The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FeminineEminem)
    Haha I literally just finished about 30 seconds ago, but thanks anyway! I thought it was alright, it's a little annoying that they didn't give any indication as to how long it will be before we hear back (if we hear back at all), but oh well.
    Yeah I know what you mean, I'm really anxious to hear back because it's for the winter vac scheme aswell and its only 3 months away! Hopefully by the middle to end of October they will get back to us, but my betting is on mid November being the most likely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    Yeah I know what you mean, I'm really anxious to hear back because it's for the winter vac scheme aswell and its only 3 months away! Hopefully by the middle to end of October they will get back to us, but my betting is on mid November being the most likely
    I hope it's not that late, I'd really like to secure something for winter as soon as possible. Anyway, good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexbev)
    Hey this might be a stupid question but I just got an email from Jones Day saying that they've requested an academic reference and will review my application and get back to me after receiving this. I was just wondering if this is a generic email that they send to everyone or whether they screen out people before sending this?

Thanks in advance!
    They have screened before sending you that email.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzy210)
    Repped.

I also have secured a TC this year, with Slaughters, but I'll also be about on this thread if anyone has any questions. I also completed a Vacation Scheme at Linklaters, and turned down a scheme at Hogan Lovells. Much like the above poster I'm very grateful to users of TSR throughout the years, so would like to help if possible.
    Hi everyone,

I think I'll be checking in on this forum fairly regularly - I graduated a few years ago and have been working since but am now looking to apply for either vac schemes or training contracts directly.

Conzy, would you be able to give any advice about your application to Linklaters? Would you mind if I messaged you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexbev)
    Hey this might be a stupid question but I just got an email from Jones Day saying that they've requested an academic reference and will review my application and get back to me after receiving this. I was just wondering if this is a generic email that they send to everyone or whether they screen out people before sending this?

Thanks in advance!
    Can I ask when you sent your application in?

ReputationRep:
    Just echoing dlaiden, Conzy and iano - last year's thread was super useful, so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have! I did vac schemes this summer at Clifford Chance and Pinsent Masons, got a TC offer from both, and I've chosen CC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worstusername)
    Just echoing dlaiden, Conzy and iano - last year's thread was super useful, so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have! I did vac schemes this summer at Clifford Chance and Pinsent Masons, got a TC offer from both, and I've chosen CC
    Yaay, CC is awesome! Congrats

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FeminineEminem)
    Can I ask when you sent your application in?
    I think I sent it in on the 8th!*

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Would you recommend applying to a vacation scheme and training contract for the same firm? Also how do you guys decide on which firms you want to do a scheme with and the ones you want to do a training contract with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worstusername)
    Wow that is super impressive!!! Did you apply for a vacation scheme and a training contract for CC at the same time? Also I finished my first year at University of Essex studying llb law with a 71% average, I was in the law society, debate society and much more. This fall, I plan on being involved in more societies and volunteering at legal centres. What else do I need to do to stand out? I really am hoping to get a vacation scheme for summer 2017 and a training contract in 2019 but what are my chances? If my chances are low what can I do to improve my chances? Also Im an international student from North America.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys recommend applying to winter vacation schemes right now? Im going into second year but never did any first year vacation schemes however I was able to pull a first for my first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MimiUNI)
    Hey guys! Would you recommend applying to a vacation scheme and training contract for the same firm? Also how do you guys decide on which firms you want to do a scheme with and the ones you want to do a training contract with?
    There's little point applying for both at the same time unless the firm asks you to.

Apply for vac schemes first see how those applications go, and then apply for training contracts. The exception is if the firms TC deadline is earlier than when the vacation scheme starts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys recommend applying to winter vacation schemes right now? Im going into second year but never did any first year vacation schemes however I was able to pull a first for my first year.
    No - not right now. Most vacation scheme deadlines for you won't be until December/January, and training contract deadlines won't be until the summer. Go to a few careers events in the Autumn at your university, brush up on your knowledge and get an understanding of how these processes work and then apply.

Don't worry about not having done a first year vacation scheme - very few exist and most applicants won't have one on their application at what stage. They will have other work experience though (part time jobs or school/college work experience programmes or volunteer work or summer holiday work).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know it can change, but does anyone know what percentile usually makes the cut for a VRT or WG?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -TheSpecialOne-)
    I know it can change, but does anyone know what percentile usually makes the cut for a VRT or WG?
    From my experience, anywhere between 35 and 75. Any lower and it tends to not filter out enough applicants. Any higher and there are sometimes concerns around diversity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    There's little point applying for both at the same time unless the firm asks you to.

Apply for vac schemes first see how those applications go, and then apply for training contracts. The exception is if the firms TC deadline is earlier than when the vacation scheme starts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What if the summer vacation scheme and training contract deadlines are at the same time for the firm?

ReputationRep:
    What if the summer vacation scheme and training contract deadlines are at the same time for the firm?
    Unlikely if you are a second year student. Vacation schemes for you will be in the summer, the deadlines for which will be in the winter. Training contract deadlines won't be until the summer.

But in an instance where they are the same have a look at the vac scheme to TC ratios and work out which one might be best to go for.

Even if it was me though, I'd prioritise the vac scheme application as it would give me a chance to work at the firm and see if it was for me, and for many will lead to a TC anyway if I was deemed good enough by the firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I might be wrong but it was my understanding that winter vacs are aimed at final year & post grad students anyway summer schemes will be more geared towards your stage of study I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that is super impressive!!! Did you apply for a vacation scheme and a training contract for CC at the same time? Also I finished my first year at University of Essex studying llb law with a 71% average, I was in the law society, debate society and much more. This fall, I plan on being involved in more societies and volunteering at legal centres. What else do I need to do to stand out? I really am hoping to get a vacation scheme for summer 2017 and a training contract in 2019 but what are my chances? If my chances are low what can I do to improve my chances? Also Im an international student from North America.
    Thank you! No, I just applied for the vacation scheme, because I knew they interviewed you at the end for a TC anyway.

Your results and extra-curriculars so far seem to tick all the boxes I think it's worth mentioning, though, that I personally did things a different way. I only decided I wanted to be a lawyer last winter and as such, when applying for vac schemes, I was a non-law student who hadn't really been involved with my uni law soc at all, and had done zero proper debating in my life. I thought all this would put me at a disadvantage but, with hindsight, I think the fact that I had diverse extra-curriculars stood out amongst the hundreds of people helping at legal centres etc. Maybe you could consider doing something like I did, a role that involves organisation and responsibility but doesn't seem immediately law-related. I had been a Head of Entertainment for a small ball, Head of Events for the Modern Languages society and the Secretary and Guest Liaison of another society, just to give you an idea of the kind of things I wrote down. Although I didn't have law in mind when taking up these roles, I found I was able to link them to my interest in law, which seemed to be well received. Do something fun on the side to show you're well-rounded, too! (My choice was the uni cheerleading team, but obviously anything vaguely sporty/recreational counts).

In terms of your chances, as I say, I had good reason to think I had no hope and that turned out to be wrong! As long as you choose firms you're genuinely interested in, can demonstrate why your degree/extra-curriculars have prepared you for a law career, and have confidence in yourself, you have as good a chance as anyone. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Just submitted my Shearman app Does anyone know if they recruit on a rolling basis?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.