Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Several beautiful, talented, actresses have chosen Cambridge:

Emma Thompson
    Louise Lombard

Then there is the model Lily Cole who has chosen to go to Cambridge too.

Perhaps the proximity to London is part of the attraction as well as Cambridge's more famous acting society (the Footlights).

ReputationRep:
    I like the way you left Lily Cole out of the beautiful section - good call

ReputationRep:
    Do you think she'll apply to the best known ones? Like Trinity?
    Hopefully she'll do what Hermione would - read the prospectus thoroughly, come and visit the place, and make a reasoned decision.

(Original post by mwiko)
    People don't really care if something is unfounded or not if it makes them appear/feel better..
    Unfortunately this is too often the case, today.

I see no reason why she should not apply. Her GCSEs are strong, and if she wants to apply then that is completely her choice. All we can hope is that the admissions tutors are objective in their decision. Dismissing the tutor's decision and forwarding one's own opinion achieves nothing; they will make the decision based on far more evidence than any of us has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    4) as i said, if it boosted their reputation then it is harsh but i can still see it happening (i.e picking watson over a student they would generally want) - its for THEIR OWN GOOD (IF it boosts their reputation).
    Eh? How would letting Emma Watson in (Assuming she did not perform sufficiently, academically) benefit the reputation of Cambridge in the least? It's a university founded on acedemic brilliance and elitism - not on second-rate teen actresses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurk)
    Eh? How would letting Emma Watson in (Assuming she did not perform sufficiently, academically) benefit the reputation of Cambridge in the least? It's a university founded on acedemic brilliance and elitism - not on second-rate teen actresses.
    As I said the more famous people they have the better it is for their reputation.

But your are right - it prob wont make much difference for the academics - I am just talking general people who know fairly little about Oxbridge and Unis.

I never said they should ever let her in if she didn't perform sufficiently - I am sure they would be in for it if people foubd out they let her in if she didnt cut the grades they normally ask for.

ReputationRep:
    I like the way you left Lily Cole out of the beautiful section - good call
    No, I left her out because she is primarily a model (although I just realised that she is due to appear in the St Trinians film). I think that Lily Cole is very beautiful. Sadly, I guess that her flawless doll-like complexion has probably made her a target of jealousy.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, hope your not implying I am jealous of looking like a girl who looks just like a doll :rolleyes:

I dont wanna look like a doll, nor a girl for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    http://data1.blog.de/blog/b/belladon...ole-mainv2.jpg

I'm not so sure myself, the above picture kinda scared me more than anything, lol. It must be the eye make-up... >_>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flash6289)
    http://data1.blog.de/blog/b/belladon...ole-mainv2.jpg

I'm not so sure myself, the above picture kinda scared me more than anything, lol. It must be the eye make-up... >_>
    Or the "über-photoshopped" appearance. Some crazy airbrushing been going on there...

ReputationRep:
    As I said the more famous people they have the better it is for their reputation.

But your are right - it prob wont make much difference for the academics - I am just talking general people who know fairly little about Oxbridge and Unis.

I never said they should ever let her in if she didn't perform sufficiently - I am sure they would be in for it if people foubd out they let her in if she didnt cut the grades they normally ask for.
    Yea. Right. Because the people whose uni choices are influenced by which D-list celebrity goes to that uni are just the type of people that Cambridge is trying to attract! And Cambridge is world-famous, far more so than Emma Watson. (I imagine most people know her simply as 'Hermione' anyway, so that wouldn't be much use)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurk)
    Yea. Right. Because the people whose uni choices are influenced by which D-list celebrity goes to that uni are just the type of people that Cambridge is trying to attract! And Cambridge is world-famous, far more so than Emma Watson. (I imagine most people know her simply as 'Hermione' anyway, so that wouldn't be much use)
    Calm down - I am goign on the theory that the more well known people that went there the better

I've said like 4 times I am I am not on about the serious hardcore academic types

And I think maybe one or two people would be attracted by the fact someone famous went there (case in point many smaller/less prestigious Unis have it as a selling point) - obviously that doesnt matter much in the case of cambridge where far mroe important people went anyway.

I am sure Cambridge attracts a fair number of idiots who would find this kind of thing interesting (who are good academically) infact I know, having met some and talking to a few on here.

ReputationRep:
    I've said like 4 times I am I am not on about the serious hardcore academic types.
    Which happen to be the only 'types' Cambridge gives a toss about the opinions of... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Which happen to be the only 'types' Cambridge gives a toss about the opinions of... :rolleyes:
    but theyre not the only types that apply (in the sense they prob dont spend ages reading and researching the Unis like people do on here) - so having laods of famous alumini will be of interest to many applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Calm down - I am goign on the theory that the more well known people that went there the better

I've said like 4 times I am I am not on about the serious hardcore academic types

And I think maybe one or two people would be attracted by the fact someone famous went there (case in point many smaller/less prestigious Unis have it as a selling point) - obviously that doesnt matter much in the case of cambridge where far mroe important people went anyway.

I am sure Cambridge attracts a fair number of idiots who would find this kind of thing interesting (who are good academically) infact I know, having met some and talking to a few on here.
    Please. Cambridge has been the breeding ground for an innumerable number of famous, world-changing individuals - With hundreds of years worth of prestigious alumni and ground-breaking discoveries, do you really think Emma Watson could provide more of a pull than the likes of Isaac Newton, Stephen Hawking, or Christopher Marlowe?

It is not just, as you so aptly put it, "serious hardcore academic types" to this should apply, but the majority.

For those for whom Emma Watson is more of an influence, than this astounding history of brilliance, they are clearly shallow individuals who pay more attention to celebrity gossip columns than anything else and certainly do not constitute the crème de la crème of British (and international) intellectual society.

ReputationRep:
    as the saying goes 'the more the better'

and yes some people who go to cambridge no doubt read gossip columns - and also not forgetting Watson would be the most famous recent attendee.

finally, i'll wager a fair number of current students at cambridge dont know much about the 3 people you mentioned. i am not disagreeing they all override peoplel ike watson but for some people seeing that cambridge has recent famous people could be an added bonus.

ReputationRep:
    Can this argument please end.

If Emma Watson gets in, it will be despite her celebrity status. It doesn't matter whether that celebrity status then proves favorable to the college that accepts her - it is probably true that some people may then choose to apply to that college just because she is there, it would be a pretty daft reason to choose that college, but then again college choice isn't always that sensible anyway and is often done on "feel" for the college. Either way her celebrity status will not affect anyone's chances of getting in, and the prestige of Cambridge will remain as it was.

ReputationRep:
    ^ I agree

It was of interest enough to start a thread on it.

ReputationRep:
    but theyre not the only types that apply (in the sense they prob dont spend ages reading and researching the Unis like people do on here) - so having laods of famous alumini will be of interest to many applicants.
    No but they're quite possibly the 10% (or how every many it was) of applicants that don't get interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    No but they're quite possibly the 10% that don't get interviews.
    Possibly.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.