Turn on thread page Beta

Which national daily newspaper is best? watch

• View Poll Results: Which is the best national daily newspaper?
    The Daily Telegraph
    14.29%
    The Guardian
    26.79%
    The Times
    26.79%
    The Independant
    15.48%
    The Financial Times
    2.98%
    The Daily Mail
    5.36%
    The Daily Express
    0.60%
    The Sun
    1.19%
    The Mirror
    2.98%
    The Daily Star
    0%
    The Daily Sport
    0%
    Other
    1.19%
    I don't read a newspaper
    2.38%

ReputationRep:
    Which one has Page 3? I want to know before I cast my vote :P

ReputationRep:
    They all have a page three.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    I am sure most of them could be condensed into 2 pages and stil lsay the same thing tho.

ReputationRep:
    Which one has Page 3? I want to know before I cast my vote :P
    It was always the Daily Star, then the Sun started doing it, but the Sun birds are hangin. Never seen the attraction in page 3 anyway, the internet is a cornucopia of far higher quality/more pervasive smut for consumption.

Just get a P2P file sharing thing, type in somthing vulgar, and download the first 30 results.

EDIT: I cant beleive the bloody Guardian is winning. Its kind of strange really, its a progressive newspaper with a very conservative name.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not that surprising, Consie, when you consider how few options the left have.

ReputationRep:
    shouldnt they all be reading the New Statesman anyway?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...statesmini.jpg

Look at that, African exploitation and John Pilger all one on page, enough to make Reds everywhere orgasm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by City bound)
    Well it's not that surprising, Consie, when you consider how few options the left have.
    Exactly. Despite the flaws of The Guardian, it strikes the closest chord with those upon the wide spectrum of the 'left'. One thing that cannot be denied is that the majority of papers in this country cater for those on the 'right'.

God, I hate the terms 'left wing' and 'right wing', they're utterly meaningless in this day and age.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think they are really. I dont really agree most cater for the right. The one which is the staple as far as ive seen on e.g. the tubes in london, is the Times. Despite it being owned by Murdoch (dun dun dunnn) i dont see it as right wing at all, i see it as centre. I dont know what the deal with the Observer in relation to the Gaurdian is, but you've got those 2 and the Independant. The only proper centre right broadsheet is the Telegraph. If anything, the right wingers have fewer choices. This is discounting tabloids. Theyre usually not right wing or left wing, they're just hate based lol, its not so much the issue in those papers, its who to blame for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    I dont think they are really. I dont really agree most cater for the right. The one which is the staple as far as ive seen on e.g. the tubes in london, is the Times. Despite it being owned by Murdoch (dun dun dunnn) i dont see it as right wing at all, i see it as centre. I dont know what the deal with the Observer in relation to the Gaurdian is, but you've got those 2 and the Independant. The only proper centre right broadsheet is the Telegraph. If anything, the right wingers have fewer choices. This is discounting tabloids. Theyre usually not right wing or left wing, they're just hate based lol, its not so much the issue in those papers, its who to blame for it.
    The Guardian's spelling errors spread themselves throughout the Internet....

But what about The Daily Express and The Daily Mail? The Daily Mail is the organ of that mysterious body that is known as Middle England, and The Daily Express is basically engaged in a constant game of one-uppery with Mr Dacre's finest. The Sun is the biggest selling newspaper in Britain, and supported the Tories for many years, and still advocate many 'right-wing' policies, despite its official support of Labour(For now).

Those two papers alone sell more than all of the broadsheets combined, so more people will get their political views upon what they read in those two papers. They're just as valid as the broadsheets IMO(Yes, even the tabloids), although their opinions are generally less researched and more polemic in many cases.

And then you have The Times and the Daily Telegraph, as you mentioned. However, I would class The Times as a fairly right leaning newspaper, just more moderate about it than its contemporaries. Financial Times is centre wing(paradox) so I won't count that.

By my count, that's five 'right wing', and with The Guardian, The Independent and The Daily Mirror, three 'left wing' newspapers in this country(I don't count The Observer as it's basically a Sunday Guardian in all but name). Not only is the 'left wing' press outnumbered by the 'right wing' press, the latter sells a fair bit more than the former, hence my belief that the British media is predominantly on the 'right'.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who reads the independent must actually be an idiot - they spread misinformation like it's going out of fashion, especially with regard to science - there's nothing wrong with being moralistic in exploitation of science, but lying to score points is cheap and indicative of the sloppy brand of journalism they indulge in.

