The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    It shows how bad the education system in Britain is, schools should be seeing 100% of A-level results being A*-C; I would expect 83.4% to be the percentage of A*/A grades.
    If everybody passed and nearly all got A or higher, it'd be pretty useless at distuinguishing the average from the good from the exceptional. Just entirely pointless at that stage. Harsh as it is there are always going to be some who fail and if their aren't it's because the system's failing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Sigh. We now seem to have the Chief Executive of UCAS suggesting positive discrimination to help more boys who show no interest or inclination towards academia waste taxpayer's money getting a degree.
    Im against positive discrimination but if its going to occur for one side with certain issues it should also happen for the other when they are behind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Im against positive discrimination but if its going to occur for one side with certain issues it should also happen for the other when they are behind.
    You've gotta look at why they're behind though. It's not as if boys and men are being discriminated against. They are just arsing around in school, not doing homework, playing video games rather than reading and then in many cases acting as though they're entitled to the taxpayer funding them for three more years of higher education!

ReputationRep:
    You've gotta look at why they're behind though. It's not as if boys and men are being discriminated against. They are just arsing around in school, not doing homework, playing video games rather than reading and then in many cases acting as though they're entitled to the taxpayer funding them for three more years of higher education!
    So personal choice the same can be said about women and STEM there are also calls quotas there, and a argument can be made about the labour parties discrimination of all women shortlists.

ReputationRep:
    It shows how bad the education system in Britain is, schools should be seeing 100% of A-level results being A*-C; I would expect 83.4% to be the percentage of A*/A grades.
    It is shocking when you think that between 20 and 25% of students can't even get 5 C's at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please, this is why coursework was incorporated into more subjects at school (boys on average performed better at exams, girls at coursework)

This goes back even to primary school, girls talk earlier and boys comprehension of words occurs later than in girls. We should be putting more effort into encouraging boys to read without being "soft," this requires a government action. This is no different than encouraging women into STEM.

Our uni recently created a course designed to "simplify" coding to suit women and encourage female applicants to get a coding qualification.

Rather than dumbing down the curriculum to suit boys, we should be encouraging boys to engage with it in current form. This is what they were getting at and this is a positive idea.

Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Oh please, this is why coursework was incorporated into more subjects at school (boys on average performed better at exams, girls at coursework)

This goes back even to primary school, girls talk earlier and boys comprehension of words occurs later than in girls. We should be putting more effort into encouraging boys to read without being "soft," this requires a government action. This is no different than encouraging women into STEM.

Our uni recently created a course designed to "simplify" coding to suit women and encourage female applicants to get a coding qualification.

Rather than dumbing down the curriculum to suit boys, we should be encouraging boys to engage with it in current form. This is what they were getting at and this is a positive idea.

Ridiculous.
    "Simplify" coding?! Because women obviously can't handle complex code? Sorry, but the whole thing is ridiculous. There is absolutely nothing that makes it harder for women to code: it's just something more men are interested in. Just like more women, shockingly enough, are interested in careers involving people skills and caring for others, and are taking up a lot of degree places related to health or education. I've really had enough of dumb initiatives that amount to little more than pushing people down paths they're not particularly interested in or in many cases suited to in the name of "gender equality", by which they seem to mean fighting against the very existence of gender itself and attempting to dispel society of any evidence it exists or that there's any difference between men and women. It's utterly farcical.

ReputationRep:
    "Simplify" coding?! Because women obviously can't handle complex code? Sorry, but the whole thing is ridiculous. There is absolutely nothing that makes it harder for women to code: it's just something more men are interested in. Just like more women, shockingly enough, are interested in careers involving people skills and caring for others, and are taking up a lot of degree places related to health or education. I've really had enough of dumb initiatives that amount to little more than pushing people down paths they're not particularly interested in or in many cases suited to in the name of "gender equality", by which they seem to mean fighting against the very existence of gender itself and attempting to dispel society of any evidence it exists or that there's any difference between men and women. It's utterly farcical.
    Totally agree.

