Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

State schools in England and Wales to phase out teaching Foreign languages? Watch

ReputationRep:
    They should phase out Welsh really
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It is indeed a trend and an absolute shame for this country. I can't understand why it isn't compulsory to take a foreign language to at least GCSE level which is already far less than many other European countries which require a foreign language to be learned up to the equivalent of A Level. Yet another sign of a descent into isolationism, the exact opposite way the world should be going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    The 36% you quoted was from Sky and they said it was likely to be inaccurate. The 64% is from a study by Opinium AND LSE.

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/surv...-eu-referendum
    LSE provides no special element of accuracy to the Opinium poll, other than that some Academics at LSE utilized Opinium's polling services.

The Lord Ashcroft polls however used a much larger and wider sample size, so if we still wish to debate the percentage turnout for youth voters (which I've already explained doesn't really change the final results and conclusions of youth shooting themselves sin their own foot), I would have to give them greater reliability of Opinium.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-cont...l-tables-1.pdf
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    LSE provides no special element of accuracy to the Opinium poll, other than that some Academics at LSE utilized Opinium's polling services.

The Lord Ashcroft polls however used a much larger and wider sample size, so if we still wish to debate the percentage turnout for youth voters (which I've already explained doesn't really change the final results and conclusions of youth shooting themselves sin their own foot), I would have to give them greater reliability of Opinium.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-cont...l-tables-1.pdf
    Aschroft didn't measure turnout just voting intention. Again, the 36% came from Sky, not Ashcroft.

ReputationRep:
    No, they can't do that

Even if less people are working in mainland Europe, what about other areas like South America which predominantly speaks Spanish (bar Brazil of course) and countries in Africa which speak French etc, plus we can communicate with people through the internet anyway so there will always be a need to learn foreign languages.

At my school, when I went through Year 7-9, we learnt French and either German or Spanish, now, they can only pick 1 at all. That annoys me because I picked 2 languages for GCSE so I think it's a shame because there may be people like me in the future who only enjoy or are only good at languages, but they won't be able to.

Our country is just stupid....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IKEAPanda37)
    No, they can't do that

Even if less people are working in mainland Europe, what about other areas like South America which predominantly speaks Spanish (bar Brazil of course) and countries in Africa which speak French etc, plus we can communicate with people through the internet anyway so there will always be a need to learn foreign languages.

At my school, when I went through Year 7-9, we learnt French and either German or Spanish, now, they can only pick 1 at all. That annoys me because I picked 2 languages for GCSE so I think it's a shame because there may be people like me in the future who only enjoy or are only good at languages, but they won't be able to.

Our country is just stupid....
    I completely agree. I take French and German at A-level, and my German teacher was telling me that due to the government making it now mandatory from the 2015 year 7 intake that our school doesn't have the teachers or facilities to warrant double languages anymore which makes me really sad but hey at least it's mandatory to take a language at GCSE again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calm98)
    I completely agree. I take French and German at A-level, and my German teacher was telling me that due to the government making it now mandatory from the 2015 year 7 intake that our school doesn't have the teachers or facilities to warrant double languages anymore which makes me really sad but hey at least it's mandatory to take a language at GCSE again
    I know, it is a real shame But yeah, hopefully making it mandatory again may help

You're very lucky that you can do French and German at A-level, I was considering doing both French and Spanish but my French/Spanish teacher advised against it, plus my school made it impossible for me anyway, as on taster days, they put both on at the same time.....and it just wasn't possible to do both in the end
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Drewski)
    If we were serious about teaching languages we wouldn't wait till pupils were 11, they'd start at 5. Our efforts to teach it have never been more than lip service, so it's no real loss.
    I did...

But anyway OP, it's a shame but as it was some schools were struggling to get the teachers and at other schools not enough students are willing to continue it to GCSE to warrant teaching it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesManc)
    They should phase out Welsh really
    In a country which is officially bilingual and where there is clearly an advantage in recruitment to many public sector jobs in having Welsh, you think those without the foresight to choose something that is undoubtedly career enhancing, should just be left to stew?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IKEAPanda37)
    I know, it is a real shame But yeah, hopefully making it mandatory again may help

