Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    It prevents premature death when considering the lifespan as a whole. Children who have cancer can live their whole life as opposed to only like 15-20 years, that's a big difference for many people rather than just "few years"
    Sounds a bit shallow... A speeding truck could also end a child's life prematurely, why not do away with that? A child can get killed in a drive by shooting, why not do away with those? Why don't you just get rid of fatal illnesses altogether? Why not just all ailments period?

It would be an arbitrary decision.

ReputationRep:
    What I'm doing already
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Megadogyourmom)
    Sounds a bit shallow... A speeding truck could also end a child's life prematurely, why not do away with that? A child can get killed in a drive by shooting, why not do away with those? Why don't you just get rid of fatal illnesses altogether? Why not just all ailments period?

It would be an arbitrary decision.
    Those are all possibilities of death open to anyone and everyone. I wouldn't want to get rid off all the fatal diseases, only the incurable ones at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fardm76)
    in fact i don't wanna be him .............. but if i were in his shoes i would finish this world ................ i mean i would destroy his creation ............. wow! how bad i am !............... does he have any shoes at all ? to be in it
    Are u Ok??No one can be like God

ReputationRep:
    Those are all possibilities of death open to anyone and everyone. I wouldn't want to get rid off all the fatal diseases, only the incurable ones at the moment.
    But Why?
    Where do you draw the line between surviving and death?

I'm just trying to understand your reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    you are a great god i love dinosaurs .
    Never,he is/you are not great God because only Who create the heaven and earth that the lord.He should be God.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by HelpusPleasus)
    But Why?
    Where do you draw the line between surviving and death?

I'm just trying to understand your reasoning.
    What do you mean by the line between surviving and death?

I would just cure the incurable diseases, the rest of the possibilities of death can stay because they are much more tangible than the incurable diseases, and can be avoided as well as prevented quite easily. I don't know what else you want me to say, I can't quite explain exactly why I view these diseases are more severe than anything else. Just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    For any Star Trek geeks out there:

I'd behave like Q and start ****ing with people big time.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by the line between surviving and death?

I would just cure the incurable diseases, the rest of the possibilities of death can stay because they are much more tangible than the incurable diseases, and can be avoided as well as prevented quite easily. I don't know what else you want me to say, I can't quite explain exactly why I view these diseases are more severe than anything else. Just my opinion.
    Well you've said you'd stop Cancer and HIV and Aids but nothing else. If someone had been hit by a car for instance, they might die, they might not.
    If they are suffering why would you cure someone with Cancer and HIV/AIDS and not them.
    At what point do you draw the line and say the person must die because you wouldn't cure that "problem"/ailment?

If that makes any sense.

ReputationRep:
    I would punch myself in the face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akaliya)
    Never,he is/you are not great God because only Who create the heaven and earth that the lord.He should be God.
    you are wrong ! i didn't make this thread to prove that we can be a god (the god) while i made it to prove that :
    WE CAN NOT BE HIM !
    we don't even know him .............. we don't have any idea , where the hell we are?We do not know what the purpose of creation is ?so how are we gonna be god ?
    Now i ask you .................. forget all these things ........... and tell me !if you were god , what would you do ?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    if i were him i would finish this world because I CAN NOT BE HIM !
    if i didn't finish this world on purpose , i would destroy it inadvertently !
    because I CAN NOT CONTROL THIS UNIVERSE ON MY OWN !
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by HelpusPleasus)
    Well you've said you'd stop Cancer and HIV and Aids but nothing else. If someone had been hit by a car for instance, they might die, they might not.
    If they are suffering why would you cure someone with Cancer and HIV/AIDS and not them.
    At what point do you draw the line and say the person must die because you wouldn't cure that "problem"/ailment?

If that makes any sense.
    Because there is always a chance of survival post accidents such as a car crash. With those diseases, there is not.

ReputationRep:
    in fact i don't wanna be him .............. but if i were in his shoes i would finish this world ................ i mean i would destroy his creation ............. wow! how bad i am !............... does he have any shoes at all ? to be in it
    I'm already a God
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I would up the 1/7 days resting to 7/7.

ReputationRep:
    you are wrong ! i didn't make this thread to prove that we can be a god (the god) while i made it to prove that :
    WE CAN NOT BE HIM !
    we don't even know him .............. we don't have any idea , where the hell we are?We do not know what the purpose of creation is ?so how are we gonna be god ?
    Now i ask you .................. forget all these things ........... and tell me !if you were god , what would you do ?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    if i were him i would finish this world because I CAN NOT BE HIM !
    if i didn't finish this world on purpose , i would destroy it Inadvertently !
    because I CAN NOT MANAGE THIS UNIVERSE ON MY OWN !
    I will never be going to think like God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akaliya)
    I will never be going to think like God.
    Anyway , thanks for your answer !

