Turn on thread page Beta

MHoC By-Election: Voting watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be elected as an MP in seat 46?
    JoeL1994
    45.28%
    Nigel Farage MEP
    19.81%
    BenC1997
    32.08%
    (Spoilt ballot)
    2.83%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    Indeed, however having looked at "Talk to Frank" and other websites (perhaps it has been downgraded on here?) it appears LSD is a Class A drug - so it being banned doesn't really go against my beliefs stated in this thread and in the manifesto.
    It effectively bans all psychoactives - not all of which are class A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It effectively bans all psychoactives - not all of which are class A.
    My reasoning behind supporting the bill is essentially this:

Do I want LSD, or indeed any psychoactive drug, to be banned? No, I am in favour of drug liberalisation, I would rather they were not banned.

Do I want more research done into the effects, including possible health benefits, of psychoactive drugs? Most certainly, yes.

Thus, I see it as agreeable that I compromise with the former (my wish not to ban the drug) in the short term, in order to have both of my wishes (hopefully) realised in the long run.

ReputationRep:

Do I want LSD, or indeed any psychoactive drug, to be banned? No, I am in favour of drug liberalisation, I would rather they were not banned.

Do I want more research done into the effects, including possible health benefits, of psychoactive drugs? Most certainly, yes.

Thus, I see it as agreeable that I compromise with the former (my wish not to ban the drug) in the short term, in order to have both of my wishes (hopefully) realised in the long run.
    Surely as the Government candidate you must have known that the legislation was going to the house when the by-election manifesto was written, so why include it in your manifesto at all? Especially when you are now essentially saying you will vote against what you claim to support. It is possible to conduct research without banning the drugs, which makes it seem less like a compromise and more like a party/government line being put forward to save face.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

You're either in denial or are being duped by the Tories. You don't need to ban a drug to allow scientific research and the very liberal legislation that the government is now sneakily trying to repeal included provision for research. Did you read either bill? Because nothing you've said is reason for you to support B1025.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Surely as the Government candidate you must have known that the legislation was going to the house when the by-election manifesto was written, so why include it in your manifesto at all? Especially when you are now essentially saying you will vote against what you claim to support. It is possible to conduct research without banning the drugs, which makes it seem less like a compromise and more like a party/government line being put forward to save face.
    Indeed, and as I mentioned the original bill included specific provision for scientific research so to say 'we got to ban it so we can study it' sounds like he hasn't read the original bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    It is possible to conduct research without banning the drugs.
    Indeed, yes you make a good point here, which I agree with.

I shall admit it was a poor oversight of me not to raise this point in the sub forum, for which I do apologise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Indeed, and as I mentioned the original bill included specific provision for scientific research so to say 'we got to ban it so we can study it' sounds like he hasn't read the original bill.
    The way I saw it, all the studying /research should be done prior to decriminalisation.

Also, please see my above post.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The way I saw it, all the studying /research should be done prior to decriminalisation.

Also, please see my above post.
    The two posts seem to contradict each other but I'll accept the sentiments in the one above under the assumption that should you win the seat you'll vote against the bill.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    For those who want an exit poll there can still be one of those:
    BenC1997: 37
    JoeL1994: 56
    Nigel Farage MEP: 22
    Spoilt ballot: 3

I, Saracen's Fez, returning officer for the by-election in seat 46, hereby declare that the number of votes cast for each candidate is as follows:
    BenC1997, TSR Liberal Party (also endorsed by the TSR Conservative Party): 34
    JoeL1994, TSR Labour Party: 48
    Nigel Faarage MEP, TSR UK Independence Party: 21

3 ballots were spoilt.

I hereby declare that JoeL1994 is duly elected the member of parliament for seat 46.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Trend graph:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.