Turn on thread page Beta

Why are GCSE's even considered?? I find it astounding.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    According to one of my assistant rectors Oxbridge only like people who do lots of sports . But then again, we've had 1 person go to Cambridge in the last decade and to the best of my knowledge he wasn't sporty. So my teacher probably knows nothing

(Original post by Acaila)
    According to one of my assistant rectors Oxbridge only like people who do lots of sports . But then again, we've had 1 person go to Cambridge in the last decade and to the best of my knowledge he wasn't sporty. So my teacher probably knows nothing
    I'm absolutely dreadful at sportand they didnt seem to care.

they also asked me if music played a large role in my life and i confessed i was absolutely awful and couldn't play anything despite years of lessons but I did like to listen to music and go to concerts.. they didnt seem to mind this either hehe

rosie

ReputationRep:
    They really don't care - if you happen to be a world-class rugby player or rower obviously that will work in your favour (although it shouldn't, bah), but quite frankly they just want lots of firsts and 2is, they don't really worry about your extra curricular stuff.

As my admissions tutor put it: "We'd just like to know you're not an axe-murderer." So leave axes out of your PS and you'll be sorted

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I wish it was all about extra currics. I've done loads. It's going to be murder fitting all my music and drama stuff onto my PS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    As my admissions tutor put it: "We'd just like to know you're not an axe-murderer." So leave axes out of your PS and you'll be sorted
    Oooh, but if you're going to be an archaeologist, don't they want to know that you're handy with shovels and the likes?

Extracurrics aren't bad at all, but the most important thing is to start off by saying why you want to do your course at university, and what your interest in it is. Then go on to talk about how interesting your life is outside work. A friend of mine spent all but two lines of his Section 10 describing just about every responsibility he'd had in the last five years, and then put in a one-liner at the end about how he'd love to read medicine.

He still didn't get in anywhere though...he was deciding between medicine and law until the last minute, and finally selected law courses on his form but sent off his medicine-orientated section 10.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch!
    Still nothing compared to Faboba's reference mix up though (I'll let him explain that )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    ...says someone who did get in.....and therefore cannot even bring himself/herself to criticise the beloved uni. Talk about being biased.
    avoided the question.

re. your not being told how important GCSEs would be:

(Original post by Elles)
    you didn't think, while doing national exams that most people take at 16 where there's a hierarchy of grades, that they might be of some importance later on in life? hmm
    & as crana astutely mentioned..i'm no damn Tab, tis not my "beloved uni"..

for your information, i was rejected by a university i applied to yet don't see the point in complaining about it - they have their criteria & i obviously didn't fit them.

you haven't even been rejected yet.. :rolleyes:
    & i hope it's not History you're applying for, with that eloquent accusation of me being 'biased'!

anyway, your 'exenuating circumstances' seem more than valid, but your attitude (& subsequent claims about not realising how important they were) just seems whiny & bitter & if i were an AT, that alone might make me look for reasons not to accept you rather than the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    avoided the question.

re. your not being told how important GCSEs would be:

& as crana astutely mentioned..i'm no damn Tab, tis not my "beloved uni"..

for your information, i was rejected by a university i applied to yet don't see the point in complaining about it - they have their criteria & i obviously didn't fit them.

you haven't even been rejected yet.. :rolleyes:
    & i hope it's not History you're applying for, with that eloquent accusation of me being 'biased'!

anyway, your 'exenuating circumstances' seem more than valid, but your attitude (& subsequent claims about not realising how important they were) just seems whiny & bitter & if i were an AT, that alone might make me look for reasons not to accept you rather than the other way round.
    Bitter?! Did you even read my original thread? Someone who is bitter doesnt conclude their posts with 'aint I an unlucky git' or 'Ill stop bothering you and have some great holidays'. The only person here who is trying to transform my original question into something which is not, its you. Saying that I do wish you have some great times during this summer and best of luck whatever you are doing in the future. I wont be replying to this thread anymore. Thanks to everyone for their advices and comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Unless debating is considered a sport then they seemed to have laxed up that rule.

If it bothers you just say how much you like playing basketball and tennis and how you're thinking of taking up... uh... lacrosse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    If it bothers you just say how much you like playing basketball and tennis and how you're thinking of taking up... uh... lacrosse?
    or even better..take up lacrosse when you get there! lots of fun

(although if you're not an 'outdorsy' type then a winter-pitch-mixed sex-"non contact"-sport may not be ideal.. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Unless debating is considered a sport then they seemed to have laxed up that rule.

Nah, I've got enough activities as it is, so I'm not going to bother with any exaggeration. I just hope they realise they're probably looking at a future college drama soc president hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Surely Cambridge should look at more in depth courses such as A-level and not bother with GCSE's. Why is there a need to have amazing GCSE's results? I will probably get AAA however my GCSE results are pretty rubbish taking into account the fact that I was inserted into the English education system directly into the GCSE's (of which I did approximitaly 1 year and a half, and econ and business just 1 year) without any knowledge of English, therefore I managed to get some mediocre grades, 1 A*, 2A's, 5B, 4C. I was thinking of applying to cambridge but I see a lot of emphasis is put on the GCSE results and I think it's quite unfair really since in my school teachers refered to these particular exams as just an indication of what you might be doing for your A-levels and never was I educated properly on the importance they have when applying to Uni. Anyway enough of my ranting, Ill let you get on with more important stuff .

P.s Enjoy your holidays!
    They consider your GCSE's because they're so deluded they think grades measures intelligence.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.