Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dapperblook22)
    I think the C3 boundary will drop, as many people found the exam on the whole to be much more challenging than the previous year. I think the general consensus in the C3 thread was 53 - 55 for an A (can't remember too well). C4 was quite standard however, so probably remaining the same if not close to last year.
    53-55?
    keep dreaming lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    53-55?
    keep dreaming lmao
    Last year it was 57, and many students agreed the paper was far more challenging with many missing out questions altogether. Just look at the petition which gained over 9200 signatures, so it wouldn't be surprising if 55 is an A or 53 at the lowest.

ReputationRep:
    I really pray that the Edexcel Maths grade boundaries do not sheg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dapperblook22)
    Last year it was 57, and many students agreed the paper was far more challenging with many missing out questions altogether. Just look at the petition which gained over 9000 signatures, so it wouldn't be surprising if 55 is an A or 53 at the lowest.
    wait ur talking about aqa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    wait ur talking about aqa?
    yes AQA, that is what the person asked for when I replied to them

ReputationRep:
    edexcel maths is by far the most unpredictable! Last year for AS i screamed in delight when i saw them, who knows what will happen this year

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain the new policy on remarks? Read in the news remarks are now only allowed in special circumstances and if there is a huge error? How would this be decided?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    last year it was midnight the day before results day so that means it should be up in less than 12 hours
    Yeah they're released on midnight!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So in a few hours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellefrancessa)
    Can anyone explain the new policy on remarks? Read in the news remarks are now only allowed in special circumstances and if there is a huge error? How would this be decided?
    Remarks have changed so that only if a mistake has been made in the marking by the original examiner then the mark can change. If they think marks should have been awarded (like a matter of opinion or difference in interpretation of a candidates work) then marks are no longer awarded it MUST be a genuine glaringly obvious mistake in the marking to change the amount of marks. This is to stop so-called "sympathy" marks from being awarded by examiners which really does give some candidates an unfair advantage year on year.

ANY candidate can still challenge the marking of their paper, the number of marks is just very unlikely to change from now on

This explains it better: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...llenge-results

ReputationRep:
    May the grade boundaries be ever in your favour

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by L33t)
    Remarks have changed so that only if a mistake has been made in the marking by the original examiner then the mark can change. If they think marks should have been awarded (like a matter of opinion or difference in interpretation of a candidates work) then marks are no longer awarded it MUST be a genuine glaringly obvious mistake in the marking to change the amount of marks. This is to stop so-called "sympathy" marks from being awarded by examiners which really does give some candidates an unfair advantage year on year.

ANY candidate can still challenge the marking of their paper, the number of marks is just very unlikely to change from now on

This explains it better: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...llenge-results
    I understand why it can be unfair, but when it comes to humanities subjects, what if your marker has little knowledge about your subject? (E.g, a teacher of modern history, with little knowledge of early modern history, marks my papers which all focus around early modern history) and so marks it down because they stick to just what's on the teacher advice paper, to make up for their lack of knowledge? Despite the teacher advice document (I can't remember the official name) just being a general outline as to what could be included, but anything logical and that can be argued - and backed up with evidence - is worthy of marks. Therefore, if I got a surprisingly low grade, knowing full well my essays should have gotten higher, it won't be able to get the marks it deserves? Just because I, or another, got unlucky with my examiner!?

Humanities/arts subjects are basically largely, and mostly, interpretation. So I feel as if they should be given the 'benefit of the doubt' because of how general, and subjective, they are.

ReputationRep:
    Aqa - tomorrow 9:30am
    OCR - tomorrow (8am latest)
    Edexcel - no time specified just the 'day before results day onwards'
    I got this info from their twitter pages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elephants_)
    Aqa is 8am tomorrow, or so the website claims. Their Twitter claims otherwise.....?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    I understand why it can be unfair, but when it comes to humanities subjects, what if your marker has little knowledge about your subject? (E.g, a teacher of modern history, with little knowledge of early modern history, marks my papers which all focus around early modern history) and so marks it down because they stick to just what's on the teacher advice paper, to make up for their lack of knowledge? Despite the teacher advice document (I can't remember the official name) just being a general outline as to what could be included, but anything logical and that can be argued - and backed up with evidence - is worthy of marks. Therefore, if I got a surprisingly low grade, knowing full well my essays should have gotten higher, it won't be able to get the marks it deserves? Just because I, or another, got unlucky with my examiner!?

