Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should abortions be free? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    So, if someone finds out part way through their pregancy that they're going to have a seriously disabled baby, they should be penalised for that?
    I don't know whether you read the original post but you seem not to notice the statistic that just 2% of abortions occur due to the malforming of the child, so what about the other 98%???

ReputationRep:
    It isn't a health issue so I don't see why the NHS should be paying. You got yourself into the situation. If you take the decision to abort, why should others pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    I read here that someone said if people were made to pay, they would learn from their mistakes. I disagree, If the NHS didn't cover the cost of abortions, it wouldn't affect the actual rate of abortions carried out, it would just increase the rate of unsafe back-street abortions carried out by unqualified people. It would make yet another divide between women who can afford them and women who cant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Who said anything about forcing them to look after a baby? When you go to the doctor and they give you a prescription, don't you have to pay for it?
    Many people don't no.

Pregnancy is 100% preventable.
    It categorically is not.

If a woman really wanted to have an abortion, she wouldn't hesitate to pay up a portion of the amount I.e £30 as opposed to funding an unwanted child for 18yrs.
    Your idea solves nothing. It both utterly fails to cover the cost of an abortion (nullifying all of your 'why should we pay for other's mistakes' arguments) and could potentially leave some people, the most vulnerable in our society, unable to pay which is both cruel AND uneconomical.

You seem to have this idea that having an abortion is as easy as taking a pill. Its not. Depending on how late it is, it involves a lot of pain, bleeding, multiple hospital visits, and sometimes an invasive surgical procedure done under general anaesthetic. No one, and I mean no one, is deliberately using abortions as contraception when the morning after pill is available, and if someone is so stupid/disorganised enough to need to go through the procedure multiple times then a £30 charge is going to be absolutely no disincentive.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    What if its a rape outcome? That should be free 100% and should be handled with the chain of evidence via NHS
    How do you prove exactly it was rape? And of course, there are women who will be too scared to come forward and say they were raped.

ReputationRep:
    How do you prove exactly it was rape? And of course, there are women who will be too scared to come forward and say they were raped.
    By the NHS Chain of Evidence (documents that go through virology departments in hospitals- learnt this on work experience)

ReputationRep:
    nahhhhh pay for it your damn self

ReputationRep:
    So, if someone finds out part way through their pregancy that they're going to have a seriously disabled baby, they should be penalised for that?
    Standard costs are not a penalty. In your case the mother would just not be advantaged, but merely treated like any other patient.

If she had to pay more than other women for her abortion, then that would be a penalty.

ReputationRep:
    Well from a cost perspective it is a heck of a lot cheaper to provide free abortions than to:

-give prenatal care
    -give maternity and birthing care
    -give neonatal care if needed
    -give that child healthcare throughout it's life
    -give that child a place in schools and colleges
    -give support and tax subsidises to new parents

...£680 is starting to look quite cheap now isn't it compared to a lifetime of costs?

So anyone who thinks they shouldn't be free for funding reasons...yeah I'm going to question if that is really the reason you don't want them to be free.

(Original post by nexttime)
    Many people don't no.
    If you don't then that's your own problem. If I chose not to pay for my prescription then I have to deal with the consequence

It categorically is not.
    Aside from rape victims, how is it not preventable?

[QUOTEYour idea solves nothing. It both utterly fails to cover the cost of an abortion (nullifying all of your 'why should we pay for other's mistakes' arguments) and could potentially leave some people, the most vulnerable in our society, unable to pay which is both cruel AND uneconomical.[/QUOTE]
    It's not cruel, it's fair. If you've made the mistake twice them you pay for the 3rd and any future ones. How is that cruel?
    It doesn't need to cover the entire cost of an abortion. If each person contributes £30, it would save hundreds of thousands per year, probably even more. Prescriptions don't cost £8.40, that's just how much were charged.

You seem to have this idea that having an abortion is as easy as taking a pill. Its not. Depending on how late it is, it involves a lot of pain, bleeding, multiple hospital visits, and sometimes an invasive surgical procedure done under general anaesthetic. No one, and I mean no one, is deliberately using abortions as contraception when the morning after pill is available, and if someone is so stupid/disorganised enough to need to go through the procedure multiple times then a £30 charge is going to be absolutely no disincentive.
    Depending on how early, it is as easy as taking a pill...
    Im more than aware of an abortion process and I'm not sympathetic. You put yourself in that situation. The pain you may endure will not change just because you paid £30.

