one who has authority to take a life is the one who gives it - namely God and God alone, and He will seek His revenge, should there be one needed to be sought. It's not up to us - who are we to judge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    thought islam was all about peace and love
    Personally..i dont see it. I am no expert in Islam so perhaps some of it is all about peace and love (i have some muslim friends and they are honestly great friends) but it seems like all muslims try to spread the idea that islam is the greatest religion of all, seeking peace and tolerance and love. History proves otherwise. There has been so much (understatement of all time) bloodshed as a result of conflicts which almost always involves muslims around the world. I am an iraqi christian (assyrian) which means that somehow my family managed to survive the Assyrian genocide when Arabs invaded the midddle east killing any obstacles in their way. There was the Armenian genocide last century which my mum's family had to escape and if they hadnt they would have faced execution. Throughout history its been that way. 'You either do what i say or i kill you.' Same thing with honour killings. When the daughters disobey her family, most desirable action to be undertaken is stone her to death.

Also:
    - The Quran permits husbands to hit their wives. Sura 4:34 says:

. . . If you fear highhandedness from your wives, remind them [of the teaching of God], then ignore them when you go to bed, then hit them. If they obey you, you have no right to act against them. God is most high and great. (Haleem, emphasis added)

- The Quran allows mature men to marry and have sex with prepubescent girls. Muhammed had sex with a nine year old girl. This is the Prophet Muhammed, God's Messenger.

I am not denying that some parts do involve respect and obedience and strong faith in allah, which does have good intentions but it creates a very narrow minded mindset, very intolerant, very strict, very stubborn and so if you disobey islam and Allah, you should be punished and not much would stop a muslim to kill you for it. I dont personally call that peace.

(okay now bring on the neg reps!:rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    Message to the OP - do as you wish. Your in control of your life so don't let other peoples reactions dictate your life choices.

ReputationRep:
    Personally..i dont see it. I am no expert in Islam so perhaps some of it is all about peace and love (i have some muslim friends and they are honestly great friends) but it seems like all muslims try to spread the idea that islam is the greatest religion of all, seeking peace and tolerance and love. History proves otherwise. There has been so much (understatement of all time) bloodshed as a result of conflicts which almost always involves muslims around the world. I am an iraqi christian (assyrian) which means that somehow my family managed to survive the Assyrian genocide when Arabs invaded the midddle east killing any obstacles in their way. There was the Armenian genocide last century which my mum's family had to escape and if they hadnt they would have faced execution. Throughout history its been that way. 'You either do what i say or i kill you.' Same thing with honour killings. When the daughters disobey her family, most desirable action to be undertaken is stone her to death.

Also:

. . . If you fear highhandedness from your wives, remind them [of the teaching of God], then ignore them when you go to bed, then hit them. If they obey you, you have no right to act against them. God is most high and great. (Haleem, emphasis added)

- The Quran allows mature men to marry and have sex with prepubescent girls. Muhammed had sex with a nine year old girl. This is the Prophet Muhammed, God's Messenger.

I am not denying that some parts do involve respect and obedience and strong faith in allah, which does have good intentions but it creates a very narrow minded mindset, very intolerant, very strict, very stubborn and so if you disobey islam and Allah, you should be punished and not much would stop a muslim to kill you for it. I dont personally call that peace.

Well I guess I can never forget someone telling me how - I don't remember who it was, said that some Muslims are violent or something on those lines. Subsequently there was an uproar where Muslim protesters held up signs that says "Kill them" I find it ironic and rather amusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Well I guess I can never forget someone telling me how - I don't remember who it was, said that some Muslims are violent or something on those lines. Subsequently there was an uproar where Muslim protesters held up signs that says "Kill them" I find it ironic and rather amusing.

Its actually not THAT ironic, that was to do with the cartoons IIRC....but as its been done to death on the Debate forums those people don't necessarily represent the mjaoirty of Muslims..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    it amuses me too!! Take your pick...:rolleyes:

http://english.safe-democracy.org/media/beheadislam.jpg

http://www.acepilots.com/mt/wp-conte..._holocaust.jpg

http://www.zionism-israel.com/ezine/Isllam2.jpg

ReputationRep:
    This is a serious matter , why Catholicism.. just because your friend are doesnt mean you have to be one

ReputationRep:

Also:

I think your stupid, dont judge people cause of their religion

EY WATCH YOUR MOUTH, ARE YOU CRAZY. DONT TRY TO JUDGE THE RELEGION YOU STUPID.... SO BASICALLY YOUR SAYING YOUR RELGION IS PEACE, IRAQ HAHAHAHAH YOU MUST BE HAVING A LAUGH.. ISLAM IS ABOUT PEACE AND LOVE , YOU SHOULDN'T JUDGE ISLAM BECAUSE OF OTHER PEOPLE'S ACTION, THERE HUMAN THERE NOT PERFECT. SO MARIE WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS WE NEVER ASK YOU FOR YOUR OPINION, THATS NOTT THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD... SO READ

ReputationRep:

Care to provide a link to that? Preferably NOT from an anti-Islamic site which hosts the translation :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that kind of thing was normal back then and has nothing to do with the faith, and its in no way a 'precedent'. Infact if you go to D and D there is a thread on this and you'll see how weak and non-existent that comment is.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't supposed to become a discussion about Islam and violence :s..don't really see the connection here.

just give the boy useful advice and stop making Islam/Catholisism etc. etc. look bad, lets keep this a useful thread as possible please.

ReputationRep:
    has the op come back? if not the discussion is kind of dead really..

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems desperate to find out more. I don't think I have ever heard of someone converting from Islam to Christianity, never directly to the Catholic denomination.

ReputationRep:
    Shopping for religion eh?

Converting from islam to catholicism is a major step, but as you've spent 2 years thinking about it I guess you know what you're doing. Maybe it would be a good idea to discuss it with your family? Even if they're seriously opposed to it it would be far worse to come home one day and just spring it on them that you're a catholic.

At the end of the day it's your life and your belief system, and you should follow what you believe. If it's too impractical to convert now because of family/community issues you can always wait until you're older and wiser.

Cheers,
    Just some guy.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Lil_zak]
    SO BASICALLY YOUR SAYING YOUR RELGION IS PEACE, IRAQ HAHAHAHAH YOU MUST BE HAVING A LAUGH..
    :confused: You'll find that Iraq is not a religion. And I think chances are that there would have been a great deal more peace in Iraq if Islam didnt exist.

ISLAM IS ABOUT PEACE AND LOVE , YOU SHOULDN'T JUDGE ISLAM BECAUSE OF OTHER PEOPLE'S ACTION, THERE HUMAN THERE NOT PERFECT. SO MARIE WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS WE NEVER ASK YOU FOR YOUR OPINION, THATS NOTT THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD... SO READ
    Look some of the words in the Quran may sound peaceful but actions tend to speak louder than words. How do you want me to judge a religion if i'm not going to take into consideration the actions and attitudes of its people? Throughout history, muslims have carried their swords and caused a great deal of bloodshed. End of. Tell me one more time that it's a peaceful religion and i might have to behead you. :rolleyes:

I apologise to have started this debate in a H&R thread. I have already mentioned my thoughts and opinions to the OP. It's up to them now. I'll shut up now.

PEACE

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.