ReputationRep:
    Because there is always a chance of survival post accidents such as a car crash. With those diseases, there is not.
    I don't know the statistics but many people do recover from cancer. It then comes back several years later though.

ReputationRep:
    It almost seems like a self contradicting question, since when we say "If I were you I would...." we tend to mean if I was in that situation given my personality and abilities I would do this, that or the other, therefore asserting that you would do something you believed were better, now if you were given God's position with your abilities (knowledge, strength...etc) you'd mess it all up in less than a sec, it's all too much to handle for a man with a Godly position, but if you were to say that you had the abilities also, then that would mean that your personality would most likely dissolve, being all-knowing and all-powerful all the right decisions would be made in the frame of that which was created by God, leaving no place for whims or personal mistakes, after the frame has been decided, now what I believe you mean is that since God is first and nothing precedes him what would you do from that position of being first, well it is an unbounded existence, as a human I can only imagine it being a nihilistic existence, which is why all religions praise the Lord and express gratitude to him as we could've simply been created in an illogical, mad existence with no rules whatsoever, or straight into punishment for no reason, and who then could say no to he who is unprecedented by anything?!
    Take some mathematical and logical proofs for example, they make sense, they are correct, why? everyone's clueless, it's like they're bounded to nothing, they simply are true, this drove many logicians, mathematicians and philosophers mad, the very rules that govern the universe have no rules to set them, so it seems quite clear to me that there are no rules, the rules were created by God, there is no reason they should actually exist, how? No idea Why? God chose to and did so.
    So an answer to your question from my view would be, don't know, I am human, limited, finite, bounded, as you have seen in many answers, it's women, sex, superpowers...etc, God is unlimited, all powerful, infinite, boundless, it is an existence that I can't even imagine, let alone contemplate, let's just be thankful that this world actually makes sense and be the best we can according to that which we believe is the best we can be.

ReputationRep:
    I'll give everyone superpowers and see what happnes

ReputationRep:
    Despite identifying as an atheist one of the most interesting conversations I have had in life came from a Sikh I mention that because the parable he told me may well have come from his specific faith. Though it may not of I do not know.

Brief synopsis the parable goes like this, an old man approaches some young men and says "follow me, follow my ways and do what I say and I promise in the after life you can have whatever you want."
    So the young men agree and follow this old man until death. when they die they ascend into the clouds and find a golden gate where the same old man is waiting he opens the gates and says "as promised whatever you want for all eternity is yours."

so the men go on for thousands of years getting whatever they want whenever they want instantly at first they are having a great time but then they get bored, they start to get fed up. One man among the group says " this is boring, there is nothing for us to seek now I would rather be back on earth." then another says " I would rather be in hell" the old man turns round and says "where do you think you are?"

The point been that the idea of eternal perfection is not something anyone should want because the Joy in life is seeking and growing achieving what we had to fight for learning and advancing. If I could be god what a horrible fate an eternity of boredom with nothing to fight for nothing to strife for no sense of accomplishment or joy, a life devoid of meaning.

Christianity speaks of the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross and whilst I do not believe in any of that, If there were a god the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross would just be a metaphor for the eternal and ultimate sacrifice of god by his/her mere being. The perpetual endless hell that God must endure.

No one capable of thinking it through would ever wish to be god. If I became God I would seek the end of my own existence or my rebirth starting over again.

Further we only see the world through our lenses we often miss the bigger picture we think that we are all that matters, the universe is a big place I doubt we are the only thinking beings.

part of the limits on the likelihood of us finding intelligent beings in the future is the risk that maybe intelligence usually only lasts for so long before they destroy themselves. However if you have a basic grasp of probability you would realize that with such large numbers comes way too many dice rolls however rare an intelligent civilization that survives the great filter of self destruction would surely emerge multiple times with a mentality that was not so self destructive. when we look at evolution most species go extinct whilst the more adapted/suitable survive. should this principle really stop when we reach intelligence? Or is part of the cosmic evolution merely that only a select few intelligent civilizations survive to spread. If there was a god perhaps his design would be the essence of evolution alone.

So if I was god I would not interfere because that is not the natural way, it is for humanity to survive or fail based on the choices it makes collectively. Why curse the Cosmos with a corrupt beings? Why deny any the chance however slim for them to achieve greatness and survive through eons? As soon as a god intervened he would ruin the perfection that is.

Thus the real reason I identify as an atheist is not due to not believing (I am undecided and cannot verify either way) but more because God if they did exist would surely be an irrelevance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grimm Reaper)
    I'll give everyone superpowers and see what happnes
    you must be careful ............ they might take power away from you if you gave them superpowers !
    Spoiler:
    Show

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.