Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Black 13 Year Old Shot Dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Of those killed in police shootings in America, 49% are white and 24% are black. Whites in America are 62% of the population while blacks are 13%. So black people are somewhat over-represented.
    Of those killed in police shootings in America 24% are black, while they commit over half of homicides, so blacks are somewhat underrepresented.

Black on white robbery is more than 12 times as common as white on black.

More than 3 times as many black gang members as white gang members, despite the latter group as a whole being nearly 5 times the size, a random black is 15 times as likely to be a gang member as a random white.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Of those killed in police shootings in America, 49% are white and 24% are black. Whites in America are 62% of the population while blacks are 13%. So black people are somewhat over-represented.

But what the figures don't really show are how many of those shootings are, quote unquote, "justified". For example, the murder rate in Chicago is absolutely astronomical because of black people killing black people in drug-related violence. In fact there was an excellent BBC short on it (about 15 minutes)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37292306

Chicago, with a population of around 6 million, had 540 murders last year. The entire UK with a population around ten times that had around 520 murders. So there are significant economic issues in black communities, which might make police more likely to shoot.

Overall the "race" issue in America is one that has to be tackled economically. And the issue of American police being too trigger happy has to be addressed. But I do not accept there is some kind of racist conspiracy by police to murder black people, iirc there was a study showing black police officers are just as likely to shoot black people as white police officers.
    Poor stat police don't go round shooting random people they shoot criminals/suspects and when blacks commit around half of violent crime I would say they are under represented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Attachment 581250Interesting...
    Will need to find a legit source to back this up.
    Posted by Shaun King, the wannabe black guy. Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Wow
    Video shows unarmed man with hands up being shot in Oklahoma - Sky News
    https://apple.news/ARnWk6E9ySlC69X_dWYtUCw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Wow
    Video shows unarmed man with hands up being shot in Oklahoma - Sky News
    https://apple.news/ARnWk6E9ySlC69X_dWYtUCw
    "It is not clear from the footage what led Betty Shelby, the officer who fired the fatal shot, to draw her gun or what orders officers might have given Mr Crutcher."

How about "Stop or I'll shoot" because the officer was concerned that a gun may have been in the car.

Would YOU take the chance if in the officer's shoes?

ReputationRep:
    I have a problem with all excessive/unlawful use of force but the stats show no racial group gets disproportionately zapped :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    Posted by Shaun King, the wannabe black guy. Pathetic.
    He can't even get his race right so I'm not sure how reliable the source is.

ReputationRep:
    Well, he’s got his hands up there for her now,” one of the men says as Crutcher moves towards the vehicle.“Time for Taser, I think,” the other responds.“Got a feeling that’s about to happen.” “That looks like a bad dude, too. Could be on something.”The camera zooms in as Crutcher falls, his white top covered in blood.
    Activists channel anger after latest Tulsa police shooting of unarmed black man - the guardianhttps://apple.news/Am-MwqeClRmWe7r-LSRsCWQ

For how long will people continue to make excuses for cold murderers?

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.