Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's bloody marvelous to be BRITISH- The Thread of Britishness. Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Napp)
    Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves. Britons never will be slaves!
    apart from, you know, all them people that we made slaves.

(Original post by cookie123456789)
    Long live the British Empire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    eeeew.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by stillridin)
    I'm not remotely proud to be part of country that in the past systematically slaughtered hundreds of thousands of indigenous peoples and actively promotes an outdated, partially undemocratic government.

However, that does not mean I am adverse to living here, I have great friends here and incredible memories, but I would never call myself a "proud Englishman" or any such mindless ****

I'd much prefer to be stateless
    same.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jee1)
    There is nothing to be proud off having visited other countries this country isn't that special anymore.
    My reasons

Bad public transport
    Reserved people
    Bad healthcare yes the NHS isn't all that when compared to the quality of healthcare at other countries
    Bad food
    Class system no other country has a class system
    Royal family hello it's 2016 not the 15th century

Sorry Brits but you aint that special anymore

everywhere has a class system you cockmongerel
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Phew, I guess I'm not British then
    LOL
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Though they may deny it, Ireland will always be part of us. They are our brethren.
    Unionist scum. Is the rest of the Empire part of us too? The British invaded, raped, slaughtered, divided and then discriminated against the Irish and the Catholics. I’ll admit that the IRA committed some bad **** too but the British started it by dividing and subsequently conquering the Irish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)

eeeew.
    Why eeew?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why eeew?
    Imperialism. It did some good, obviously, but took people’s right to self-determination away, as well as their basic cultural and civil rights.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    x
    Just quoted a Unionist. Argument may unfold, so you’d best be here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    There is nothing to be proud off having visited other countries this country isn't that special anymore.
    My reasons

Bad public transport
    Reserved people
    Bad healthcare yes the NHS isn't all that when compared to the quality of healthcare at other countries
    Bad food
    Class system no other country has a class system
    Royal family hello it's 2016 not the 15th century

Sorry Brits but you aint that special anymore

Transport - Define bad transport?
    Reserved people - You've clearly only been to touristy areas, probably where you get yourideas about our transport.
    NHS - It's free, WTF do you expect??? Most countries don't even offer free healthcare, let alone care as comprehensive as the NHS. It's no wonder they're overused and therefore struggling. If you want better care, go private - private care here is as good as any other place in the world.
    Food - Given that the majority of our food is foreign in origin, by your logic the entire world has crap food.
    Class system - most places have a class system - we're just not ashamed to embrace it.

ReputationRep:
    You make it sound like Britain was the only country using slaves. We abolished slavery in 1833, France in 1848, Brazil in 1888 and Portugal in 1858. Of course slavery is disgusting and never acceptable but the British were not the only ones using it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TomTheImp)
    You make it sound like Britain was the only country using slaves. We abolished slavery in 1833, France in 1848, Brazil in 1888 and Portugal in 1858. Of course slavery is disgusting and never acceptable but the British were not the only ones using it.
    Of course, you’re right. However, I don’t think it should excuse us from the fact that we still used it, and to a wide scale considering we colonised ~25% of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Transport - Define bad transport?
    Reserved people - You've clearly only been to touristy areas, probably where you get yourideas about our transport.
    NHS - It's free, WTF do you expect??? Most countries don't even offer free healthcare, let alone care as comprehensive as the NHS. It's no wonder they're overused and therefore struggling. If you want better care, go private - private care here is as good as any other place in the world.
    Food - Given that the majority of our food is foreign in origin, by your logic the entire world has crap food.
    Class system - most places have a class system - we're just not ashamed to embrace it.
    Even if it wasn't foreign in origin, British food would still be world class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Even if it wasn't foreign in origin, British food would still be world class.
    Quite telling that a lot of the world's top and most traveled chefs are British. Really, the "bad food" stereotype is so outdated, a bit like the bad teeth stereotype since Britain now has one of the greatest dental systems in the world.

ReputationRep:

eeeew.
    Some people are never happy.

ReputationRep:
    I know but it was still a great show wasn't it?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know I've never watched it, I've watched blackadder though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Napp)
    Some people are never happy.
    indeed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.