Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will you be on TSR during results day? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    I'm not justifying it, but it's more, "you've brought shame to our family" or "your peers have done so much better than you."

Trust me when I say that there are parents who are a lot worse than that. It's a very difficult and complicated situation to be in.

I had a friend that didn't do too well. His parents wouldn't stop comparing his results to mine and that made him bitter towards me for a good amount of time
    Same with African parents too, but @RDKGames try slap them back get ready to be shipped back where your teachers are allowed to slap you whenever you want!
    Also the comparison thing is annoying and parents seriously don't realise that this can ruin relationships and build up lots of resentment between people,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    This is the internet. I can only go off what I read on the screen and whether you're on some result's day nerves is irrelevant as it doesn't show very well through what you wrote, not to mention I don't even know you.

And of course I don't know your grades, I never claimed I did. Again, you said:

so how else am I supposed to interpret that other than "I screwed up bad enough to miss out on uni/good grades". If you did the best you could in your exams then you shouldn't even be saying that (unless your best was to fail, in which case, go ahead and say that)

Honestly, I don't understand what's with your tone. So perhaps you should just stop.
    Okally dokally pal calm down- was simply getting the point across that there's no need to be patronizing about a qualification of the people in the year below, and you're rude as hell to tell me uni isn't a good place for me if I'm worrying about my grades- worrying over grades is inevitable. Surely you'd know being so much wiser as you're in the year above and I'm just a "kiddo"
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Nah, end up reading stuff like
    "I got 3A* and 1A and I'm really upset about the A will i still get into my university???"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    Wth? That's definitely a good thing. Why should how I did over a year ago matter as much as how I performed in A2 exams 3 months before uni starts?

Either A2' should be weighted significantly higher, or AS's shouldn't count at all. I'd personally have gone with the former but whatever.

Due to the old system, I'm now in a position where I'll likely be rejected despite doing great on my A2 exams. All because of AS results. And If I'm rejected then I'll need to resit year 12 to get into uni instead of year 13 lol. In hindsight i should've resat loads of AS exams this year. But my point stands. The old system was flawed too
    Sorry to hear about your AS results, and best of luck with resitting. My brother did that and now he's doing his masters in property and making mega bucks with internships!
    Yeah I can see your point clearly, and plenty of people in my year share that view. I'm just thinking about projected grades here- if I come out with B/C grades on results day (which would be superb), I'll be projected A/B grades on UCAS which will suffice for all my courses I want to do. Problem is, June'17 exams can be satanic and my PG give me false hope and I slide down to a D/C grade because it was 100% year 13 work. It's arguable both sides yes, but I'm more in favour of having something to 'rely' on ready for year 13 if that makes sense?
    So for me, my German and geography aren't reformed, so I'm aiming for a B/A in both of them to push up to an A at A2, wheras for bio, chem and psych which are reformed, if I get a D in them I'll be thankful I passed but my confidence will turn to zilch as I know next year the exams will be harder
    Lucky I have a mixture of reformed and non-reformed, but I guess my opinion could change on A2 results day. Whats stopping me going from a D at AS in my reformed to an A* at A2? Eyy thats a bonus screw you 90% rule mwahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Idk if I will. If i do badly then people here boasting and asking dumb questions will be a heartbreak.

If i do well then there will be people who have done better anyway xD

I am AS level
    "I've got three As in Math, Physics and Chemistry - will universities even bother looking at my application?"

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I will be there to boast and lie about my results being extremely good, and if I am in the mood, might chuck in an odd comment such as 'only 1 mark off an A' (as if I would do this bad though ahahahahahaha... omg), when in reality, it is a B. That way it will make me look smarter and I will become the most dominant voice on these forum.

I'm just going to exit with this memes for the inferiors who will be serving my fast food for the rest of my life. Do not fear though, peasants, for it is the masses of you at you your level that hold me up on mine:

Name:  1875e582adff7068ad4aefca032d2eff.png
Views: 126
Size:  109.8 KB
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In case you guys thought I was being serious, I wasn't. Seriously, good luck to everyone, doesn't matter what you got as long as you did your best.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    Okally dokally pal calm down- was simply getting the point across that there's no need to be patronizing about a qualification of the people in the year below,
    Wasn't meant to be patronizing, I simply stated you guys have another year to retake these exams in case you do badly whereas A2 students do not, mostly.

and you're rude as hell to tell me uni isn't a good place for me if I'm worrying about my grades- worrying over grades is inevitable.
    Worrying about your grades is pointless, you've already sat your exams. If you do badly then uni isn't probably for you but you have another year to fix that; also why you shouldn't worry so much at this point.

