2017 University of Edinburgh hopefuls

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMStewart3)
    Course Applying: MA History of Art or Fine Art (5 year course)
    S5 Results: Highers - AAAAB (Art, English, Biology, Maths, Geography)
    S6 Results (Pending) : ABB ( Higher Modern Studies and History and Adv Higher Geography)
    Extra-Curriculars: House Captain and Prefect, Saltire Award, Head of Anti-Discrimination Committee, Pupil Council, Amnesty International Committee, Head of LGBT committee, Yearbook Committee, Media Work Experience, Ran my own Art Exhibition, Dance teaching experience, Co-founder of Art Club.
    Other Places: Glasgow, St Andrews and Aberdeen
    Ah i'm applying for history of art but was also tempted by their 5 year fine art course- they both seem really good there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quick question

For medicine entry, 50% of the application is based on academics. During the scoring, do they favour predicted grades or do they value grades you have already achieved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LillyB14)
    Ah i'm applying for history of art but was also tempted by their 5 year fine art course- they both seem really good there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm so tempted by the 5 year course but I think I wanna do a masters, therefore wouldn't really be able to afford it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really wanting to apply for Politics but only have AAAB so not sure if it's worth it, may as well give it a shot though!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! Does anyone know if Edinburgh sends confirmations of receipt after a document is uploaded in EUCLID?

ReputationRep:
    Sent in my application last Saturday and I just received an unconditional offer today! I'm an American who applied for International Relations.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Grades: 5A*s 5As
    AS Grades: AAAB ( Psychology, Maths, History and Spanish respectively)
    Predicted A Level Grades: A*A*A
    A-level Choices: Psychology, Maths, Spanish and EPQ
    Course: Chinese and Linguistics
    Extra Curricular: Mandarin taster days ,linguistics taster days ,TED Talks, wider reading, volunteering at IntoUniversity, and going on websites and Youtube videos to do some basic language learning.
    Other Universities Applying To: SOAS, Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham Trent

I'm a complete beginner to China and Mandarin so I'm a tad worried about whether I can show a good enough amount of enthusiasm and knowledge in my personal statement though - the ones I've seen on here are unreal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fyrebirds)
    Sent in my application last Saturday and I just received an unconditional offer today! I'm an American who applied for International Relations.
    Same! I applied for law and history...was surprised by how fast decisions came.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candidate6)
    Edinburgh gave me an offer of A*AA for Physics today. I'm an English student so practically international, does anyone else have an offer of any form yet?
    Well done on your offer! Is it a year 2 entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk9899)
    Same! I applied for law and history...was surprised by how fast decisions came.
    What grades did you apply with may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnTroy1)
    What grades did you apply with may I ask?

I'm from the US so I had already met the qualifications when I applied, which is why I probably got my decision so quickly(and I would have to pay a lot more!). I had a 5 on 4 AP exams(World History, Human Geography, American history, English Language), 4 on AP Calculus AB, and 3 on AP Chemistry, a 2190 SAT score, 34 ACT, and 780 Sat Subject test score.

Have you applied for Law as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LillyB14)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know! Leaning towards history of art right now though as I'm not as confident in my practical art skills. Just want to get into Edinburgh though for either as it's my absolute favourite!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnblccz)
    I'm so tempted by the 5 year course but I think I wanna do a masters, therefore wouldn't really be able to afford it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah good point, i'm also considering doing history of art and architectural history now - i'm so indecisive 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMStewart3)
    I know! Leaning towards history of art right now though as I'm not as confident in my practical art skills. Just want to get into Edinburgh though for either as it's my absolute favourite!
    You could apply to both although I asked about it at the open day and they said due to the amount of applications they get they would likely only give you an offer for one. Suppose it depends on what you want to do as a career?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'm an international student (Jamaica) and I got an offer! ABB equivalent + 6.5 in IELTS
    The whole IELTS thing is a bit weird to me because I've been speaking English my whole life but I think it's procedure for internationals tbh as I have a friend who got in last year and had to do it too.

My stats:
    GCSE Grades: (equivalent) A*A*A*A*A*A*AB
    AS Grades: (equivalent) A*A*A*AA
    Predicted A Level Grades: (equivalent ) A*A*A*A*
    A-level Choices: English Literature, Geography, French, Art & Design, Communication Studies/Caribbean Studies (compulsory one year courses where I live)
    Course: MA Politics
    Extra Curricular: Student Council member, senior prefect, art society president, literary society vice president, modern languages club activities coordinator, yearbook committee member, volunteer at daycare and blind society
    Other Universities Applying To: Cambridge, LSE, Bristol, Reading

Good luck everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottishgirl163)
    Really wanting to apply for Politics but only have AAAB so not sure if it's worth it, may as well give it a shot though!
    Apply!! They weigh your personal statement more than your grades (30:70)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christiha)
    Is there a source on this please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Is there a source on this please?
    Er, I really can't find it now but I'm sure I read it somewhere, sorry. Nevertheless, I don't think one B is a huge disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christiha)
    I highly doubt that's the case. Also how would that work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolaah)
    I highly doubt that's the case. Also how would that work?
    Not sure if it is true, but if it is it will most likely be a weighted scoring system (which I've heard most unis do for medicine).

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.