Also, despite being a Tory, I really dont like the Telegraph - it's too focused on religion and its perspective in my opinion, which being an athiest means **** all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    Anyone who reads the independent must actually be an idiot - they spread misinformation like it's going out of fashion, especially with regard to science - there's nothing wrong with being moralistic in exploitation of science, but lying to score points is cheap and indicative of the sloppy brand of journalism they indulge in.
    As I've said previously in the thread, The Independent has taken a massive downturn over the past several years; it's almost a different paper nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Mail and Express arent Broadsheets, i was limiting my argument to that, including them is a whole different bag. While the Sun might be right wing in regard to immigrants or something, it usually loves ****ging off the priviliaged. I dont think it has a 'pro free market' or 'social liberal' or whatever set of ideas backing it, it just looks for things to **** off. Whilst the broadsheets may not be based around a set of ideas either, they generally arent focused on the blame game. The FT isnt that political really, plus even now the majority of it is business focused.

If we're opening it up, you cant discount the mammoth that is the BBC, which blitzes all these papers as sources of information simply though their website, nevermind their news bulletins. I think everyone agrees that's left wing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiom)
    As I've said previously in the thread, The Independent has taken a massive downturn over the past several years; it's almost a different paper nowadays.
    Not really - it's campaign over cannabis is a fantastic example of this:

When it originally presented the information on which is based the argument that it should be legalised as it did not pose a health threat, it selectively vetted the data to decrease the probability of a negative impact.

When it recently reversed its position it did a very similar thing with the reverse consequence of excessively increasing the probability of there being a negative effect: http://www.badscience.net/?p=389

They probably have got worse, but they were never good - the paper really is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably still The Times for me, although I agree that it has really gone downhill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    They probably have got worse, but they were never good - the paper really is a joke.
    Wrong. Back in the mid 1980s when the newspaper was established, and for at least 15 or so years afterwards, the paper managed, with a great degree of success, to report the news without putting its own slant upon the news, leaving it to the editorials; which were generally of a very high standard. Just before its re-design, and at an ever-increasing pace, the paper has slid down a slippery slope towards polemics and evangelising views, not news. It sickens me, as I thoroughly enjoyed the newspaper once upon a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    You cant beat papers that are times new roman everything. The Wall Stret Journal still has a layout similar to a real old school paper.

I still wish papers were like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...11-11-1918.jpg

I still wish news was like that. You dont get many Kasiers being ousted nowadays, its bloody climate change and measuring the 'carbon footprint' of everything in site. Carbon Footprint is one of the most annoying buzzwords around.
    See, I like these headlines:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/26247

ReputationRep:
    No suprise the Guardian is winning here since the majority of TSR members are stuck up lefties.

ReputationRep:
    You're late.

Although The Guardian's policy of giving away its newspapers free with bags of lentils and boxes of muesli must be having some positive effect on its sales.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone ever wonder that it must take more effort to put a political slant on something than simply reporting the facts? Fair enough, subconciously choosing the wrong adjective can sway the whole tone of the article, but it seems to be its easier to be objective than subjective, especially when the AP is supplying you with mountains of information, its not as if you only have access to one side of the story.

This is why its bad the newspaper market is pretty much an oligopoly. I'd wager a lot of people would rather the lead stories of the day be reported factually and then, perhaps somewhere else in the paper, have analysis on them. But becasue the paper folk have such price making ability, they just tell people what they like and they buy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiom)
    Wrong. Back in the mid 1980s when the newspaper was established, and for at least 15 or so years afterwards, the paper managed, with a great degree of success, to report the news without putting its own slant upon the news, leaving it to the editorials; which were generally of a very high standard. Just before its re-design, and at an ever-increasing pace, the paper has slid down a slippery slope towards polemics and evangelising views, not news. It sickens me, as I thoroughly enjoyed the newspaper once upon a time.
    I was talking more in recent history, i.e., the last 10 years - its stance has certainly been hypocritical and its ethics towards reporting un-truths lacking in that period. considering it is only 21 years old that obviously shows a slight conflict in our perspectives.

Regardless, if we can both agree that it's junk now that's what matters!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.