Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know how anyone can eat meat :-( Watch

ReputationRep:
    Someone on this thread compared meat eaters to slave masters, I'm done. Meat is delicious, how can anyone NOT eat it is the real question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moira O' Hara1)
    How can you say that you find vegetarians and vegans ignorant- lets just face the facts, it is healthier and it is cheaper to choose this path. I know because I watch what my family buy and what my friends buy.. but how would you know or understand, because you eat meat. No one can truly understand unless they follow that path
    If it's healthier, why are babies left malnourished when their crazy vegan parents refuse to feed them meat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist, who vapes and crossfits 4 times a week. And I'm also a male feminist as I identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog mega multi combo god of hyper death and if you dont agree with me, then you're an ignorant arrogant globaphobic sexist lesbian.
    I love this

Have you ever heard of the food chain?

ReputationRep:
    Not eating meat won't make any difference to what happens in the world. If you want to stop it, you have to go be a politician or some famous respected activist and get people on your side.

In the end we just don't care from the inside and just want to enjoy the good things in life. Out of sight, out of mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I honestly think that in 100 years we'll look back on meat-eaters the same way we look back on slave-owners now. It's a subject that completely doesn't resolve morally if you think that causing suffering is bad. And y'know, most people do.
    Yeah, I do feel that this is something future generations will look back on and see as barbaric. Even as a meat-eater who has actually hunted before, I'm not going to sit here and act like I can logically/morally justify the wholesale breeding and slaughter of sentient creatures for enjoyment, which is essentially what a lot of meat consumption boils down to. Taking other factors into account, such as the ecological impact of mass meat farming, I think you can make an even stronger case against our level of meat consumption.

(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    It so very, very sad and inhumane. Me and my mum were talking about it and it almost brought me to tears again. I can almost feel their fear, and it just upsets me so much.I'm not promoting veganism. I couldn't careless what people eat but I just don't understand HOW they can eat meat knowing where it comes from and knowing the pain behind it all. It blows my mind.But I mean humans kill humans, this world is disgusting so I'm not surprised people eat meat without thinking about it.I don't care for the history, I don't care if my ancestors ate meat to survive etc etc. It's just so disgusting to see this, in out 21st century continue and no-one bats an eyelid. When is it ever okay to cause any living being pain?I'm not an attention seeker, I just feel upset about it.
    People find it easy to eat meat because they're detached from the consequences/reality of a lot of mass meat production or they don't care about it. If I buy a Big Mac, I don't think about the cow that cried after it had its young torn away from it etc. etc.I'll be greatly cutting down my meat intake later in my life, though, due to the reasons I outlined above. It just happens to be a great source of protein for a (soon to be) student on a budget and ethically sourced meats are less of problem, in my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    Same with loads of vegetarian food though. Your argument is a bit like me eating raw cabbage, hating it, and then declaring vegetarian food to be disgusting based on such a plain and unseasoned food item.

I eat meat because it's tasty, nutritious and it's a vital part of a lot of meals. Being a meat eater is simply far easier for me.

Doubt it. The act of eating meat is simply a part of basic biology and provides us with nutrition, even if it is now possible to go without. Slavery is/was not biology in any way. So there's a huge distinction to be made right there.
    That was a part of my argument, not all of it. But it's true, if you eat raw cabbage you will be fine, if you eat raw meat you will get ill. We aren't carnivores, if a lion eats raw meat that is okay because it is a part of his diet and basic biology, we don't need meat to survive.

That says it all really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riketay)
    There is no difference between killing a mosquito and killing a lamb. Neither of them are aware enough to understand why they are being killed, so why does it matter, why would you care?
    I don't kill flies either.

And ofcourse a lamb is aware it is being killed, in the video they weren't all huddling/shaking in fear for no reason. There is a MASSIVE difference between their behaviour in the first part of the video, to the part where each of them are being slaughtered one by one.

ReputationRep:
    Unpopular opinion man here but I like meat. As far as I'm concerned, I'm an omnivore. I eat less meat than I do vegetables or fruit, but I still don't care about eating meat. Show me what you will, heck I've seen way worse than this, but I'll eat meat until there's a perfect substitute with the exact same taste at the exact same price.