Humanities/arts subjects are basically largely, and mostly, interpretation. So I feel as if they should be given the 'benefit of the doubt' because of how general, and subjective, they are.
    I did English Language A-Level last year and everyone else in the class (except me) got a remark. NONE of the papers came back higher infact 3 of the papers came back with lower marks, a similar case happened at AS-Level too. ANYONE who marks exam scripts in any subject has to go through a very stringent set of tests on their marking before every script marking session begins, and almost all examiners are teachers in their subject if not a very similar one (my A-Level chem teacher marked physics papers in order to avoid marking her own students' work for example). Samples of their initial marking goes to the team leader to be scrutinised and anyone awarding less or more marks than they should be ends up being chucked off the team for that season. It is a very fair system as it was except for the remarks- simple as. Now students will no longer be able to "wing it" to get the next grade up by submitting for a remark which is unfair on those who made the grade genuinely and not by paying £50 per script. Sorry just my opinion, and i'm entitled to it!

I think it's perfectly fair and this comes from someone who has sat science and humanities A-Levels.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by L33t)
    I did English Language A-Level last year and everyone else in the class (except me) got a remark. NONE of the papers came back higher infact 3 of the papers came back with lower marks, a similar case happened at AS-Level too. ANYONE who marks exam scripts in any subject has to go through a very stringent set of tests on their marking before every script marking session begins, and almost all examiners are teachers in their subject if not a very similar one (my A-Level chem teacher marked physics papers in order to avoid marking her own students' work for example). Samples of their initial marking goes to the team leader to be scrutinised and anyone awarding less or more marks than they should be ends up being chucked off the team for that season. It is a very fair system as it was except for the remarks- simple as. Now students will no longer be able to "wing it" to get the next grade up by submitting for a remark which is unfair on those who made the grade genuinely and not by paying £50 per script. Sorry just my opinion, and i'm entitled to it!

I think it's perfectly fair and this come from someone who has sat science and humanities A-Levels.
    Thank you very much! Your answer made me feel a bit more assured about the reforms, thanks for explaining the process as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Thank you very much! Your answer made me feel a bit more assured about the reforms, thanks for explaining the process as well
    No problem, it is a very misunderstood process despite the tens of thousands of students who sit the exams every year
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by L33t)
    No problem, it is a very misunderstood process despite the tens of thousands of students who sit the exams every year
    Definitely! I think we should all be given a short brief about it, to be honest. I find most of my info about academic marking processes, exam processes etc from TSR - I think colleges should set a few minutes aside near exam season to quickly go through a few things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -jordan-)
    Yes, it's annoying but as it has been said they've finally scrapped the ISAs. Just unlucky it wasn't this year. Although, the difference in UMS between the grades is pretty small. As long as you get a high C then getting an A overall between the two exams is accessible. I thought the SHM ISA this year varied off the syllabus quite a bit, it was a tough one. Very sad that the boundary is unlikely to change much.
    In OCR A2 biology 33/40 raw marks is 45 UMS where the maximum is 60 UMS, so coursework marks have a huge effect on your overall grade, since every mark is worth about 3 or so UMS. So many people in my school cheated and in other schools, and I personally didn't which I kind of regret now since the difference between my friend who cheated and myself, was an entire grade overall in AS, even though we got very similar marks for the exam components. In GCSE all my exams were As or A*s but since my teachers did not care enough to help us or mark it properly, my grades for many subjects were brought down significantly. I wish they scrapped coursework a long time ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elephants_)
    Edexcel should be in approximately 4 hours (at 00:00 Wednesday 17th August). Their website updates automatically.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.