That said, boys being lazier at school (even from Primary School) doesn't fall under that remit of false gender equality. That's a genuine issue about boys paying attention and doing homework in school. That's another form of pressure encouraging boys to skive and anything less is likely to see you called a "queer." That needs to be tackled. That's not the same as forcing more boys to do HE.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting for you to point out the inconsistency in opposing capital punishment on the grounds that it removes a person's choice over their life and supporting the legalization of assisted suicide on the grounds that it grants a person choice over their life.

In both cases it is about giving a person the right to choose whether they live or die rather than letting the state decide. Where is the inconsistency?

You may feel that in practice assisted suicide would not work, but that doesn't mean that supporting it in principle is contradictory to opposing the death penalty in principle, when the principle for both is autonomous choice over your life.

ReputationRep:
    Go Saoirse!! :five:

Absolutely right here. I work in this sector, I work with people that work in this sector. I work with other companies in this sector. More and more women are joining the tech industry, especially the startup sector. The reason? Because they bloody well want to! If they don't want to, they shouldn't have to. It's not for everyone and I can appreciate some people would find it soul destroying, whilst others would find it therapeutic or enjoyable. Anyone is capable of doing anything, to be honest. Regardless of their gender. We shouldn't have 'quotas' to fill certain jobs based on gender, we should do a better job of making sure the people know that they have a free choice to choose their own career path, whatever it may be.

I hope I interpreted you properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Totally agree.

That said, boys being lazier at school (even from Primary School) doesn't fall under that remit of false gender equality. That's a genuine issue about boys paying attention and doing homework in school. That's another form of pressure encouraging boys to skive and anything less is likely to see you called a "queer." That needs to be tackled. That's not the same as forcing more boys to do HE.
    Where there's bullying going on that obviously needs to be tackled, but I still think we'll see more girls going to uni - perhaps substantially more - and I don't think that's a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Go Saoirse!! :five:

Absolutely right here. I work in this sector, I work with people that work in this sector. I work with other companies in this sector. More and more women are joining the tech industry, especially the startup sector. The reason? Because they bloody well want to! If they don't want to, they shouldn't have to. It's not for everyone and I can appreciate some people would find it soul destroying, whilst others would find it therapeutic or enjoyable. Anyone is capable of doing anything, to be honest. Regardless of their gender. We shouldn't have 'quotas' to fill certain jobs based on gender, we should do a better job of making sure the people know that they have a free choice to choose their own career path, whatever it may be.

I hope I interpreted you properly.
    You interpret me perfectly And every one of those women will know they're there on merit rather than because "equality" meant they had to be hired. It combats a much more real problem for women in such sectors than discrimination which is imposter syndrome, and means you get the women who actually love those kind of jobs and want to do it - a win-win for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Where there's bullying going on that obviously needs to be tackled, but I still think we'll see more girls going to uni - perhaps substantially more - and I don't think that's a problem.
    Ah I get your point, I agree with that point about no problem with more girls going to uni than guys. Think you've missed the point about a lack of reading by boys in primary school, the significant age delay and the less effort being put into boys and homework at primary school. I'm sure you agree that at aged 11 boys and girls should be on an equal platform and if there are grade differences by gender thats a huge problem so early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Much like their TSR counterparts, they are a turbulent party who have increasingly become a shadow of their former self. Losing their old leaders turns them into a party of rambling fools with dangerous ideologies.
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Didn't realise we were talking about Labour

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    3/10 comment, missing a 'your mum' joke.
    It doesn't really work because you can hardly accuse TSR Labour of being 'turbulent' or indeed 'losing their old leaders' :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    'losing their old leaders' :laugh:
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Krollo
    Out of interest, given the number of MHoC Cantabs has now gone up to two, which college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Krollo
    Out of interest, given the number of MHoC Cantabs has now gone up to two, which college?
    Corpus, yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Corpus, yourself?
    Lucky you! Catz for me, incidentally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Lol.
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Surely they'd just be forced to make an A** and a A*** grade? For the sake of differentiating.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.