I know it's not carbon friendly, I know it's unfair to the animals, but I'll still eat meat.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwel...ghter/factfile

Buy meat from Britain, most animals don't feel pain from their death due to being stunned, the only time animals are not stunned is for Jews and Muslims so just buy normal British meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    Yeah, I do feel that this is something future generations will look back on and see as barbaric. Even as a meat-eater who has actually hunted before, I'm not going to sit here and act like I can logically/morally justify the wholesale breeding and slaughter of sentient creatures for enjoyment, which is essentially what a lot of meat consumption boils down to. Taking other factors into account, such as the ecological impact of mass meat farming, I think you can make an even stronger case against our level of meat consumption.

People find it easy to eat meat because they're detached from the consequences/reality of a lot of mass meat production or they don't care about it. If I buy a Big Mac, I don't think about the cow that cried after it had its young torn away from it etc. etc.I'll be greatly cutting down my meat intake later in my life, though, due to the reasons I outlined above. It just happens to be a great source of protein for a (soon to be) student on a budget and ethically sourced meats are less of problem, in my eyes.
    That is exactly what I wanted to hear, I respect you a lot for typing that out.

Yes it is true, we are detached because when it's on your plate you don't see it as ever having life, you never saw it alive and most of us don't see cows and chickens on a daily basis.

That is the same reason why people get disgusted at the thought of eating dog because we see dogs on an almost daily basis, and many have them as pets.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's deluded to think meat eating will be in the minority in the future.

People can choose to eat meat, people can choose to not.

Personally i like eating meat and i have been in a slaughter house. I'm aware where my food comes from having grown up on a farm and still live in an area surrounded by farms.

All my lambs were burnt due to foot and mouth. Burnt right in front of me.

Their death was nothing to do with my meat consumption. Yes, they were bred to ultimately be eaten but nature took them rather barbarically away.

The animal kingdom is pretty rough. Going vegitarian won't make those lovely cute foxes not maul the chickens next door.
    It won't stop the crows picking at the severed body of a rabbit.
    It is what it is.

I think we have to try and be as humane as possible but we need to kill it to eat it so that's that.

All my pets are going to get old and unfortunately die. It's life.

However, people can abstain from eating meat. That's genuinely fine by me but if they push it in front of my face and try and shame others for eating meat, then that will annoy me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    We aren't carnivores
    Stopped reading there, you're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedioCentro97)
    Someone on this thread compared meat eaters to slave masters, I'm done. Meat is delicious, how can anyone NOT eat it is the real question.
    Think you're referring to me mate. Not an isolated opinion though, you can see the similarities in both cases. Don't have to take it from me, intellectuals far far smarter than me have agreed on eating meat being comparable to slavery.

ReputationRep:
    firstly, you haven't saved any animals by not eating them, even if you don't eat them, there still going to be killed and someone will buy there meat.
    secondly, you clearly don't know how to cook meat and what to eat it with if it is plain, also if you were born about 20,000 years ago, then you would starve to death.
    thirdly, its only natural that those lambs are scared, if they were not scared in the natural world where they have to find food for themselves then they would die, but we are far more intelligent than them so we are farming them, its basic evolution.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 0range;[url="tel:67251036")
    67251036[/url]]Think you're referring to me mate. Not an isolated opinion though, you can see the similarities in both cases. Don't have to take it from me, intellectuals far far smarter than me have agreed on eating meat being comparable to slavery.
    People who are biased/have vested interests.

There are v clever people who are racist.

There are very very clever people who believe in God.

There are very very clever people who refute any notion of a god.

What is your point? (Bar trying to score points and have a childish dig at someone who does something you don't like ie eats meat)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    As much as i like you TOMH i do have to say i feel that this thread comes across as a little naive.

Firstly, and i hate to say this, i think this is a very london sort of view, i.e people who live in the cities and never really see meat beyond the cellophane wrappers it comes in.First of all i totally agree that intensive farming and many slaughter houses (such as halal sorry not sorry) are incredibly inhumane but i dont think that really boycotting the product is the answer tbh. This would only mean (theoretically if enough people did it ) that the scrupulous farmers would lose out as it is more expensive to rear animals free range or organically (and organically isnt even better half the time as it just means that animals are denied drugs half the time but anyway).

Ik you say you are vegan so at least you aren't hypocritical but i honestly think that vegetarian/ pescatarian is the most ridiculous notion. For instance intensive fishing is actually very damaging to the environment as it is technically a 'wild' product and can be easily driven to extinction. Fish farms aren't much better as often they are unsanitary and crowded and trawling destroys the seabed. Therefore i dont understand people who think they are morally superior for only eating fish and anyway fish feel pain so why is a fishes life less important than that of a cow or a chicken? because they are less cute perhaps? ill leave that thought there.

