Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Death Penalty is **** and I don't see how a human suddenly has the authority to take someone else's life.

Ohhh I forgot, power, capitalism, selfishness, arrogance etc.

Attitude wise, the death penalty is winding back the clock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    Thats why I'm undecided as to whether or not the death penalty is good or not.
    But you voted for it in the polls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    More violent crimes are commited by people who have less money so therefor it is likely that more murders are going to be committed by people with less money. So tackle poverty and theoretically the number of murders should decrease. Also people who have less money are less likely to be able to afford a good lawyer who can

a) Get them found not guilty
    b) stop them from being put on death row

All in all this means that there are likely to be a higher number of people who live in poverty on death row.
    Do they have the Rule of Law over there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Do they have the Rule of Law over there?
    Rule of law?

ReputationRep:
    Rule of law?
    That everyone is treated equally and all the rules apply basically. No one person is above the Law.

ReputationRep:
    That everyone is treated equally and all the rules apply basically. No one person is above the Law.
    Unfortunately it doesn't always work like that. Good lawyers can get people off on a technicality and richer people can afford better lawyers. It will never be a level playing field.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it doesn't always work like that. Good lawyers can get people off on a technicality and richer people can afford better lawyers. It will never be a level playing field.
    I know. It's not a concept that I feel that exists, just a mere theory. But we could try and make it a level playing field as much as possible, though nothing can be perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    No but it's also not justification for a harsher punishment which is what the other posters were pointing out is the current situation.
    So you're saying.. the lower the class the harsher the punishment?

ReputationRep:
    But you voted for it in the polls!
    hmm.. yeah.. in a previous post I mentioned that. I don't remember why I voted for it. *shrugs* damn this american memory span!

ReputationRep:
    hmm.. yeah.. in a previous post I mentioned that. I don't remember why I voted for it. *shrugs* damn this american memory span!
    If you voted against it, being where you reside, you could have stood out from the majority at your country and be with the majority here!

ReputationRep:
    If you voted against it, being where you reside, you could have stood out from the majority at your country and be with the majority here!
    Why do you think most people from America are FOR the death penalty? I am.. both ways. But its difficult to say which I am more leaning towards..

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think most people from America are FOR the death penalty? I am.. both ways. But its difficult to say which I am more leaning towards..
    Because they all live in fear that a black man will smash down their door and shoot them, a distorted view given to them by the media

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    Because they all live in fear that a black man will smash down their door and shoot them, a distorted view given to them by the media
    We don't fear black people here. Hell.. over half my friends are either black or molatto.. can never spell that word.
    I live in an ethnically diverse part of the state. (most) People here get along with every race, color, and creed. Of course we have some types of prejudice.. as you will find in the elder part of our population... but what can you do?
    I'm not sure.. but I don't think NYS has the death penalty anymore. *ponders*

ReputationRep:
    The death penalty.. Justified... or injust?
    shouldn't that be unjust?

ReputationRep:
    I think if you have commited murder then the death penalty is an easy way out.

If someone I fcared about was murdered I'd want the murderer to sit in a prison and rot, not sit in prison for 20 years denying the crime and appealing and being in the public eye, but just put away and forgotten about.

ReputationRep:
    We don't fear black people here. Hell.. over half my friends are either black or molatto.. can never spell that word.
    What does "molatto" mean I have never heard that word before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    shouldn't that be unjust?
    pssht.. *shrugs* I was in a hurry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    I think if you have commited murder then the death penalty is an easy way out.

If someone I fcared about was murdered I'd want the murderer to sit in a prison and rot, not sit in prison for 20 years denying the crime and appealing and being in the public eye, but just put away and forgotten about.
    always the possibility of innocence unless of course he is found standing above the body with a bloody knife in his hand screaming i'm glad i killed him

ReputationRep:
    Anyone see Picking Up The Pieces on Channel 4 today about Robert Brown? This can illustrate the penalties for sending people to prison for long terms for crimes they never committed.

ReputationRep:
    What does "molatto" mean I have never heard that word before?
    mulatto - of white and black skinned parents.

think, light-brown women in hiphop videos.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.