Why you are an atheist?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bros R Us)
    why you making stupid assumptions for ? you commented and I asked you about it so why the hell does that make me lazy and ignorant ? it actually makes you look lazy and unable to support what you're saying bro.

bro I've read the bible and I don't remember reading any of that in there about the earth :eyebrow:

ive heard about the prophecy claims before and from other religions and none of them stand up to scrutiny tbh bro :no:. theyre usually very very vague statements that can be interpreted in basically any way one wants. so no there isn't convincing evidence both ways at all.

and atheist theories ?!?! pls bro, tell us all what exactly an atheist theory is :rofl:
    Well, no. I've given some basic examples. Your attitude was exactly what I was getting at though - clearly the evidence is out there on both sides, but clearly people like to make up their minds and conveniently ignore the stuff that's out there.

An atheist theory... as in, a theory that's held by those against theism... I don't think you're in a position to be a pedant when you can't even write properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    The problem with people having religous beliefs is that it doesnt just stay confined to them.If a large number of people have religous beleifs then it affects society.For example in the USA a president is unlikely to be elected if he doesnt believe in god.If those religous beliefs are homophobic or mysognistic then you end up with situations like in saudi and iran.With women covered head to toe and gays executed. So to say that religous beliefs do no harm is wrong.I also oppose it because I just think it cheapens our view of the universe.The universe is vast beyond imagining with trillions of stars planets and galaxies.It could go on forever.You know there could literally be anything out there.I find that the view of most religions is cheap.They invent tales about a diety in the sky but the reality is much more awe inspiring.Its like looking at a tiny pond and saying look how magnificent this is, without ever seeing the full ocean.The universe is much bigger and grander than religion makes it out to be and thats the main reason I dislike religion.
    Thats fair enough mate but i never said that religious beliefs do no harm. They have done and will continue to be used to justify pernicious and harmful actions in the future. Can i ask what religious books you have read?

My point is that its very easy nowadays to dismiss anyone who believes and has faith in a god or an afterlife as stupid or dumb or just simply content with living out their days without trying to find out as much as possible about the world. Like i said before it is possible to believe in an afterlife and also retain the scientific method of investigation and wonder. Religious people do not all just simply fill any gaps in their knowledge with "oh this is where god must be acting" They also look with wonder at the world and the universe. Some use it to justify dreadful actions yet on the other end of the scale it brings a great deal of comfort to people - many of whom, through no fault of their own are born into desperate poverty. Again, as Karl Marx said, Religion is the opiate of the masses, but since we are all going to die, why is this necessarily always a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    but it's not. making glib statements and then bashing those who refuse to believe it's true doesn't actually mean it is. it's like accusing those who accept evolution that they're narrow minded and silly for not taking the crackpot creationists seriously.

there doesn't appear to be much convincing evidence for god out there otherwise the age old question would have been proven and someone would have won a nobel prize for it :yes:. let's be serious, what actual hard evidence is there that a supernatural creator exists then ? not vague inferences from some ancient book, the cold hard irrefutable evidence ?

ehh ???? i think that even you at this point doesn't know what you're on about. what theories against ? all that atheists need is the lack of evidence and the obvious flaws in scriptures...
    That's exactly what a lot of atheists do, isn't it? I've not just made statements, this is stuff that's been written about everywhere if you care to do some research. For example, you said you've never read anything about the properties of the Earth in the earlier versions of the bible, however it's a well known fact, which already shows you're pretty ignorant to some things (a link here by the way, on the off-chance that you do wish to read something http://beginningandend.com/scientist...s-of-the-deep/ )

You could say the same for atheism too, then. There's a lack of "cold hard irrefutable evidence" for that too, or it'd be universally acknowledged and religion wouldn't exist. The Nobel Prize is a science award FFS...

As in, the creationist theory says that God made the earth - The Big Bang Theory, the atheists' theory, states the opposite. I can't believe I'm having to explain this to another adult human being...

ReputationRep:
    lmao you link some rubbish religious site where it mentions noah and the ark in the first paragraph ?! am I meant to take this seriously when we know no global flood happened :rofl:. where are the respected peer reviewed articles pls

no you really couldn't because atheism, as opposed to what many theists believe, isnt a theory or belief system of any kindness it's just lacking belief because no one can provide any.

boy oh boy. can't believe I have to explain to you that the Big Bang theory isn't an atheist theory, it's a science theory which doesn't depend on what it's proponents' personal beliefs about the supernatural are. you seem to think no theists believe in the Big Bang, where you been living ?? :erm:
    It's merely been proven that a global flood never happened, not that the flood didn't happen at all. Remnants of what's believed to be the ark have also been found, which again cannot be proven nor disproved. Which again is my whole point, noeither side can prove anything beyond all doubt.