You're very lucky that you can do French and German at A-level, I was considering doing both French and Spanish but my French/Spanish teacher advised against it, plus my school made it impossible for me anyway, as on taster days, they put both on at the same time.....and it just wasn't possible to do both in the end
    I know, I was told when picking my GCSEs that I wouldn't cope with both languages due to workload but now I've gotten halfway through A-level and I'm doing fine. My German teacher has also said that the school is on about replacing German with Spanish which makes me mad af because in my school German is generally more popular at GCSE and A-level than French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    In a country which is officially bilingual and where there is clearly an advantage in recruitment to many public sector jobs in having Welsh, you think those without the foresight to choose something that is undoubtedly career enhancing, should just be left to stew?
    Only the small number of Welsh speakers in the North would like you to think it's a billingual country. Pretty much every student I know who either studies or studied in Wales say it was a waste of time. You just don't need it unless you want a convo with someone who also speaks fluent English, Makes no sense. It is not career enhancing unless you want to stay in a small welsh town in the North of Wales and work in the local shop for the rest of your life.

Btw there isn't a debate, it's a fact, get over it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    I've just heard on local radio that some secondary schools in England and Wales are to gradually cease the teaching of foreign languages like French, German and Spanish, because with leaving the EU fewer people will be able to work or live in the EU after leaving school.

They said that "the teaching of French and German in comprehensive schools only took off when Britain joined the EEC in the 1970s, before then only public schools taught languages. Spanish wasn't taken up until the mid 1980s when Spain joined the EU". Many young people will no longer consider living or working in mainland Europe post Brexit and Education budgets would be better spent on more useful teaching.
    Language teachers will be given free retraining in other subjects such as Maths or Science".

I think this is a rotten shame to deny children the chance to learn a language. I learned French at school from aged 10 and really enjoyed it. Its so sad that we are becoming a little inward looking England cutting our ties from the outside world.

What lessons are they going to replace languages with? And what if language teachers don't want to be retrained to teach other subjects? After all teaching languages was their passion.
    What's stopping people's parents from teaching their children a second language at home or taking a language GCSE privately?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    What's stopping people's parents from teaching their children a second language at home or taking a language GCSE privately?
    To be fair there is excellent apps for this now for a few quid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    To be fair there is excellent apps for this now for a few quid

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do they think parents of ethnic minorities do? We've all seen how many people in the UK of asian origin even if they were born in Britain can probably all speak Urdu, Gujarati, Hindi, Arabic etc alongside english. How many eastern europeans do we have who can speak Polish aswell as english? None of the above mentioned languages are offered as GCSE's in most schools of the UK to my knowledge yet you hear these languages being spoken everyday in Britain and even on TSR entire threads in Hindi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian Bartlett)
    Only the small number of Welsh speakers in the North would like you to think it's a billingual country. Pretty much every student I know who either studies or studied in Wales say it was a waste of time. You just don't need it unless you want a convo with someone who also speaks fluent English, Makes no sense. It is not career enhancing unless you want to stay in a small welsh town in the North of Wales and work in the local shop for the rest of your life.

Multi-lingual country would be more accurate as some people speak Welsh as their first language, the same applies to Scotland due to the Gaelic speaking areas of the Hebrides.

What nulli tertius is saying is correct, knowledge of Welsh is expected when working in some sectors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    What do they think parents of ethnic minorities do? We've all seen how many people in the UK of asian origin even if they were born in Britain can probably all speak Urdu, Gujarati, Hindi, Arabic etc alongside english. How many eastern europeans do we have who can speak Polish aswell as english? None of the above mentioned languages are offered as GCSE's in most schools of the UK to my knowledge yet you hear these languages being spoken everyday in Britain and even on TSR entire threads in Hindi
    Polish and Portuguese are offered at GCSE and A-level two of my friends have taken them through school and I'm always put in the same hall with the kids sitting the Polish/Portuguese exams when I sit my French and German exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calm98)
    Polish and Portuguese are offered at GCSE and A-level two of my friends have taken them through school and I'm always put in the same hall with the kids sitting the Polish/Portuguese exams when I sit my French and German exams.
    Hence why I said 'most schools' not 'all schools'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian Bartlett)

Really.

Here is a job for a play delivery officer in Newport.

https://jobs.newport.gov.uk/itlive_w...800AE&LANG=USA

No-one speaks Welsh in Newport. Indeed, in living memory Newport was in England.

Yet fluent Welsh is required for the job.

The same is true for a stack of public sector jobs in Wales.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.