Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to the OP - this is getting off-topic.
    no problemo, still a useful read. so i was hoping to see more people saying 'no they don't really care about GCSEs' but a lot seem to go for the other :ninja: maybe i should turn this into a poll.

ReputationRep:
    do any of you know if there's any difference between GCSEs and IGCSEs (as in which one do unis recognize more)?? because i've taken IGCSEs two years ago, got 5As 3A*s. is this result good enough to apply for Cambridge or LSE or Durham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anthropologist)
    Yes, that's very true for subjects like History and English, few if any get accepted with anything under 6A*s at GCSE.
    not to be rude to your comment, that is really not true about few if any getting accepted on degrees such a engish or history with less than 6 A*'s

I got decent gcses, not quite 6 a*'s (haa actually 1) and I aplied to top 10 uni's such as warwick and nottingham (accepted to both).
    I accept that yes the top universities do have some policy over gcse grades for certain degrees, i.e notytingham were pretty specific, however 6a*'s is over the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pj1623)
    do any of you know if there's any difference between GCSEs and IGCSEs (as in which one do unis recognize more)?? because i've taken IGCSEs two years ago, got 5As 3A*s. is this result good enough to apply for Cambridge or LSE or Durham?
    Yes those results are fine for all, there are more than GCSEs in an application so dont worry about them too much. Apply where you want to go, simple as that. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that Economics at LSE is a difficult course to get into, but does anybody know how hard it is for Government and Economics?
    I'm waiting for my GCSE results atm and I doubt that I'll be getting 10A*s...maybe half the amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeepsneep)
    I've heard that Economics at LSE is a difficult course to get into, but does anybody know how hard it is for Government and Economics?
    I'm waiting for my GCSE results atm and I doubt that I'll be getting 10A*s...maybe half the amount.
    Gov and Economics is a hard course to get in to as well. As already said though, dont let a few B grades at GCSE put you off despite what people on here might say. Even though LSE definately do look closely at GCSEs if you have 5A*s and a handful of As as well, paired with a great personal statement and some good AS levels then you stand as good a chance as anybody

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    but I don't see what doing D of E, playing a sport or playing an instrument has to do with anything.

Sorry, didn't think that was going to be so long!

unless you're doing a music degree

ReputationRep:
    I guess that it all depends on whether you go to a public or a state school as well... If you go to a top public school (Eton, Harrow etc.) then I don't think that universities would be best pleased if you apply with poor GCSE grades when you have had a really good education, (and the likelihood is that both of your parents (and their parents etc.) went to university as well!)

(Original post by coopertjl)
    I guess that it all depends on whether you go to a public or a state school as well... If you go to a top public school (Eton, Harrow etc.) then I don't think that universities would be best pleased if you apply with poor GCSE grades when you have had a really good education, (and the likelihood is that both of your parents (and their parents etc.) went to university as well!)
    Ah Jeez, I went to the second best state school in the country, got an amazing education and still ploughed my GCSEs, not to mention my granddad going to Jesus' Cambs. I'm not getting into Oxford am I? Ah balls.

Lets hope my 4A's at AS pull me through eh?

*sigh*

At least I can laugh

ReputationRep:
    i only got 1a*, 6a and 3b for GCSE's..is it woth applying for LSE to do govt. and econs???....got ABBC for as level..am doing all their preferred subjects..E.lit, Maths, History and Econs...I am going to have work attachment at this economic development board next week, am involved with helping kids-After school care, maths club...Can i at least be offered a place????am hoping to go to LSE due to the heavy family pressure (sisters went to UCL, one doing Law, the other architecture, bro did medicine in Kings)-and they did not do GCSE's they did o-levels....do you think i can make it???where else should i apply for to do politics/econs-other than bristol and durham....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystal89)
    As for unspoken policies, apparently Durham doesn't take you on with less than 6A*s, same with LSE. It really does depend where you want to go, check the course requirements carefully.
    the durham one's bull. it's certainly not true of all subjects, anyway -- my friend got a durham offer and she had mostly as and bs at gcse. i think she had three a*s at best (and even then i'm pretty sure it was just two). and we went to an excellent grammar school, so you can hardly pass it off as her doing well for her school's standards.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Music, which is very competitive for Oxford, Durham and Manchester (3 of my applications), and I went in with ok predicted A Levels, but I got 10 A*s for GCSE's, which I feel helped me out, as I got an offer from Durham and Manchester (which was interviewed) and had my Oxford interview (which I'm waiting now on a decision). Obviously, the interviews are huge deciding factors for universities that do them, but I feel like good GCSE's are a good foundation for applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    All universities consider them, and a good range of A*s-B will be sufficient for most, considering everything else is up to scratch. Even at Oxbridge, you can get an interview with GCSEs quite a bit below the average Oxford applicant - I proved that one lol. But they will still be taken into account in the final selection process. Unfortunately, I also proved that one. In conclusion, as long as you're expecting decent GCSEs, you'll probably be ok.
    What were your GCSE grades?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the course but overall, not really. I've got in to two Russell groups with 2 GCSEs English and Art at C. Although I did an access course and got really good results with that.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.