Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamthelaw1)
    Subtly being rude won't help you. Were you looking for some attention? I'll give you some if you need some....
    Nah mate, don't you know because one supposed Oxbridge student was racist it means all Oxbridge students are basically neo-Nazis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    Some silly things in this thread I find myself disagreeing with near all sides.

1. Oxbridge is a big deal and will greatly enhance your employment prospects, as things currently stand some moves by particular employers and shifts in public attitude threaten this. Should that go further I fear for the very future of this country. However I don't want to derail this thread with that.
    Can you please elaborate on this? I don't think that'd derail the thread as it is quite relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowsybun)
    I want to know if anyone has this, or if anyone could help me out.

I've developed this complex recently that only Oxbridge is good enough, and all other unis are rubbish. I know it's unhealthy to think that way- I think it's probably due to me wanting to prove myself to my family? They're all ridiculously high achieving and all that, and I feel like I'd be a disappointment unless I got into Oxbridge, even if I got into one of the other Russel Group unis. Becuase I fell back in one of my As papers, thus severely weakening my grade (which would have been very good if it were just the coursework), unfortunately... Cambridge isn't in my sights anymore (though I'm still going to try applying)

Does anyone have any ideas that I could get over this complex? Or are any of you are suffering from the same thing?
    I was in the exact same boat. I'm now in my third year of a degree at Oxford and I'm as stressed and anxious as ever - I'm applying for postgrad and would feel like I failed if I didn't stay at Ox. The perfection complex I've developed is unhealthy and has only gotten worse by being in Oxbridge... If I didn't get in I'd be forced to face the fact that there is a life outside of these two unis, but as I find myself in Ox I feel a huge amount of pressure to stay here and to be the best at everything I do... I don't think it's sustainable in the long run.

Save yourself the heartache (and physical chest pains which are a symptom of my severe anxiety that I've developed since being here)*
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    I was in the exact same boat. I'm now in my third year of a degree at Oxford and I'm as stressed and anxious as ever - I'm applying for postgrad and would feel like I failed if I didn't stay at Ox. The perfection complex I've developed is unhealthy and has only gotten worse by being in Oxbridge... If I didn't get in I'd be forced to face the fact that there is a life outside of these two unis, but as I find myself in Ox I feel a huge amount of pressure to stay here and to be the best at everything I do... I don't think it's sustainable in the long run.

Save yourself the heartache (and physical chest pains which are a symptom of my severe anxiety that I've developed since being here)*
    TBH it really sounds like doing your postgrad elsewhere would be a good idea. Maybe even outside the UK? A complete change of scene may do you good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Can you please elaborate on this? I don't think that'd derail the thread as it is quite relevant.
    okay I can elaborate briefly but if you want to go into detail on that conversation it is probably best to start another thread for it rather then take this one of topic.

Whilst it is not yet main stream some groups actually dislike Oxbridge candidates and some people see it as privilege. with all the political correctness going around some groups feel smugly just when they select a candidate over an Oxbridge candidate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...cants-resumes/

"To try to correct that problem, Deloitte's U.K. business announced Monday that it will begin using a school-blind hiring process to help address unconscious bias. As it recruits its next crop of 1,500 entry-level employees and junior associates out of school—roughly half of the 3,000 employees it hires each year in the United Kingdom are new graduates—the professional services firm plans to "hide" education pedigree from its recruiters and interviewers up until an offer has been made, unless the applicant actively chooses to disclose it. "

Basically they are using software that will hide where you got your degree from in order to select what they see as more fair, because in there opinion people that go to Oxbridge have more privilege. I have serious problems with this anti elitism, the fact is to get in and then to get a quality degree from Oxbridge requires natural ability and a lot of hard work. Where as to get into and get a quality degree from some universities in the UK requires neither hard work or talent. with the rise of the politically correct SJW left wing in the future it may be that degrees are not allowed to display which university you went to, just the grade obtained.

also if more employers follow this path and it becomes main stream that is a threat.

hopefully this does not spread, because if it did it would mean that rather then seek to work hard and go to a top university the best strategy for employment would be to go to as far down the ranks as you can so you can get on a course where you can get 2/1-1st with little to no effort rather then getting into a top university and working your ass off to get only the same result.

As things currently stand a 2:1 from a Russel group University puts you in higher steed then a 2:1 from a polytechnic, and a 2:1 from Oxbridge puts you in higher steed then a 2:1 from Russel group.

And that is how it should be, I think that is only fair and just. However we should be aware of the potential risk faced in future.

ReputationRep:
    Some silly things in this thread I find myself disagreeing with near all sides.

1. Oxbridge is a big deal and will greatly enhance your employment prospects, as things currently stand some moves by particular employers and shifts in public attitude threaten this. Should that go further I fear for the very future of this country. However I don't want to derail this thread with that.

I am sure you can great great jobs with Degrees from other institutions, and I am sure some employers would have good reason to pick a non Oxbridge candidate if there were other factors.

However any employer who was just as happy with a 2:1 from (insert random poly) as from Oxbridge clearly does not understand the difference. in most cases your not getting 2:1 or better without working 45+ hours a week at Oxbridge. At a lot of polytechnics you can pull this of with 10 hours, I am really not kidding.

when it comes to top Russel group unis it is conceivable that for certain subjects they can come close to match or even beat Oxbridge. However unless your potential employer is aware of this and is in the specific field the rep of Oxbridge would do you more favors.

2. The notion that students who go to Oxbridge are a superior caliber of students. if we are talking about as an aggregate average then sure this will likely hold true.

However many top students get rejected and still achieve straight A*s, and could well be smarter and harder working then those that successfully gain a place.

to assume that they always select the best every time without fail is to assume that the Oxbridge admissions team are infallible. Newsflash they may well be highly intelligent but they are not Gods. They can and will make mistakes or have imperfections in their choices.

Some highly talented/able students will not pick OxBridge for good reasons such as the course not been relevant to what they want to pursue. Different courses offer different course material and some do not even have a course for the specific topic. This does not always mean that is a mickey mouse degree it can be a highly specific degree.
    At last some common sense in here. All I know is if I had read threads like this as a Yr 13 last year, as someone from a state school with no real knowledge of the " Oxbridge * thing I would have thought " not my type, don't think I''ll bother". I was rejected BTW but still went on to achieve A*A*A*A*. Your point 2 rings a bell but that's not for now., and it's OK being a rejectee! 😜
    To all going through UCAS out there. Don't obsess over Oxford/Cambridge/imperial but if you have a chance of getting the grades APPLY. If you don't buy a ticket you can't win the raffle.
    We on TSR are not your typical students ( this is not meant to insult anyone). It will be one of your five choices so have a go but don't stress it.
    A*A*A*
    A*A*A
    A*AA
    AAA
    Interview scores 8,7,6. Who cares? Slight variations on the day!
    Yr 13 have a go at any of these universities, they are all rather good and ( Warwick, Manchester, Newcastle etc I could go on and on) 😀

ReputationRep:
    (..)
    Thanks for explaining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 210555)
    (..)
    If you don't mind me asking, what course are you now doing and at which university?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.