How can you say with such certainty that charging people will not be effective when it has never been implemented?

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    Well from a cost perspective it is a heck of a lot cheaper to provide free abortions than to:

-give prenatal care
    -give maternity and birthing care
    -give neonatal care if needed
    -give that child healthcare throughout it's life
    -give that child a place in schools and colleges
    -give support and tax subsidises to new parents

...£680 is starting to look quite cheap now isn't it compared to a lifetime of costs?

So anyone who thinks they shouldn't be free for funding reasons...yeah I'm going to question if that is really the reason you don't want them to be free.
    I don't know why people aren't understanding that charging for abortions doesn't mean you're forced to continue your pregnancy. If you were charged £30 from your 3rd abortion, it will work out much cheaper than financially supporting a child for 18yrs

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why people aren't understanding that charging for abortions doesn't mean you're forced to continue your pregnancy. If you were charged £30 from your 3rd abortion, it will work out much cheaper than financially supporting a child for 18yrs
    Probably because you plucked £30 out of thin air.

If people were charged the actual cost (£680 or more depending trimester) there will be a lot of people who simply could not afford to come up with that amount of money there and then for a procedure that is time sensitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    Contraception - multiple types at the same time, even - can be used yet pregnancy can still occur; it's not just people being lazy. Even then, people can make mistakes; how would, say, a student be able to afford an abortion or raise a child?

And what about cases of rape? You could say abortions could be free when there's a convicted rapist, but not all sexual assault is reported, not everything leads to a conviction, and a trial could run on long enough that an abortion wouldn't be viable, and only the richest (who, incidentally, would be the most financially equipped to raise a child) would be able to afford the abortion.

If the NHS is strained, it needs more funding. The solution isn't to harm both the victims of sexual assault and anyone who isn't rich enough to afford an abortion.
    I agree.
    Also if the person finds out their child would be severely disabled, they should be allowed an abortion.

Probably because you plucked £30 out of thin air.

If people were charged the actual cost (£680 or more depending trimester) there will be a lot of people who simply could not afford to come up with that amount of money there and then for a procedure that is time sensitive.
    £30 is just an example...

People won't be charged the actual cost. A fraction of the cost is fair and more affordable. Thats all I've suggested

ReputationRep:
    £30 is just an example...

People won't be charged the actual cost. A fraction of the cost is fair and more affordable. Thats all I've suggested
    Your original post just said "Should the taxpayer continue to fund other people's mistakes?"

With the £30 example most of it is still tax payers funding. So that was quite unclear.

...and that is without even pointing out that these women are in all likelihood taxpayers themselves. So they're already paying.

Your original post just said "Should the taxpayer continue to fund other people's mistakes?"

With the £30 example most of it is still tax payers funding. So that was quite unclear.

...and that is without even pointing out that these women are in all likelihood taxpayers themselves. So they're already paying.
    Yes I did say that, but I realise that £680 is a lot of money and like someone said, it would just increase the number of backstreet abortions. I'm aware that they pay their taxes, but a £30 charge is much more direct and solely goes toward the cost of their own abortion. Perhaps people on a low income should be fully funded (as is with most things)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurplePixie96)
    Yes. And I have no problem with my tax money going towards that.

You don't know what is going on in someone's personal life that leads them to make the decision to have an abortion.
    Well I and plenty of other people do have a problem with our tax money going towards abortions. Those who can afford it should pay for it themselves, and for those who can't, charities could be set up to help them pay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This place is awfully anti progressive at times.
    Yes someone should get a free abortion on the NHS, just as someone should get a free operation if they break their leg.

What happens if people cannot afford abortions then? Do we just have tens of thousands more babies each year born into families that can't afford them? Will that not cost us far more in the long term in child benefits and a school place? Seems many on here were I capable of foresight.

The idea of a national health service is that you get free at point of use treatment. I really don't want a culture where you have to prove you are worthy of treatment.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    nahhhhh pay for it your damn self
    And what if you can't afford it? We would have thousands more births each year, each one costing us far more in birthing costs, childcare education etc than an abortion would.

The lack of foresight of some people is astonishing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    No.

Given that i desire an increased native birth rate i'm of the opinion that the vast majority of abortions should not be funded by the NHS.
    Once again, you show your illiberal side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.