The Current Year 12 thread 2016-2017

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Okay, wow. Saying I'll be in year 12 this year is very strange to me as I feel like middle school was only last week.

Introduce yourself:
    Hello! I'm Grace and I'm 16. I'm originally from North London but I've moved around a couple of times! Personality type is ISFJ.

Hobbies and Interests:
    Well, I'm a black belt in Taekwondo so a fair bit of my spare time is spent training and teaching! I enjoy listening to music (practically any genre) and also have a fascination with space. I watch loads of TV shows and also play guitar and ukulele when I have time.

Subjects I am planning to take:
    If all goes well on results day and I get the grades I need, I'm hoping to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Business Studies!
    Favourite Subject(s):
    My favourite subject has always been Maths

Ideal Future Occupation:
    I guess I haven't thought that far? Maybe something to do with researching space.

ReputationRep:
    - Introduce yourself
    hi i'm sofia and i live in essex!

- What are your hobbies and interests?
    i've been really into kpop for the past year and bts are my favourites but i also like other korean music and kdramas (i'm watching age of youth and w now and they're amazing, i'd really recommend them if you watch kdramas and haven't seen them!). i also really love arctic monkeys and i used to be really intensely into indie rock music. i'm also interested in politics and used to read and watch films a lot but i need to get back into it lately

- What subjects are you planning to take?
    eng lit, history, psychology and sociology

- Your favourite subject(s)?
    english and history!!!

- Your ideal future occupation?
    to be honest, i don't really know... i used to really want to be an author but i've lost faith in myself in that. i'd love to do a history and politics degree or maybe just a history degree, but after that i'm unsure. maybe a journalist? maybe something politics related (an mp someday... let's see)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayacarswell)
    We did AQA and I think the sports I took forward were Fitness, Netball, Basketball and coaching in basketball. That springs to mind anyway, in all honesty my marks were pretty much all 6/7 out of 10 so i wasn't too bothered about what was put down!
    What sports did you do?
    Ah right, I did personal survival, rounders, athletics and fitness. It all seems so long ago!! I think I got 8,7,6,7 which is okay I guess. So glad pe is over

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    PETITION TO LOWER GRADE BOUNDARIES https://www.change.org/p/gcse-studen...=copylink_long

ReputationRep:
    Oh god...the fact that this thread exists has made everything more real

- Introduce yourself
    Hi! I'm Zaynah, I was on the Y11 thread too.
    Kpop, kdramas, anime and nintendo also tumblr, my blogs are in my spoilers (ik the kpop one sucks, I need to change some stuff ok don't judge me)
    Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French
    Japanese (did it at GCSE but will now have to self study which sucks), Biology and French.
    - Your ideal future occupation?
    A dentist! I was originally going for Medicine but I decided after work experience that the life of a doctor isn't for me (more specifically a junior doctor...don't know how they do it )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    Welcome to the official Year 12 Thread! (2016-2017) :bigsmile::borat::bunny::clap2::dance::elefant::excited:

*grabs an old school microphone descending from the ceiling*

Students! We're going to embark on a journey like we have never experienced! The first year of the A-levels :work:! The jump may seem big to some of you from the GCSEs that we did, but show no fear! Fence with them, en garde and riposte! :fight:

Now time to tell us who you are. :hello:

- Introduce yourself
    - Your ideal future occupation? :smartass:

Future Oxbridge applicants:

Cambridge - ColossalAtom, CyberJake, Mahrez

Oxford -

(Let me know if one of these is your trajectory, then I'll add you there. Also feel free to recommend some I haven't added on yet)

Aspiring medical doctor(s): ColossalAtom, LDS16, CyberJake, drapplepilot

Aspiring lawyer(s): LieutenantJ, cherryblossoming, lonyeka

Aspiring banker(s): AdeptDz

Aspiring teacher(s):

Aspiring engineer(s): Mahrez

Aspiring computer developer(s):

Some bits of this was stolen from JTran38 year 11 thread.

