Need to decide by tommorrow if I want to take my hijab off

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Take it off if you want to.
    Don't take it off if you don't want to. It's as simple as that
    exactly, why is she making a big deal out of nothing. Her sister gets wolf whistled at? yeah i'm white and i get that all the time, all you do is ignore it lol. If her mums fine with it then who gives a ****?

FML guys I took it off and went to the enrolment at uni again. It was the worst. I saw EVERYONE I knew. They stared at me and one of the guys I know came up to me and said wtf happened to you..I just wanted to crawl into a hole because of the embarassment. I caved in and put my scarf on in the toilets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My sisters say I should take it off. They say that in the long term its more of a hinderance. Personally, I'm in two minds. Part of me wants to take it off but another part wants to just keep it on because life is easier that way. A friend of mine said to me that my argument to keep it on never once mentioned religion so clearly I'm not wearing it for god so I should take it off but idk what to do guys. I still haven't uploaded a uni photo for my enrolment tommorrow because I don't know if should upload one with or without my scarf
    pick the easy option

(Original post by Angry Bird)
    pick the easy option
    Even if its something I don't believe in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    Blind conformity is better then informed choice
    Islamic logic in a nutshell :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well it was always going to be difficult at first, but if you can get past the initial transition then it should begin to get a lot easier

ReputationRep:
    FML guys I took it off and went to the enrolment at uni again. It was the worst. I saw EVERYONE I knew. They stared at me and one of the guys I know came up to me and said wtf happened to you..I just wanted to crawl into a hole because of the embarassment. I caved in and put my scarf on in the toilets
    I've been following this thread despite having nothing to contribute (no relative knowledge) and checked in to see what you had decided. That sounds like such an awful experience and I'm so sorry you had to face that. I hope you won't let this one experience completely deter you altogether if it's what you want to do. If you don't want to wear it then others will just have to get used to seeing you without it. If they have a problem with it then that's their problem; not yours. Be brave. Best of luck. :hugs:

PS: that guy deserves a slap.

ReputationRep:
    It's none of his business what you choose to do. He deserves a slap for being so nosy and nasty. Ignore it OP. It's your choice and at the end of the day your wellbeing matters the most. Not the opinions of some judgemental Muslims from your community

ReputationRep:
    Why are you embarrassed exactly?

(Original post by Josb)
    Why are you embarrassed exactly?
    He said it as if he was sneering at me. Like 'eww wtf happened to you' sort of thing. Then the other hijabis looked over at me and they stared wide eyed at me and I just felt so small so I put it on in the toilets

(Original post by sinfonietta)
    I've been following this thread despite having nothing to contribute (no relative knowledge) and checked in to see what you had decided. That sounds like such an awful experience and I'm so sorry you had to face that. I hope you won't let this one experience completely deter you altogether if it's what you want to do. If you don't want to wear it then others will just have to get used to seeing you without it. If they have a problem with it then that's their problem; not yours. Be brave. Best of luck. :hugs:

PS: that guy deserves a slap.
    Thanks for the sweet message x And I do feel really disheartened tbh but I might try again tommorrow

ReputationRep:
    He said it as if he was sneering at me. Like 'eww wtf happened to you' sort of thing. Then the other hijabis looked over at me and they stared wide eyed at me and I just felt so small so I put it on in the toilets
    You can be friend with non-hijabis. We're funnier and would congratulate you for breaking your chains. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    that's up to you. Write down the pros vs cons and decide.

is this university of westminster?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a particulary devout muslim
    it's not mandated by your religion. it's just based on your culture which is surrounded by misogyny

(Original post by Angry Bird)
    that's up to you. Write down the pros vs cons and decide.

is this university of westminster?
    QMUL

This is so sad

Don't let peer pressure and jealousy prevent you from making your own choices.

And is someone approaches you to question negativity about the way you are dressed report them to your Uni

ReputationRep:
    I'm so so so scared tho. People are 100% going to stare and talk about me behind my back
    Who cares what people think or say, as long as you are comfortable in yourself.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.