The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Well, you have ages to decide! Have Ireland reformed their A-levels, or is it still AS/A2? If they haven't yet, you can take 4 then drop 1 after the first year. In the UK, I think we're stuck with 3 subjects, for now. That will help you leave your options open, like going w/ Biology, Chemistry, English and French, so you can go either route. Good luck with whichever path you decide on following!

Good luck!
    Yeah well I have until January to decide😁 I can still change my mind after that though. Yep I'm the last year to do AS/A2 thank god! And nearly everyone in my school (top grammar) does 4 so I'll probably keep my options open like you said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    Hi Omar
    How many of the challenges have you completed for Project Euler?
    I enjoy solving problems so i'm interested to know more about it.
    Hello ! I've done 27 challenges so far , I'm also quite new to the site but it's very enjoyable ! You should definetly give it a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futurechemist)
    Hello ! I've done 27 challenges so far , I'm also quite new to the site but it's very enjoyable ! You should definetly give it a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll try to do 1 a week
    They're quite hard apparently so I won't push myself so hard at first

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm ArkhamAsylum_
    I'm currently 15 and turning 16 next August. I'm not looking forward to yr 11 at all cos of all the stress...
    Is anyone here doing OCR Gateway b triple science?
    Or have done any of the controlled assessments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArkhamAsylum_)
    Hey I'm ArkhamAsylum_
    I'm currently 15 and turning 16 next August. I'm not looking forward to yr 11 at all cos of all the stress...
    Don't be stressed! You have a long time to prepare! (and turn around any grades you're not happy with)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Don't be stressed! You have a long time to prepare! (and turn around any grades you're not happy with)
    Thanks. I am happy with my grades for maths and science but I am especially worried about history as I do not have a good teacher at school and my class is very disruptive and so it is very difficult to learn anything. I guess I will have to learn all of the content at home. What do you recommend i do?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got their National Insurance Number yet?
    - JTran38

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm ArkhamAsylum_
    I'm doing OCR gateway b

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I am happy with my grades for maths and science but I am especially worried about history as I do not have a good teacher at school and my class is very disruptive and so it is very difficult to learn anything. I guess I will have to learn all of the content at home. What do you recommend i do?
    What exam board are you on for History?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snikerio)
    I'm doing OCR gateway b

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you done any of the controlled assessments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    What exam board are you on for History?
    AQA

ReputationRep:
    AQA
    Oh ok, I'm on OCR. Are you on History B? I'd maybe look at the spec, tbh, to see what you need to learn. Your textbook might help in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    Have you done any of the controlled assessments?
    Yes we've done all 3, I got 45/48 on bio and chem and 44/48 on physics so if you need advice on anything I could give you some tips

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Oh ok, I'm on OCR. Are you on History B? I'd maybe look at the spec, tbh, to see what you need to learn. Your textbook might help in that regard.
    Yhh i'm doing history b. That's a good idea, i will look at the spec. I will revise from the textbook and do some past papers so I should be fine. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yhh i'm doing history b. That's a good idea, i will look at the spec. I will revise from the textbook and do some past papers so I should be fine. Thanks.
    Good luck! Once you're back in school you can ask your teacher to explain anything you're unsure about after class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snikerio)
    Yes we've done all 3, I got 45/48 on bio and chem and 44/48 on physics so if you need advice on anything I could give you some tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow well done . I've already finished my physics one (my teacher is still marking them) and I have done the research and the plan for chemistry but still have part 3 left to do when school starts again. Currently, I am doing the research on biology (osmosis). How many pages did you do for the research for bio? How detailed did you go for the question on the difference in structure of animal & plant cells? Could you just give me any tips for the research?

ReputationRep:
    If anyone does ICT edexel please tell me.
    I think i may have flopped very very badly with the Animal shelter coursework...

ReputationRep:
    Wow well done . I've already finished my physics one (my teacher is still marking them) and I have done the research and the plan for chemistry but still have part 3 left to do when school starts again. Currently, I am doing the research on biology (osmosis). How many pages did you do for the research for bio? How detailed did you go for the question on the difference in structure of animal & plant cells? Could you just give me any tips for the research?
    Thank you
    For the osmosis one, I believe I brought about 7 pages of just copied and pasted info and wrote up 4 sides (with a 2 side bibliography). We were given a double lesson for that so I had plenty of time to sort out the parts most relevant to the questions in lesson. I'm sure you know this, but the bibliography is soooo important. Make sure you get everything your teacher tells you to include - the entire URL, the author, the date when it was last edited, when you accessed it and the company or organisation that made it. We were also told specifically not to use Wikipedia. Don't forget to reference as you go as well.

For the structure, I believe I just printed off a picture of the two different types of cells and used that as a reference. I had two sections; similarities and differences. If I recognised the part of the cell I would add what it was used for; i.e. mitochondria for respiration, because organisms need to respire etc etc. I also mentioned the names of some stuff that were in the diagram but I hadn't heard of like golgi apparatus. This probably wasn't the best strategy though. I would recommend finding out what parts of the cells we're required to know and discussing them in order to be efficient and cover anything that's required. Splitting it up into similarities and differences worked well. (bare in mind [I think] research isn't marked on content, but method, thus why there's so much emphasis on the bibliography)

Good luck with your physics!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cxesar)
    If anyone does ICT edexel please tell me.
    I think i may have flopped very very badly with the Animal shelter coursework...
    MrMackyTv may be able to help, just PM him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creamystudies)
    Me😢
    Could you PM me

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.