Surely you'd know being so much wiser as you're in the year above and I'm just a "kiddo"
    Here's some wiseness; relax, to do badly is hard if you worked hard, and whenever you see a comment which doesn't go by your rules, try to approach it without the sassy tone.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not unless I'm happy with what I got

Don't fancy having it rubbed in my face that half of TSR got 40A*S haha

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I'll be on TSR posting the traditional "are my grades good/good enough?" question which will no doubt be criticised by people claiming they got 10a*s (sarcasm) . I'll also view other forums of the same question only these will be much better grades like As and A*s and worrying that their grades aren't good enough for Oxbridge/LSE, I mean seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeAD2)
    Sure, I'll be on TSR posting the traditional "are my grades good/good enough?" question which will no doubt be criticised by people claiming they got 10a*s (sarcasm) . I'll also view other forums of the same question only these will be much better grades like As and A*s and worrying that their grades aren't good enough for Oxbridge/LSE, I mean seriously?
    mate the ones who claim they got 10a*s will be too busy posting "are my grades good enough" threads as well
    And that's at A level...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, I'll be in India on the day and I'm not sure how dodgy my aunts new wifi is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't meant to be patronizing, I simply stated you guys have another year to retake these exams in case you do badly whereas A2 students do not, mostly.
    Worrying about your grades is pointless, you've already sat your exams. If you do badly then uni isn't probably for you but you have another year to fix that; also why you shouldn't worry so much at this point.
    Here's some wiseness; relax, to do badly is hard if you worked hard, and whenever you see a comment which doesn't go by your rules, try to approach it without the sassy tone.
    Yup worrying about grades may be pointless but it's a personal matter- some worry more than others. I haven't worked harder for anything in my life hence why I'm petrified it'll be a waste, struggling to understand why worrying over grades is controversial?
    Will try my very hardest to refrain from defending myself online in the future, as patronizing people should deffo 100% be allowed to continue being harsh as they cannot stand a "kiddo" pointing out they're in the wrong. Gotcha
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Yup worrying about grades may be pointless but it's a personal matter- some worry more than others. I haven't worked harder for anything in my life hence why I'm petrified it'll be a waste, struggling to understand why worrying over grades is controversial?
    Wow... alright. Arguing with you and attempting to reach a resolution is like attempting to explain something to a baby; doesn't go anywhere. "I'm petrified it'll be a waste" errr.... mate, if you fail something or don't do as well as you'd expect, it doesn't mean it's a waste. Your knowledge for the subject doesn't automatically disappear just because of a lower grade than anticipated. If you don't do well this year, do try again next year when you'll have more experience.

Will try my very hardest to refrain from defending myself online in the future, as patronizing people should deffo 100% be allowed to continue being harsh as they cannot stand a "kiddo" pointing out they're in the wrong. Gotcha
    What are you defending yourself for? You stated something and I replied. Pretty sure I was the one defending myself too. From your first comment you were the one being patronizing simply due to my misinformation, I simply reflected that tone back at you and you have the nerve to turn it onto me, so calm down and forget about it. In addition, I did admit I was wrong about the changes if what you've said is true. At one point I thought it was a bit inappropriate to call you a kiddo but from your latest replies it is clearly evident that you are one; because you clearly cannot argue your point appropriately without the needless sarcasm and patronizing tone.
    I am honestly surprised you are still replying so I think I'll just leave you at that since this is getting off the tracks of the original topic concerning changes to A-Levels, and I wouldn't want to fill this thread with a pointless argument with a child.

ReputationRep:
    Umm idk shall i come on here. Probably will.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    How can you slap your mother? Wtf.
    Nice edit, not sure why you edited the comment, and while it now makes it seem as if it would be illegal or disgusting to do so, I understand how you may perceive from your point of view. If such situation was to arise, which it never would, I'd call it self defense. I don't see it as a taboo.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'll come here for advice on what subject to do at university.

If not I'll come on here asking for what my stripper name should be.

ReputationRep:
    Nice edit, not sure why you edited the comment, and while it now makes it seem as if it would be illegal or disgusting to do so, I understand how you may perceive from your point of view. If such situation was to arise, which it never would, I'd call it self defense. I don't see it as a taboo.
    I edited my comment straight after I made it?
    And yeah it is pretty disgusting to slap your mother. Self defense? She isn't trying to kill you or anything, it's just a slap and she has a reason to slap you if you didn't work hard and get the right grades, I mean you've pretty much messed up your grades and made it harder for yourself to get a degree? Doesn't mean you slap her in return, that's just disrespectful, she gave birth to you.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    I edited my comment straight after I made it?
    And yeah it is pretty disgusting to slap your mother. Self defense? She isn't trying to kill you or anything, it's just a slap and she has a reason to slap you if you didn't work hard and get the right grades, I mean you've pretty much messed up your grades and made it harder for yourself to get a degree? Doesn't mean you slap her in return, that's just disrespectful, she gave birth to you.
    I have moved my response to a PM so we can avoid derailing this thread. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Cupcake)
    yeah, if i do well

if i get less than a C in anything there's no point in going home, my dad'll have me on the first flight to nigeria. at least i can learn how to tend the goats in the village
    Lmaooo i remember when i got 2 Cs at AS and i got a call coming back and my aunt was like "if you got a C dont even bother coming home"

So i did some retail therapy, bought a frappe and cried on the bus and then went home and locked myself in the bathroom crying :lol: ... not cos of the Cs but cos I worked so hard to grow my hair out and it was literally gonna be pulled off my scalp :lol:

Ngl i was proud of my Cs but I knew my fam were pissed so had to look regretful

... and now A2 results are coming **** my life :cry: :shot:

ReputationRep:
    **** yeah

I'll either start acting like a smug c*unt if everything goes to plan, or wallow in self-pity and shame if it doesn't.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.