I have a friend who lives on a farm and i myself live in the countryside and this friend kills and eats her own animals. why? because they know how they are raised and that they have had good lives, i personally have no issue whatsoever with this and i think it is admirable that they take the effort to do this and are really in touch with where their food comes from rather than just picking it up from the local supermarket. With regards to eggs many people keep chickens as pets (often rescued battery chickens) so if you want ethically sourced eggs either buy them from free range suppliers such as the cooperative or buy them from the local farm shop (if there are any in london) or from people you know who keep their own chickens.
    not only do they taste better (better yolks) they are responsibly sourced.

I think it would annoy greatly some of the farmer i know that take great pride and care to ensure that their animals are well looked after and theoretically if they are stunned before slaughter then they shouldn't feel too much pain during this process and there are laws to ensure that heard animals such as sheep are not killed in front of each other. Now you are probably going to ask whether i am vegetarian because i love animals and the answer to that is no.The reason being as above with regards to vegetarians and also because i hardly eat meat at all anyway mainly because i find it quite boring and heavy, the only exception being steak really and i cant remember the last time i even had that.

With regards to dairy i am inclined to agree with you, it would be naive to think that all our milk came from maids sitting on stalls milking cows however the intensive mass production of milk is actually no good for anyone, especially the farmer. Milk is now cheaper than water due to its abundance. Many cows are put in far too much demand which can lead to mastitis as well as the veal trade as after all male calves are useless to the industry.

Ideally i would not drink milk and i am well aware that there are milk substitutes, almond soya etc which i would consider but as someone going to uni next year and looking at the very real possibility of not being to afford very much im not really going to fork out for that.i think this thread kind of strikes me as a 'can afford to have a conscious' sort of thing, which whilst admirable is slightly idealistic.That's just my take on it anyway, ppl are allowed to agree or disagree
    How did it come across naive? I have provided a video also to exaggerate my point. Now we could argue back and forth about British slaughterhouses/halal slaughterhouses and how many animals are stunned or not. But as I said before, there is also dairy production that is an issue which you have agreed with me on.

The thing is, not everywhere has a local farm where the cows died "happily", I don't have a local farm shop near me and the closest one is about an hour away. Most of us buy meat from the supermarket so that means slaughterhouses will continue, and I know it has been mentioned that there are laws surrounding slaughterhouses in Britain but no-one can be sure every slaughter house is following the law, and also halal/kosher slaughter are clearly not.

You mentioned prices, today in asda and I'm only going by what I saw today, my carton of rice milk was £1.29 and a carton of semi-skimmed 6pt milk was £1.30. Also Flora original is £1.70 and the vegan alternative flora is also £1.70. The prices really don't vary, I was surprised by that also because I assumed vegan things cost a lot more, they actually do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    It's deluded to think meat eating will be in the minority in the future.

People can choose to eat meat, people can choose to not.

Personally i like eating meat and i have been in a slaughter house. I'm aware where my food comes from having grown up on a farm and still live in an area surrounded by farms.

All my lambs were burnt due to foot and mouth. Burnt right in front of me.

Their death was nothing to do with my meat consumption. Yes, they were bred to ultimately be eaten but natire took them rather barbarically away.

The animal kingdom is pretty rough. Going vegitarian won't make those lovely cute foxes not maul the chickens next door.
    It won't stop the crows picking at the severed body of a rabbit.
    It is what it is.

I think we have to try and be as humane as possible but we need to kill it to eat it so that's that.

All my pets are going to get old and unfortunately die. It's life.

However, people can abstain from eating meat. That's genuinely fine by me but if they push it in front of my face and try and shame others for eating meat, then that will annoy me
    I've seen foot and mouth on lambs. It's nasty to look at.

And your farm is really nice.

ReputationRep:
    For the same reasons slavery was /is a thing.

(Original post by Rakas21)
    I am a predator and the animals are my prey.
    You're a fatty that waddles into TESCO and picks it off the shelf.

(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    Slavery is/was not biology in any way.
    So you are saying slavery is supernatural? An animal dominating another animal of the same species as it seems biological to me.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty those Animals were born to be eaten so as long as there is no brutality for No real reason (People just hurting Livestock for Fun) I see no problem with Slaughter houses as long as my meat comes out good I am happy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.