Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people have a problem with wolf whistling watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    For starters I would not wolf whistle, i were in the workplace, and even If i were to be caught I would simply apologize and move on.
    Interesting that you say that, but I never said anything about whistling at a random stranger on the street.
    If I was in the a social setting, and I broke the social barriers I would wolf whistle.
    Social norms can sometimes be seen as a fallacy when each generation have introduced a wave of social norms that would be considered self destructive and narcissistic.
    No self respecting woman would wear next to nothing and see that as female empowerment
    Again I have wolf whistled at women who have seen it as harmless banter.
    1. The first sentence doesn't make a lot of sense.
    2. The social norm against wolf whistling is still pretty strong.
    3. Women don't wear next to nothing for female empowerment. They simply wear next to nothing because they want to, unbelievable as that may be for you.
    4. Who have you wolf whistled at, strangers or friends/ acquaintances? That is important.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    For starters I would not wolf whistle, i were in the workplace, and even If i were to be caught I would simply apologize and move on.
    An apology wont always suffice.
    If you dont do it at all, then there would be nothing to catch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    1. The first sentence doesn't make a lot of sense.

2. The social norm against wolf whistling is still pretty strong.

3. Women don't wear next to nothing for female empowerment. They simply wear next to nothing because they want to, unbelievable as that may be for you.

4. Who have you wolf whistled at, strangers or friends/ acquaintances? That is important.

I have whistled at acquaintances and at a work colleague.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    It makes me feel so uncomfortable
    (Original post by saraxh)
    Some girls might like the attention but most don't. Tbh It just makes me feel self conscious.
    I sometimes wonder what it's like not to feel uncomfortable and self conscious by default.*

ReputationRep:
    I have whistled at acquaintances and at a work colleague.
    Well there we are. There's nothing wrong with that, unless you had reason to believe she wouldn't take kindly to being wolf-whistled at, and did it anyway.

What women do not like, is to have a random passing stranger wolf whistle at them. If a work colleague did it, I'd probably find it funny, if a stranger did it as he walked passed I'd be annoyed, to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    It's very uncomfortable. Knowing some man is staring you down while walking past. I wouldn't even know how to respond to that… if you smile you look like an attention whore if you get pissed you'll be portrayed as a *****y girl. If nothing happens after the whistle then there was no point on doing that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I am not trying to police in how certain women dresss, as most women know how to dress respectively, but please understand my point.
    It is easy to belive in what youre saying but an example of truth is that I cannot walk through certain parts of london with my valuables on me.
    With reason being I could attract unwanted attention, hence in why people cannot dress certain way in public
    It has nothing to do with what a woman wears. I've been wolf whistled at whilst wear jeans and a jumper FFS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It has nothing to do with what a woman wears. I've been wolf whistled at whilst wear jeans and a jumper FFS.
    I don't think he's suggesting jeans and jumpers are some kind of wolf whistling forcefield.

ReputationRep:
    *Check your privilege* :flute:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.