That's exactly what I've been saying.

No. The creationist theory states that God created the Earth. The Big Bang says otherwise. Both theories are inherently contradictory toward the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    you can't (as one person was) cast aside religion on the basis that it relies on faith.
    Of course you can.

In fact, there are two definitions of "faith". The meaning that is relevant to science is really "confidence": confidence in the proven principles and the accepted theories - a confidence that is entirely justified. As I pointed out earlier, your computer works, and this is demonstrates how well this confdence is justified.

The meaning relevant to religion is "irrational belief". I bet you wish your prayers reliably worked as often as your computer does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel Atieh)
    Two kinds of people. I just want to hear your views.
    Don't take me wrong, but I am excited to read about it.
    it time efficient i don't have to go anywhere to show how much of an atheist i am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I've not even attempted to bring religion into it, so all that is practically irrelevant. What I did say is that there is proof of things that the bible said apparently happened at so-and-so a place and there are remnants in those places from the event. So there are bits of it that have turned out to be true, just as there are science theories that have been proven true. Yet, neither the existence of a God or the whole Big Bing Theory have been proven, so to me it makes no sense to wholeheartedly believe either of them. I see/hear a lot of people saying "Anyone intelligent couldn't possibly believe in the existence of a God" yet to me they're no more intelligent for putting their faith in something that's just theory. I refuse to put my belief in either until one of them is proven beyond doubt, which may never happen in my lifetime, in which case so be it, doesn't have any significant effect on my day-to-day life.
    Ok, but there is supporting evidence for the Big Bang Theory, although it was not observed. Of course, we don't know exactly what happened, but evidence gives us a pretty good picture. That's also why we have opposing theories, such as the Steady State Theory. I kind of understand where you're coming from, but scientific theories often aren't just "guesses" with no evidence or scientific basis, (they almost always have either or both, and if they are not yet evidenced they are often soon to be, before they are accepted by the scientific community) which some of the "science" in the Bible is. We cannot compare the Bible to scientific studies like this. The scientific studies often claim to be theories before they are evidenced beyond reasonable doubt. The Bible claims to be an unquestionable truth.

ReputationRep:
    lol bro. you say youre a science man but youre clearly lying because you don't even know what science is. science ain't just conjectures it's theories too and earlier on here you showed you don't know the difference between normal word theory and science theory..:erm:
    gwey mampy crab

ReputationRep:
    gunkona you renk buggaman
    to rass licky-licky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    to rass licky-licky
    Lossaz infanta-killer

ReputationRep:
    Lossaz infanta-killer

fyah fi yuh stakki bwoy

ReputationRep:
    Come on now, you're not kids. Stop the nonsense before you waste anymore of your own time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honour)
    Come on now, you're not kids. Stop the nonsense before you waste anymore of your own time.
    :cry2: soz fam *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    :cry2: soz fam *
    No worries cherie. In the meantime I will look into your asterisk syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honour)
    No worries cherie. In the meantime I will look into your asterisk syndrome.
    there are many people with far worse problems than me... i just take it one day at a time. *

ReputationRep:
    As much as I don't want to be, I am an athiest.

I just can't believe something that has no actual evidence. No proof.

Don't get me wrong, I've experienced 2 deaths in the family recently - one of them I was there when my grandad died from injuries falling down the stairs, and believe me, it was very distressing.

I've been listening to the bible and I went to sunday service - I suppose I'm just desperate for there to be something as rosy and lovely as what the christians believe in, but no matter what, i just can't believe it. The bible is a book - an important book, but fiction nontheless. It's a moral guide, probably written by some people a long long time ago who were fed up with all the hate and mistrust in a world of violence and desperation. It's not factual, and as much as I want to, I just can't believe all the supernatural "ascended to heaven" stuff.

Sure, I think Jesus was a real man, and had all the best intentions, and probably they embellished on his supernatural stuff somewhat for dramatic effect, but I also think he was probably eaten by wild animals after he died. After all, this is the middle east. Food is scarce, there are wild dogs and all sorts out there. Why, if someone came to a grave and found the person missing in such a place, they would think they somehow miraculously rose up to some ether, is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    because i dont see any godly actions on earth

ReputationRep:
    i possess the ability to think rationaly and didn't have abusive parents that tried to brainwash me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iThrow)
    i possess the ability to think rationaly and didn't have abusive parents that tried to brainwash me.
    *rationally

I think you'll find most religious people are entirely rational, and this 'brainwashing' thing you atheists imagine simply doesn't exist - questioning your faith is actually encouraged (by the Catholic church anyway). At least theists don't believe that things can come from nothing, or that something exists 'just because, like, it does, man', or live lives with total delusions of purpose, like irrational atheists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ==

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.