I'm always continuously editing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey guys, a lot of you may already know me from the other thread, but if you don't, I'll introduce myself:

My name is Ken (not Kenneth, despite the username!) I am really active; I play for a semi-pro football team and I also represent the Essex County U18 team. So as you can imagine, I love football. Besides that I'm into politics and current affairs,as well as science. I love all sciences however my biggest passion is for physics.

I am planning to take:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    Economics

My favourite subjects are maths and physics (currently joint but may change slightly as I begin my A levels).

In the future I would like to be a physicist, ideally a professor of physics at a top university or a researcher at big company eg NASA or CERN. If I ever get bored of physics I'd like to get into politics and become an MP and move on from there and get a major cabinet post.

I am likely to be a future Oxford applicant so ColossalAtom please add me in the OP

I'm writing this on the 24th August so as you can imagine I'm full of butterflies as I await my results!

kennethdcharles No problem. Also you have to type out the name slowly then click the name you're looking for, so the person's name is highlighted in blue. Then that person will receive a notification.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Physics is so inexplicably cool.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Charlotte I'm going to my school's sixth form in Sept.
    I play the clarinet and I love to read and watching movies!
    I'm taking maths, English biology and chemistry next year (I'm already overworked and we haven't started yet 😩)

ReputationRep:
    Introduce yourself
    Hi, I'm Loz (thats what I'm known as on here ) and I'm fairly new to TSR - I wasn't on the Year 11 thread as I only recently discovered how great the forums on here are I am hoping to be a constant visitor on this thread as what with starting sixth form and A Levels, it's all very new to me and quite scary actually!

What are your hobbies and interests?
    I'm a very musical person, I play the piano and guitar, it's what I like to do to relax. I throughouly enjoy baking and I actually really like playing board games! I love watching Youtubers however I know that with the increased work load this may have to be cut down in sixth form

What subjects are you planning to take?
    Maths
    Biology
    Psychology
    Business

Your favourite subject(s)?
    My favourite subject was music (which I took for GCSE) but I didn't continue it onto A level as our teacher told us it was extremely hard and for me personally I chose to keep it as a hobby and not something I'd start to hate because I didn't enjoy the work.
    I also love business (mainly because I love the teacher as she is super nice!)
    I think psychology will become one of my favourite subjects too purely because it sounds so interesting!

Your ideal future occupation?
    A teacher/something working in education.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite excited to be a part of this thread!! I've never really involved myself in these sorts of threads before but I think for A levels it'll be nice to have a little TSR family so we can all experience this together woooooo let's goooo!!!!

Introduce yourself:
    Heyy, well my name is Emi, urm, I live in Cornwall right at the bottom of our splendid country, and yeah I don't know what else to say hahah

Hobbies and Interests:I used to play a lot of sport, but i had a major spinal operation because I have something called scoliosis and so now have two metal rods and titanium screws in my spine, and a beauty of a scar, and where sport isn't out of the question, I don't enjoy it anymore, prefer to work out alone; I'm a little gym rat now.
    I love the sea, and sailing is a huge hobby of mine.
    I love beach parties and camping and drinking around bonfires with my friends - sounds totally cliche but i love it. Festivals too; dancing, a lot of dancing.
    I have really vivid dreams, and I enjoy writing them down and making stories out of them, I love books and I also really love science, a lot.
    I enjoy acting too.

I have too many interests lol

Subjects I am planning to take:
    Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Religious Studies. Wanted to take Spanish too because I adore the language, but my college offer it as an evening course which I'm taking instead to avoid the pressure of getting another good AS grade, as I'm not interested in the qualification I just want to learn the language.

Favourite Subject(s): Maths and Physics, but on the contrary I love love love drama, and also Literature- although I'm not taking them on to A level, they're keen interests of mine and I will keep myself involved in them.

Ideal Future Occupation:I've thought about this a lot, but I'll never be willing to make a permanent occupation goal, because there's so much out there I could do If I wanted! Although, i do love science research, particularly physics, but then I also love media and drama and making films and writing stories and poetry so who knows lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey guys, a lot of you may already know me from the other thread, but if you don't, I'll introduce myself:

My name is Ken (not Kenneth, despite the username!) I am really active; I play for a semi-pro football team and I also represent the Essex County U18 team. So as you can imagine, I love football. Besides that I'm into politics and current affairs,as well as science. I love all sciences however my biggest passion is for physics.

I am planning to take:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    Economics

My favourite subjects are maths and physics (currently joint but may change slightly as I begin my A levels).

In the future I would like to be a physicist, ideally a professor of physics at a top university or a researcher at big company eg NASA or CERN. If I ever get bored of physics I'd like to get into politics and become an MP and move on from there and get a major cabinet post.

I am likely to be a future Oxford applicant so @ColossalAtom please add me in the OP

I'm writing this on the 24th August so as you can imagine I'm full of butterflies as I await my results!
    I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge in the future!! I expect you want to apply to physics at Oxford then? I'm a NatSci kinda girl I think, Physics is my favourite science but I do love chemistry too, so NatSci seems perfect for me.

Are you excited for GCSE results!? I just want to know what I got now!!

ReputationRep:
    ColossalAtom Add me in - Hopeful Future Cambridge applicant !!

(Original post by emi.hopkins)
    ColossalAtom Add me in - Hopeful Future Cambridge applicant !!
    Physics should be classified as a new language. Because is that awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Physics should be classified as a new language. Because is that awesome.
    Oh how I love physics

ReputationRep:
    kennethdcharles No problem. Also you have to type out the name slowly then click the name you're looking for, so the person's name is highlighted in blue. Then that person will receive a notification.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Physics is so inexplicably cool.
    Yeah I know😂 the mobile app was acting a bit weird so i just hoped yoh would see your name!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ikr! Best subject along with maths

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge in the future!! I expect you want to apply to physics at Oxford then? I'm a NatSci kinda girl I think, Physics is my favourite science but I do love chemistry too, so NatSci seems perfect for me.

Are you excited for GCSE results!? I just want to know what I got now!!
    Yes I should be applying for physics at Oxford though there is a slight chance of me changing my mind and applyimg to cambridge for either maths or natsci (physical). I did really like chemistry too at GCSE, unfortunatelyI cant do 5 A levels 😂! But yeah physics is my favourite scienceand xince you lime them boh natsci seems really ideal.

I really want to get my results now! I dont think ill sleep much lool!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I should be applying for physics at Oxford though there is a slight chance of me changing my mind and applyimg to cambridge for either maths or natsci (physical). I did really like chemistry too at GCSE, unfortunatelyI cant do 5 A levels 😂! But yeah physics is my favourite scienceand xince you lime them boh natsci seems really ideal.

Yeah I wanted to take 5 and take further maths but it would just be wayyy too much, I'd rather take three or four and do real well than take five and do okay or badly.

I honestly wish i could carry on with so many more A levels hahah, wish there was the time because I'm going to miss English and Biology too!!

NatSci seems like taking A levels again, just at a much harder level of course.

I'm not going to be sleeping at all, and i didn't sleep last night once because I was at a party ahah, ANDDD i have work tomorrow (

Yeah I wanted to take 5 and take further maths but it would just be wayyy too much, I'd rather take three or four and do real well than take five and do okay or badly.

I honestly wish i could carry on with so many more A levels hahah, wish there was the time because I'm going to miss English and Biology too!!

NatSci seems like taking A levels again, just at a much harder level of course.

I'm not going to be sleeping at all, and i didn't sleep last night once because I was at a party ahah, ANDDD i have work tomorrow (
    We can all be STEM buddies. I'm planning to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    We can all be STEM buddies. I'm planning to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
    I like that!

ReputationRep:
    STEM all the way!!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.